Now that most of the shock has worn off....

Old July 6th 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Now that most of the shock has worn off....

bobblespin wrote:
Jane wrote in

I can see that such concerns would be valid, especially when
somebody had been blindsided like that. However, I still think
they could have treated her like a human being by letting someone
accompany her to get her purse and any other personal items. I
know that when I was working, I had various things of my own in
or on my desk.

Joy

Exactly! The guy who got fired a couple of weeks ago for gross
insubordination, at least *he* got to pack up his own office! On
the other hand, he was also perp-walked out the door by *five*
police officers. I could look at it as a blessing that I didn't
get perp- walked. It was very quiet.

Jane

When they announced to the staff where I worked years ago that half
of us would be laid off soon, we were in shock. However, they
cheered us up by saying it wouldn't be done on a Friday. They were
serious. Apparently human resources folks did a study which showed
that letting people go at the end of the week spoils their weekend!
What planet do these people live on?

Bobble

They aren't people. They're a cog in a vast machine. I worked 7AM-3:30PM;
they graciously let me work until 3PM before informing me my services were
no longer required. Oh, but it wasn't a Friday. So I guess I had a good
weekend. LOL

Jill

Old July 6th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Charleen Welton

I'm so sorry. Hopefully better things are ahead for you.
Charleen
"Jane" wrote in message
I got FIRED on Thursday!! There was no issues, no warning, no clue.
The project manager just said that he needed to speak to me, and that
was it. They wanted me Off The Project, and I wasn't even allowed to
me. My co-workers have to pack up the rest of my stuff.

I've been there almost exactly 4 years. Everybody seems to like me. A
couple of departments think I can walk on water because I always take
the time to take care of them properly (helping them with computer
stuff). One of my co-workers called me at home to find out details,
and he says that this is 'messed up'. Even the project manager was
****ed. There's something funny going on, and he needs ask some
questions. Meanwhile, I have full pay until the end of July, and
benefits until the end of August. That's it. 2 months to find a new
job.

I spent most of Friday evening on the phone, yelling that 'that Rat
******* FIRED me!!' I had to get that out of my system, you see,
because calling him 'that rat *******' in an interview wouldn't go
over well. *grin* Officially, this is going to be called a layoff,
so getting a new job shouldn't be a problem.

I would enjoy this 'vacation' so much more if I knew when the ending
would be.

*sigh*

The Princess Rita doesn't seem to care that I'm home. I think this is
going to hit really hard on Monday, when I have nowhere to go.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

Old July 6th 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jul 5, 5:31*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
*I worked in I.T. and while I could
have done some damage I couldn't have done it without taking a few minutes
to write a Unix script and uucp it to all the servers. *Not something you
can do if you don't have advance notice.

Someone I know who shall remain nameless was treated appallingly by a
company he worked for he had a little programme written and curled up
inside the mainframe and whenever they called him to a meeting he
activated it and when he got back to his desk he could de-activate
it...one day they sacked him (he had strong grounds for an unfair
dismissal case but these things cost money) and they escorted him out
of building.

Several months later at a random date (but picked so it wasn't going
to affect the other employees pay days)...the whole system
collapsed.....

I don;t usually condone this sort of thing but.....in that case I'll
make an exception

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old July 6th 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jul 5, 7:49*am, Jane wrote:
I got FIRED on Thursday!! *There was no issues, no warning, no clue.
The project manager just said that he needed to speak to me, and that
was it. *

That's terrible and over here as several other people have said
completely illegal

Purrs for a better job to come out of this

Old July 6th 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Marina" wrote in message
Adrian wrote:
Jane wrote:
I got FIRED on Thursday!! There was no issues, no warning, no clue.
The project manager just said that he needed to speak to me, and that
was it. They wanted me Off The Project, and I wasn't even allowed to
me. My co-workers have to pack up the rest of my stuff.

snip

{{{{{{{{{ Jane }}}}}}}}} The way you got fired would be illegal here.
Purrs that you find an even better job asap.

