PING USA'ans: mail-order meds?

Old September 2nd 08, 07:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default PING USA'ans: mail-order meds?

I just switched from an HMO to a PPO, so I have to find new doctors and
all that. One of the things about the HMO (Kaiser) is that it was very
convenient. I've gotten spoiled getting my medications through the mail,
and would to continue doing that. Does anyone here get their medications
via a mail-order pharmacy? How does it work? At Kaiser, everything's under
one umbrella, so they have all my records. With the PPO, I'll have to find
a way for the doctor to order the meds for me through the mail-order
service, or else mail them the prescription. (?) I'm not sure how to
proceed.

Could someone at least tell me how to do it? And recommend a service
if you know of one that's good? I'd rather get a reference to a place
someone has actually used, or knows someone who's happy with it. I'm
sure I could Google it, but I'd rather go with a tested and reputable
one.

Also, is it better to find something that's based closer to my home,
or is that not important?

Thanks!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old September 2nd 08, 12:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

On Sep 2, 2:25*am, wrote:
[...]

Joyce,
I get nearly all of my meds through mail-order. With Cigna, the mail-
order pharmacy is Tel-Drug. Another group has Walgreens (maybe Blue
Cross Blue Shield?). Anyway, your insurance company will be able to
tell you - just call their customer service number. They will give
you a form, you ask for the prescriptions from your doctor, and mail
everything off and wait. With Tel-Drug, it's all online, so
reordering is really simple. I hope they all go that way soon.

As for some of your medications, some of the generic ones can be
obtained even cheaper through Target, Walmart, or Giant. For some,
it's $4 a month. With Giant, it's $9.99 for 3 months, but their list
is limited. I went with Target initially because they carried more of
my medications, but switched some of them to Giant for the cheaper
price. Now Target is starting to match Giant's price. Yippee.
You can get the list of drugs from target.com and walmart.com, but for
Giant you have to go to the actual store pharmacy and ask.

Good luck. I figured out last year that I spend about $2200 a years
in medications. Phew. Anything cheaper, I'm going for! Feel free to
email me if you have any more questions. I've been doing this for
YEARS.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita
Old September 2nd 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lorraine

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 07:20:59 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

We use Caremark, which recently acquired CVS (a large pharmacy chain
with local stores), so I get extra-discounts there. Caremark is pretty
good, they have a full-service website where you can order refills in a
few seconds.

I use Caremark, also. I don't have a choice really, or I guess I do, but
then I'd be responsible for more of the costs. It was chosen by my
employer. It's the only one I've used, so I have nothing for
comparison. However, I have been satisfied with their service. They
process orders quickly, and I've never had any kind of a problem so I
have had no dealings with their customer service department.

Lorraine
Old September 3rd 08, 01:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

hopitus wrote:

If this is the slightest help to you and your new carrier allows
it.... I bought all my meds for years (before I joined the HMO I'm in now)
from Costco, which has a large inventory of meds but not unlimited
and sells all its meds to its members *at cost*.....way better than
paying Walgreen prices.

Damn, and I just let my Costco membership lapse because I don't shop
there often enough to make it worth the membership fee.

get a vicious antibiotic Rx which doc had insisted I start that very
night, not wait till morning to fill was....Walgreens nearby, open all
night.

That's the kicker. I have a somewhat different schedule from the average
person, so the availability of a 24-hour pharmacy is worth a bit extra.

But after using Kaiser's mail-order service, I don't want to do it any
other way, in any case.

--
Joyce ^..^