Petmate Performa litterbox

Old September 18th 03, 06:08 AM
Adam Helberg

Default Petmate Performa litterbox

I have the Littermaid but saw the new Performa box at Petsmart. Anyone have experience with
this and how it compares with Littermaid?

Adam

Old September 20th 03, 06:01 PM
F. Robert Falbo

In message k.net, "Adam
Helberg" wrote:
I have the Littermaid but saw the new Performa box at Petsmart. Anyone have
experience with
this and how it compares with Littermaid?

We just got one installed about 3 days ago, and so far...

1. Nice overall design, visually, but... (based on Scoop-Away Litter)

2. It uses a steel rake, which is removable to clean. A very good idea,
but the tines are too narrow, so it tends to break clumps apart on the way to
the holding area. The speed is about half that of the LitterMaid - no big
deal, and the motor/mechanism is a little quieter.

3. The design for the tracks puts it outside of the litter section, a real
plus compared to the LitterMaid, which constantly gets litter in its track.
And an overall shell covers that track.

4. Bad news - The holding area is a real abortion. After the rest of the
PetMate, the holding area looks like someone designed it that never used it.
It uses a bag similar to a shopping bag, but with an extended flap that is
supposed to fit over the lid, but doesn't actually fit well. It's hard to
describe how bad the design really is. We have lots of cats, and while the
design of that crap holder/bag/cover might be ok for someone that empties it
every few days, I don't have that luxury - it's every day with 2 LitterMaids
and this PetSmart, along with a "manual-empty" litter pan.
--
-bob-
MICE Newsreader - Powered by BeOS 5.03 Pro

Old September 20th 03, 07:30 PM
Adam Helberg

"F. Robert Falbo" wrote in message
news
In message k.net, "Adam
Helberg" wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the report. I have a Littermaid Mega. Is the steel rake the same shape as the
plastic Littermaid? I find the rake sometimes misses small poop clump on the bottom because of
the clearance from the bottom. Also I wished the distance between tines was a little smaller
for it also missed small poops.

Also my cat like to lounge on top of the privacy tent, on top of which I placed a pillow for
her, and Performa shell is curved.

adam

Old September 20th 03, 11:03 PM
F. Robert Falbo

In message .net, "Adam
Helberg" wrote:

Thanks for the report. I have a Littermaid Mega. Is the steel rake the same
shape as the plastic Littermaid?

The PetMate's tines are straight, round steel that extend down from a steel bar.

I find the rake sometimes misses small poop clump on the bottom because of
the clearance from the bottom.

The bottom of the PetMate is a clear plastic liner, and I think the tines
actually ride right on it

Also I wished the distance between tines was a little smaller
for it also missed small poops.

The tines of the LitterMaid regular, Plus, & Mega are the same, at 7/16"
spacing. The PetMate's tines are at 9/16" spacing, which would make your
problem worse.

Also my cat like to lounge on top of the privacy tent, on top of which I
placed a pillow for her, and Performa shell is curved.

No cover for ours. They have enough places to sleep, which no longer includes
my old CRT that got a hairball puked into it.

Old September 21st 03, 08:50 PM
Adam Helberg

"F. Robert Falbo" wrote in message
.. .
In message .net, "Adam
Helberg" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info.

Adam

Old September 28th 03, 06:13 PM
Adam Helberg

"F. Robert Falbo" wrote in message
.. .

I have a question for you. I have two cats, a 3 year old female and just got a 16 week old male
kitten 3 weeks ago. The older cat still gets upset over the kitten but is gradually getting
used to him. She uses a Littermaid and the kitten uses a regular box that I have to clean twice
a day. Do you think I can eventually get both cats to use the Littermaid or do I need to get a
second automatic box? Is it true I need one box per cat? If I do get another box do you
recommend the Littermaid or Performa?

Adam