It would be illegal here, too. Purrs are on-going.

If the labor movement hadn't been all but totally crushed in this country
over the past 25 years it would be illegal here, too; or there would be
contracts and work rules that prevented it.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old July 6th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Jul 5, 11:06 pm, Shiral wrote:
On Jul 5, 7:49 am, Jane wrote:

[...]

I'm so sorry Jane. What a rotten end to the week. I hope the project
manager DOES ask questions, and maybe gets the rat ******* in so much
trouble they have to give you your job back. Failing that, I hope you
get a much better job very soon!

Melissa

I was surfing the news online and came across this job-loss article...
perhaps we could learn something from it?

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-arti..._you_fired-427

Check it out.

The most important bullet point was this one, IMO:
"Don't disclose. You don't have to disclose lifestyle choices or
off-the-clock activities unless there is a clear link to your ability to
perform the job, Secunda said."

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Theresa,

Old July 6th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
alisont via CatKB.com

Purrs that you find a better job soon!

The one time I got fired, totally unjustified, they actually let me work half
days for 6 weeks while I looked for another job - the most miserable lousy 6
weeks of my life. There's something to be said for being able to move on and
not dragging out the grieveing.

I did find a much better job which radically changed my future for the better.
If I saw that boss today I would say "thank you for kicking me out of your
lousy petty little company" She did get fired about 6 months after I left.
Snicker.

I did do some talking to lawyers at the time and found that most southern
states are "right to work" states and they can basically fire you for any
reason (or no reason) as long as it is not your race, sex, religion, or
handicap.

--
http://www.serenityscenes.com/

Old July 6th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jul 6, 10:38*am, "alisont via CatKB.com" u11078@uwe wrote:

If I saw that boss today I would say "thank you for kicking me out of your
lousy petty little company" *

I would say that to the boss that bullied me out of a job- "Hey thanks
to you I make nearly twice as much money after tax a month! I work
less hours! I don't do weekends! I get better perks! I get more
leave!"

What I wouldn't say, which is the truth is "Despite all the above the
one thing I really can't forgive you for is throwing me out of a badly
paid job with weekends and more hours and less leave - but a job I
loved and was required to think at from time to time!"

Old July 6th 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Jane wrote:
On Jul 5, 8:15 am, outsider wrote:
Jane wrote in news:4aca6bb2-547f-434f-aefd-
:

[...]

What reason was given?

Andy

The boss claimed that I didn't know my job well enough. Anyone who
actually *works* with me says that he's a liar and it's a bogus
charge. I'm contract, he's government, so there's no chance of
fighting it. They are talking about outsourcing the data center, and
this may be just the first in a long line of unfair firings just so
the government doesn't have to pay severance.

Your tax dollars at work, folks.

What did I say about "the economy"? I mentioned the widespread
downsizing and layoffs due to plant closures, but left out
"outsourcing". They can get by with paying workers in foreign countries
much less, so why not simply ADD to the employment woes of our own
citizens? Continued purrs that you find a better job to replace the one
you've lost. (It sounds like you might have grounds for a lawsuit, but
of course that takes time and money, with no guarantee you can make the
charges stick.)
Old July 6th 08, 10:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

outsider wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
:

Another casualty of our "downsizing" economy, perhaps? However the
White House tries to "tweak" the statistics, huge quarterly losses,
industry closing more and more plants and branch offices, and thousands
of workers (in nearly all fields) being laid off does NOT indicate an
economic "boom". (And cutting welfare payments and veteran's benefits
to help fund an unjustified - and unsuccessful - war only makes the
situation worse!)

nahh it's the dems fault. Everything that this gov does that goes bad is
the dems fault. If the reps were in office for 30 years it would still be
the dems fault. If every dem was dead for 30 years it would still be their
faults.

I assume you meant that facetiously? (I didn't see a smiley, but
obviously.......) Actually, it's not so much the situation as the
willful blindness I was criticizing, although the war in Iraq has a lot
to do with our present economic woes.