Upper Respiratory Infection - HELP - I'm DESPERATE!

Old April 2nd 04, 04:42 AM
Mary

Should it take this long to get rid of it?? Could it be something
else? Anyone else had this problem???

It could be allergies. Is nasal discharge clear and liquidy? that would be
allergies. If it's green, yellow, then it's an infection. Maybe he needs a
different type of antibiotics. How about trying some olive leaf extract also.
Some people in kitty rescue just use this for URI's instead of antibiotics.
I've used it with squirrels and it does work. Does your cat have a pushed in
face like a Persian? It takes them longer to get rid of URI. When he starts
blowing green boogies on you, he's finally getting over the infection.
Old April 2nd 04, 06:07 AM

URIs are usually caused by the herpes virus. Antibiotics that are
prescribed will do nothing to cure the symptoms caused by the virus, but
are generally used to treat/prevent secondary infections that can occur.
In conjuction with the treatment your cat is getting, you need to start
giving your cat 250 mg of L-Lysine twice a day. Get the form that comes
in capsules as it is relatively tasteless and can be mixed with canned
food. Lysine works to prevent the herpes virus from replicating which in
turn can prevent or minimize infections and will help a cat to recover
from a full blown infection. It would be wise to continue
supplementation until your cat is completely symptom free for at least a
week or two. HTH.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old April 2nd 04, 06:39 AM
Lotte

She may have allergies, or a mass in her sinus passage. Your vet would
likely have found a mass -- if she hasn't checked for that, ask her to. I
have a cat that is allergic to house dust and she gets sneezy & wheezy if
the house gets too dusty. I recently discovered I'm also allergic, so I've
invested in a HEPA vacuum, and got rid of a lot of dust-gathering items
(rugs, carpets, old books, fabric upholstered furniture, drapes all hold
dust). If she's having a really bad day, I give her a 1/4 tab of
Benadryl -- but please check with your vet before giving your cat
anything -- Lotte

"desiree" wrote in message
om...
I've had my cat for almost 2 months now. She's about 9 months old and
has been congested since I got her. She's extremely congested and
wheezes, but other than that, she's fine! She runs around, eats,
drinks, uses the litter box - all normally. She's been to the vet a
few times and is currently on day 13 of her THIRD antibiotic. She has
another week to go on this one, but I don't see any noticable
improvement in her congestion.
This is already costing me a lot of money, and the vet suggested I
bring her in again for a re-check.

Old April 2nd 04, 03:56 PM

Connie wrote:
one should get a definite diagnosis
before treating as there are actually many
causes of URI

The cat has a definite diagnosis of URI and the fact that it has been
going on for so long suggests it is viral. Supplementing with Lysine
poses NO risks and may very well help. The OP got this cat when it was 7
months old and it became ill immediately so, considering those two
factors, it is likely it came from a shelter environment where URI's are
common and mostly caused by the herpes virus. Money is becoming an issue
for her as well and instead of doing more costly diagnostics when she's
pretty much run the gamut of meds and dealt with the vet numerous times,
she can try the simple and inexpensive treatment of adding Lysine, which
is proven to help herpes related URI's and eye issues. She is obviously
running out of options and this is one she can try that is not harmful
and may very well help.

Maybe you should pay attention to what's going on before nixing a
workable solution to the OP's problem. Or go back to alt.pets.cats where
people accept your mostly poor, useless advice without question. Advice
like a recent post here where you told someone it's fine and dandy to
give up an *18 year old* cat because it has some health issues and
"sometimes it must be done." Your posts often make me cringe and I was
really hoping you wouldn't find this group.

Old April 3rd 04, 04:02 AM
~*Connie*~

I was paying attention thank you very much.. Its you that doesn't seem to
be.. I said a definite diagnoses.. not of URI but of herpes as you were
suggesting it was. Its amazing how you can diagnose over the internet..
when a vet who has looked at the cat three different times has not..
STUNNING.. you should get your own TV show..

And frankly, giving up an 18 year old cat if you can't take care of it is a
far better solution than keeping it and letting it suffer. There are lots
of people out there looking to help out older pets..

And most of my "poor, useless advice" comes directly from the vets I work
with on a daily basis, and the shelter I have been volunteering for for
years that has one of the best reputations in the area. Its amazing how any
of us could possibly survive with out your wondrous insight.