identity crisis

Old July 13th 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat[_2_]

Default identity crisis

Poor Francis. He adores his hens. He will sit watching them with an entirely
quizzical expression on his lovely feline face as they tuck into grass;
scratch about in the soil looking for bugs, worms, snails, grit... He is,
however, confused in his sense of identity. He has not been the same since
Anode stuck her nether regions in his face and popped out an egg as she did
so. It doesn't help that The Laydeez have taken it upon themselves to follow
me about as they free-range in the garden. They have discovered that if they
follow me into the house they can see the fount of all wonder: the
microwave. For, lo! From the fount of all wonder doth come forth delicious
manna of the gods: warm sweetcorn. So once they follow me into the house,
into the kitchen, and they stand in front of the fount of all wonder, heads
bobbing about, happy clucking sounds made and behind them is Francis,
watching... I feed The Laydeez their treat of sweetcorn out in the garden. I
place it on a dish and this is leapt upon by merrily clucking hens, followed
by hoovering up of golden yellow goodness and scratching it out of the dish,
splattering it about and they chase up each scattered kernel. Francis looks
on. Once The Laydeez have hoovered up the vast majority, they are joined by
a lovely black & white boycat who has decided that as The Laydeez seem to be
so obviously enjoying the yellow jewels, they must taste good.

I now have a cat who thinks he's a hen. He has taken to eating their
sweetcorn. Sigh...

Old July 13th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_2_]

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:33:14 +0100, wafflycat wrote:

I now have a cat who thinks he's a hen. He has taken to eating their
sweetcorn. Sigh...

That *is* unusual: usually, they want it on the cob
(http://67.54.246.139:9000/tdavis/cats/happiness/corn.jpg). I have two
others that eat sweet corn - all prefer it on the cob. None like canned
corn.

--

T.E.D. ) MST (Missouri University of Science and Technology)
used to be UMR (University of Missouri - Rolla).

Old July 13th 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

wafflycat wrote:
[...]

That brings to mind a lovely picture. :-) I'm sure Miranda and Caliban would
love to join him, when they get back from the island.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old July 13th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:33:14 +0100, wafflycat wrote:

I now have a cat who thinks he's a hen. He has taken to eating
their
sweetcorn. Sigh...

That *is* unusual: usually, they want it on the cob
(http://67.54.246.139:9000/tdavis/cats/happiness/corn.jpg). I
have two
others that eat sweet corn - all prefer it on the cob. None like
canned
corn.

I take it the LayDeez had a rough upbringing and are delighted with
whatever form is available.

I love these stories and keep wondering if it would be possible to
keep a few hens in my back yard. What to they need? Shelter, water,
food?

Jo

Old July 13th 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"wafflycat" wrote in message
Poor Francis. He adores his hens. He will sit watching them with an
entirely

(snip)

You have such a charming family.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old July 13th 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Ok, now is your chance to make some money. Take a video and sent it to the
funniest video program on TV. Even if you have to get someone else to take
as you go about the business of feeding the clan, it would be worth it.
This has to be really great.

Old July 14th 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:33:14 +0100, wafflycat wrote:

I now have a cat who thinks he's a hen. He has taken to eating their
sweetcorn. Sigh...

That *is* unusual: usually, they want it on the cob
(http://67.54.246.139:9000/tdavis/cats/happiness/corn.jpg). I have two
others that eat sweet corn - all prefer it on the cob. None like canned
corn.

--

T.E.D. ) MST (Missouri University of Science and
Technology)
used to be UMR (University of Missouri - Rolla).

I used to have a couple of cats that also liked corn on the cob.

Joy

Old July 14th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Ted Davis wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:33:14 +0100, wafflycat wrote:

I now have a cat who thinks he's a hen. He has taken to eating their
sweetcorn. Sigh...

That *is* unusual: usually, they want it on the cob
(http://67.54.246.139:9000/tdavis/cats/happiness/corn.jpg). I have two
others that eat sweet corn - all prefer it on the cob. None like canned
corn.

All of mine have eaten both canned and frozen and fresh off the cob.

Old July 15th 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat[_2_]

"Jofirey" wrote in message

I take it the LayDeez had a rough upbringing and are delighted with
whatever form is available.

They ate some cat food this morning...

I love these stories and keep wondering if it would be possible to keep a
few hens in my back yard. What to they need? Shelter, water, food?

Jo

Aye, suitable shelter, suitable food, water, control of parasites, vet on
occasion. One the plus side, you don't get them 'fixed' ;-)

They are very easy-going creatures, easy to look after, provide hours of
comic fun, are *brilliant* at garden pest control duties as they zoom in on
snails, slugs.... provide excellent compost material from the non-egg stuff
that comes out of their bums, will also eat your vegetable peelings (and
your prize seedlings). But you do have to be predator-aware. In my case the
two most likely being fox & mink, so the hens' home is secure against foxes
& minks & is checked over daily to ensure it stays that way.

I am so very glad I got the two girlies (Francis is too), and would like
another two as and when (but no more than four). They take under five
minutes a day to keep house & run clean, and the reset of the time is utter
amusement with them. Oh and you *don't* need a cockerel in order to have the
hens lay eggs.

Old July 15th 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

wafflycat wrote:

"Jofirey" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, that bit of information was a real surprise to me, having been a
city girl all my life, so never having had close acquaintance with
domestic fowl! (Is that true of ALL birds, or just chickens?)