Dry Food Nightmare

Old June 11th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
S H

Default Dry Food Nightmare

This is just a heads up and warning to those who own cats, particularly
males. It is about my experience with Purina Cat Chow. This is what actually
happened to our cat, Overgaard, and what I have learned from my veterinarian
and the internet. Let me make this clear though. This is not just about
Purina. It appears most dry food can create major problems in cats. You
would never know it, though, if you are like most who have relied on
commercials and package information. That is my whole point. The
manufacturers are not being honest.

On March 4, 2008, Overgaard became very listless and would cry when petted.
This was in the afternoon so I figured we would wait until the following
morning to see how he was doing. He was no better so I took him to our
veterinarian.

He checked his abdomen and said his bladder was huge. Obviously it was not
emptying. The first thing the vet asked was what kind of food I was feeding
him. I had been feeding him Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula since he turned
one. He was now about two years old.

Without hesitation, the vet said the food was the problem. He told me that
male cats have a susceptibility to produce crystals in their bladders which
can clog the urethra. He said the high "ash" content in Purina was the
problem and contributes to that susceptibility.

I did some research, as I had never heard of this, and found it to be a
controversial subject. The conclusion I've come to is that my vet is
correct. He also says he does not personally know of any other vets who don't
also believe this to be a problem. Overgaard spent three days in the
hospital. Although much better now, he is still not 100%. This is June 10.

I was outraged about this. Not only because of paying over six hundred
dollars, but, more important that Purina does not see fit to include some
kind of warning on the packaging. Perhaps urging owners of male cats to
discuss this with their vets first.

I ended up filing a claim with Purina which was handed over to Sedgwick CMS
who handles their claims. After going around in circles for several weeks
with them, leaving messages and not getting any response, I finally got an
offer in the mail. They, in essence, said that the food has no problems and
that my, and all the other vets, are wrong. What I found particularly
interesting was that they said in the letter to me how important diet is.
Well duh. That's what I and my vet is saying. They went on to offer me $250
to basically shut up about it. I would have had to sign, and have notarized
a release form taking all my rights away, including even speaking of it
anymore. Naturally I turned it down.

So, that's the story in a nut shell. All I ask is for anyone reading this to
be cautious. Ask your vets advice on what to feed your cats, and, read the
wealth of knowledge on cat forums. Make an informed decision. As to store
bought brands, my vet says IAMS is a very good brand. Once Overgaard is off
the prescription food, what ever I switch him to, I certainly will never
feed him Purina again and urge others to do the same.

If you would like any further information, please feel free to contact me at
.

Old June 11th 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I am sorry this happened to your cat. There are many people on this
board who agree that dry food (of any kind) is not species appropriate
for cats, myself included. I strongly suggest you read these:

http://www.catinfo.org/

http://www.catnutrition.org/diabetes.php

The book, Your Cat:
http://www.amazon.com/Your-Cat-Simpl...98015&sr= 8-1

All three discuss health problems related to dry food.
Old June 11th 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
zob

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:01:01 -0700, "S H" wrote:

[...]

I'm truly sorry that your cat had this urinary tract issue -- which
is very common in male cats, and it does tend to be exacerbated by
high-ash content foods. But IMO You also need to take full personal
responsibility for not having armed yourself with knowledge of what
you were feeding your cat and having acted accordingly. We're always
looking to blame someone else. If you get clogged arteries from high
cholesterol, are you going to sue Land O'Lakes?

My cats eat dry cat food, but I have always made sure that it's a
low-ash product because it's common knowledge that high ash diets can
cause crystals to build up and lead to urinary tract issues. And keep
in mind that only a small % of cats that this happens to, probably due
to a genetic predisposition to the condition. Just like everyone who
eats butter doesn't have a heart attack. I had to have an
angioplasty last October for blocked coronary arteries. Should I sue
the manufacturers of the butter, eggs and milk that I was eating?
Maybe the ice cream manufacturers? How about MacDonalds and Burger
King for selling me all those greasy burgers?

I think you get my point.

---
Zob
Old June 11th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Jun 11, 10:27*am, "Rene S." wrote:
I am sorry this happened to your cat. There are many people on this
board who agree that dry food (of any kind) is not species appropriate
for cats, myself included. I strongly suggest you read these:

http://www.catinfo.org/

http://www.catnutrition.org/diabetes.php

The book, Your Cat:http://www.amazon.com/Your-Cat-Simpl...dp/0312358016/...

All three discuss health problems related to dry food.

Another important piece of advice is to not always trust your vet when
it comes to the "best" food for your cat. Many vets sell Science Diet
or other brands and often get their nutritional training from SD, so
of course they will recommend those foods. Sadly, most vets are
uneducated in feline nutrition. Your vet mentionend Iams, which still
isn't that great of a food. Check the ingredient list and you'll see.
Old June 11th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dejablues[_4_]

"S H" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Consider yourself lucky. I'm picking up my 3-year-old cat today, after he
spent a week at the vet, having undergone several catheterizations and
finally, PU surgery. It cost $1900.00.

It wasn't caused by food, however - a small urethra and protein plaques were
his undoing. The vet said that some male cats block, and you never know when
it'll happen or why.

Old June 12th 08, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"S H" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Go to:

http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm Scroll down to:

"Dry Food vs Canned Food. Which is really better?"

This is the the original and definitive web page on feline nutrition and why
dry food is deleterious to a cat's health.

nightmare mlbriggs Cat anecdotes 49 October 26th 06 03:17 AM
Sort of OT - Cat nightmare KellyH Cat health & behaviour 1 February 15th 05 03:29 AM
Nox had a nightmare Enfilade Cat anecdotes 2 January 11th 05 05:08 PM
Nightmare ---MIKE--- Cat health & behaviour 1 December 12th 04 09:39 PM
cat nightmare! Jeanette Cat anecdotes 7 January 31st 04 02:47 PM