SERIOUS: Pet food recall

Old March 18th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Julie Porter

Default SERIOUS: Pet food recall

http://tinyurl.com/ytr3yr is another resource for pet owners as to
which foods are being recalled. Thanks to you and to Julie Porter

for
posting other links that may prove useful as pet owners try and

figure
out which foods they have and which they need to discard (and

PLEASE
do this for the sake of your pet!).

--- Cory

Thanks. And now Hill's announces, too, that it will recall its

"Savory
Cuts" foods:

http://www.hillspet.com/menu_foods/Menu_Foods_en_US.htm

I'm amazed at how many foods are affected. When they started talking
about Hills, Iams and Eukaneuba, it got my attention.

Julie

Dry foods are not effected. Cinder and Beauty are on dry foods with
toona ans pounce as treats, so they are safe.

Same here. We primarily eat KD dry and Science Diet dry, with a daily
can of KD, which wasn't on the affected list.

Old March 18th 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Julie Porter

"Stacey Weinberger" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
http://tinyurl.com/ytr3yr is another resource for pet owners as to
which foods are being recalled. Thanks to you and to Julie Porter

for
posting other links that may prove useful as pet owners try and

figure
out which foods they have and which they need to discard (and

PLEASE
do this for the sake of your pet!).

--- Cory

Thanks. And now Hill's announces, too, that it will recall its

"Savory
Cuts" foods:

http://www.hillspet.com/menu_foods/Menu_Foods_en_US.htm

I'm amazed at how many foods are affected. When they started talking
about Hills, Iams and Eukaneuba, it got my attention.

Julie

I'm really frustrated because the iams site has been down since

yesterday
evening.

Stacey

I was frustrated because Menu waited a day to post its list. It said
Friday it would post the list Saturday, and even then it wasn't
complete!

Old March 18th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Julie Porter

Apparently they aren't -- they are saying the cause may have been some
kind of wheat gluten that was only used in "cuts and gravy" foods, not
dry food or regular canned foods (which we refer to as Plop, ha.)

Julie

"Stormmee" wrote in message
are any dry foods affected that you can see? soft
link.net...

Old March 18th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Stormmee

we kallz dry fudz nesiari efil, den der iz real wet fud, anna mush, I likez
muzh, OEJ... dry fud iz da onliezt fud, Trudi

Old March 19th 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Cory

On Mar 18, 10:34 am, "Stacey Weinberger"
wrote:

I'm really frustrated because the iams site has been down since yesterday
evening.

Stacey

Big surprise... methinks they are being inundated with e-mails from
angry consumers, and they just wanted it all to stop, so they shut
down the website altogether.

Sorry, but the major cat food makers/distributors have had an
apathetic attitude toward this whole debacle since the start. As
someone pointed out early in this thread (I think), all they seem to
be worried about is how much money the recall is going to cost them.

Bah...

This recall is a financial and PR nightmare for all the major cat food
brands, I realize. However, the attitudes of the affected companies
IS NOT helping any!

--- Cory

Old March 19th 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Marvel

"Stormmee" wrote in message
[...]

I was so frustrated trying to obtain the data and the eukanuba site was
down, I finally got the info from here
Thanks.

What a shock one company makes all those foods, if I pay for Iams I might be
getting Bargain basement .

Old March 20th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Cory

On Mar 19, 1:40 pm, "Marvel" wrote:
snip...
I was so frustrated trying to obtain the data and the eukanuba site was
down, I finally got the info from here
Thanks.

The mainstream media (i.e. CBS, ABC, NBC) has finally gotten wind of
the story. I saw CBS and ABC reports on the news tonight.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2583072.shtml

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=2963443&page=1

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17650075/

All three stories have some way of finding out about foods/brands
being recalled, whether it's a link to the manufacturer's website, or
phone numbers you can call.

--- (Unca) Cory

Old March 20th 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Julie Porter

What a shock one company makes all those foods, if I pay for Iams I

might be
getting Bargain basement .

No, no, it's a CONTRACT company. They make foods for lots of different
companies, under contract, per the recipe they are given. The foods are
NOT the same. They are just being produced, under different contracts,
from different recipes, at the same place. A lot of human food is made
this way. IE, Coca Cola has contracts with bottling companies that make
Coke, but they also make K Cola for a different customer from a
different recipe.

For some reason people are getting the idea that all foods made at a
contract company are the same food. That's not what a contract company
does.

Thanks,

Julie

Old March 20th 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Julie Porter

Our local news (Dallas area) did stories about the thousands of dollars
people are spending to keep their pets alive. I wonder if Menu Foods
will be forced to pay these bills. Surely they will have to bear some
costs.

Julie

Old March 20th 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Julie Porter

From one of my Yahoo lists:

"Crossposting requested!
I'm a contributing editor at Universal Press Syndicate's Pet
Connection, and we have created a central information area about the
pet food recall.
While we're still investigating this, it's apparent to all of us that
many more pets have died and been made ill than are currently being
reported -- particularly cats. We have set up a database to receive
reports from owners of affected pets, and are also interested in
talking to vets who have treated them. We'll have more information on
Monday.
Please visit http://www.petconnection.com for up to date information
or if you have a pet who became ill from eating recalled foods.
Christie Keith Contributing Editor, Universal Press Syndicate's Pet
Connection
http://www.petconnection.com "