Cat not drinking water

Old October 26th 07, 09:40 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RPSinha

Default Cat not drinking water

I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
there to notice it.

Is this something to worry about or should I just leave water around
and let her nature take its course?

Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
(about the only leverage I have)?
Old October 26th 07, 09:45 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Oct 26, 3:40 pm, RPSinha wrote:
I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
there to notice it.

Is this something to worry about or should I just leave water around
and let her nature take its course?

Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
(about the only leverage I have)?

If she's getting an all-canned diet, she's most likely getting all the
water she needs from her diet. This is normal and nothing to worry
about. It's a good sign, actually! Of course, you should still have
water available at all times in case she needs some.

Old October 26th 07, 09:48 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AMUN[_2_]

"RPSinha" wrote in message
I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
there to notice it.

Likely.

Is this something to worry about or should I just leave water around
and let her nature take its course?

Unless you see dust clouds come out of kitty's mouth when it sneezes, no
worry.
Leave water around. and make sure its always fresh.

Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
(about the only leverage I have)?

As a long time cat owner,....THAT, I would like to see LOL

Old October 26th 07, 09:57 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
studio

On Oct 26, 4:40 pm, RPSinha wrote:
I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
there to notice it.

More than likely drinking when you don't see her.
She could also be drinking from other sources, and even rain water.

Is this something to worry about or should I just leave water around
and let her nature take its course?

Absolutely leave out fresh clean water on a daily basis regardless.

Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
(about the only leverage I have)?

You can't force a cat to do anything.

Old October 26th 07, 09:59 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RPSinha

: should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
: (about the only leverage I have)?
:
: As a long time cat owner,....THAT, I would like to see LOL

Notice that I wrote "try" and with considerable hopelessness while I
typed---wish they sold catnip flavored water.

I have posted a couple other questions, since you have the experience
please respond to those as well. Thanks.
Old October 27th 07, 12:38 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"AMUN" wrote in message ...

"RPSinha" wrote in message
I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
there to notice it.

Likely.

Is this something to worry about or should I just leave water around
and let her nature take its course?

Unless you see dust clouds come out of kitty's mouth when it sneezes, no
worry.
Leave water around. and make sure its always fresh.

Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
(about the only leverage I have)?

As a long time cat owner,....THAT, I would like to see LOL

Reminds me of a joke by "Bugs" Baer, a columnist for the old New York
Journal American.....He said, "You can lead a horse to water, but if you can
get him to swim on his back, you're got something."

Old October 27th 07, 12:40 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"studio" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 26, 4:40 pm, RPSinha wrote:
I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
there to notice it.

More than likely drinking when you don't see her.
She could also be drinking from other sources, and even rain water.

My cats love rain water, old dirty fountain water, and any water that isn't
fresh and chlorine smelling.

Old October 27th 07, 04:49 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mike[_3_]

You can't force a cat to do anything.

There's really nothing you can force a cat to do, is there? You can't force
them to go to sleep, to sit still for a picture, to be affectionate when you
want or anything.

Mike in Illinois

oups.com...

Old October 27th 07, 06:32 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
studio

On Oct 26, 7:40 pm, "William Graham" wrote:
My cats love rain water, old dirty fountain water, and any water that isn't
fresh and chlorine smelling.

Yes.
Big Mama has 2 water supplies outside seperate from the elements...
yet if it rains, she'll drink that instead.

Old October 27th 07, 07:53 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Oct 26, 3:40 pm, RPSinha wrote:
I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
there to notice it.

Is this something to worry about or should I just leave water around
and let her nature take its course?

Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
(about the only leverage I have)?

Your cat will definatly tell you if its thirsty! Yours sounds ok,
don't worry! If you don't see signs of dehydration, she's fine. Cats
need fresh water everyday so change it daily! Also cats can't be
forced to do anything.