Antibiotic in his eye

Old June 12th 05, 02:54 PM

Default Antibiotic in his eye

Hi,

So Kitkats eye got scratched and the vet gave me some goop to put in
his eye. Day 1 had come and gone and we have been unsuccessful. Any
hints? She said it may just heal on its own - I am wondering if she
knew we would have trouble.

Thanks

Danielle

Old June 12th 05, 03:33 PM

What was unsucessful? Did you not get it in the eye, or did it not work
yet?

I hear to try stuff like this just after the cat wakes up and they will
resist less. Could try trimming (NOT!!! declawing) his claws to make it
easier on you!

It is not instant working, last time my vet told me to use this
(vetropolycin) goop she said use twice a day for one week.

I however am not a vet so idealy I would advise to continue use as the
Dr. advised and call them on monday morning.

GodSpeed, Karl.

Old June 12th 05, 04:36 PM

So Kitkats eye got scratched and the vet
gave me some goop to put in his eye. Day
1 had come and gone and we have been
unsuccessful. Any hints?

An easy way to put "goop" in your cat's eye is to tip their head
upwards, close the eye and put a strip of it right on and along the line
where the top and bottom eyelid meets when closed. The cat won't see it
coming and when you open their eye most of the goop will go right on the
eyeball. It probably will help the first few times if you have someone
hold the cat so you can dispense the medication.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old June 12th 05, 06:37 PM
Hopitus

I have had a "scratched eyeball" and it is *painful*, I can tell you
firsthand! Do what Megan says but wrap cat in very large body towel tightly
and someone else is holding cat while you deal w/eye and meds. Aside: eye
med cream, I would almost guarantee, does not *hurt* -nowhere near pain of
scratched eyeball.
P.S. - this maneuver is a lot easier than claw-clipping but still needs two
hoomins to complete.

Old June 13th 05, 05:13 PM
Phil P.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

So Kitkats eye got scratched and the vet gave me some goop to put in
his eye. Day 1 had come and gone and we have been unsuccessful. Any
hints? She said it may just heal on its own - I am wondering if she
knew we would have trouble.

Pet your cat's head with your index and middle fingers and rub her cheek
with your thumb at the same time. Hold the tube of medication in the other
hand; squeeze a little to bring the med to the top. In one swift motion-
hold the cat's head with your petting fingers, bring your thumb up from the
cheek and pull the skin below her eye down with your thumb. This will
create a little pocket between the lower lid and the eyeball where you can
drop or lay-in the medication without touching the eye or lower lid with the
tube.

Its very important to wait 5 minutes between consecutive topical solution or
emulsion applications and 20 minutes between ointment applications to ensure
good absorption.

Its wise to learn this technique well because if your cat ever develops an
infectious ocular disease such as conjunctivitis, its absolutely imperative
that the medication tube or vial does not touch the eye or lower lid
otherwise you'll contiminate the tube and infect the other eye and pass the
infection back and forth from one eye to the other.

Best of luck,

Phil.