Samson and the great moth hunt (moth-o-phobes beware)

Old July 18th 05, 06:00 PM
Debra

Default Samson and the great moth hunt (moth-o-phobes beware)

If you really don't like moths and butterflies, stop reading now!

We saw it at the same time, one small gray lonely moth flying in the
hallway, dimly lit by the light from the computer room. Samson
immediately chittered at it to try to entice it closer. The moth
simply flew into the unlit kitchen. He looked at me and meowed a
complaint to me for letting it into the house, then turned and
followed it into the darkness.

I think to myself, "Arg, aren't moths supposed to fly towards the
light? Now I've got to chase it down before Samson tries to climb the
walls to catch it." Well, I get up, cross the hall, turn on the
kitchen light and flail pathetically at the fluttering thing just out
of reach. The moth simply evaded my hand and went back into the hall,
heading for the dark end of the house. I'm thinking, "Ok, I've got a
light phobic moth here and I can only see it with a light on. Great.
I may never get it." Samson is no help either, you see he's an idiot
savant of the cat kind and my flailing hand distracted him from his
prey so he still thinks it is in the kitchen. At least I didn't have
to worry about tripping over him while I tried to catch the moth with
one hand. When that failed, I flailed around until it flew a little
lower, and a little lower still. Then I had a lightbulb moment and I
tried the clap method with my hands curved to allow room for the moth.
Yech! It worked a little too good, I squished the moth instead of
catching it.

I've washed my hands and written this post and Samson is still looking
for the moth in the kitchen. He is now calling for it like he does
when he loses on of his toys. Some hunter he is.

Debra in VA