Neresse's trip to the vet

Old December 19th 03, 06:13 AM
Dennis Carr

Default Neresse's trip to the vet

So we took her to the vet. The oldest of our girls. Made mention of her
in a previous post, entitled "silly kitty".

For starters, keep in mind she's always been a small and slightly frail
cat.

The doctor confirmed dental trouble in the way of some gum disease to an
extent of something awful, and pointed out something we weren't aware of -
she had lost some of her front teeth. The combination of things just made
it too painful for her to eat, and she wasn't even enjoying the soft food
we've been giving her.

So the doctor sent some blood off to Antech, did an in-office fecal
screen, and sent us home with 15 mL clavamox (1 mL every 12 hours approx),
some vitamins, and some Rx Diet a/d, since she hadn't been eating enough,
along with instructions to give her 30 mLs of water three times a day to
help counter any possible dehydration. He also urged us to get her fixed
as soon as he gave a green light, noting that based on her condition and
history, one more litter could prove fatal.

Personally, this whole thing with cats is kind of a white elephant - but
you know what, the whole thing is all worth it, seeing them effectively
thank you for at least helping them stay healthy, or helping them to get
healthy again.

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Old December 19th 03, 04:18 PM
Dennis Carr

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 08:00:00 -0600, kaeli wrote:

No offense, but why breed her then? I thought Bengals were supposed to
be large.

Not terribly large. Females for one tend to be small - in fact, a large
female is about the size of a regular housecat.

As for breeding, it was simply becaue she's had a previous history of
being a good mom. We ourselves have had two successful litters with her,
and her previous human had a couple with her as well.

Old December 19th 03, 07:44 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:24:36 -0600, kaeli
wrote:

In article ,
enlightened us with...
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 08:00:00 -0600, kaeli wrote:

No offense, but why breed her then? I thought Bengals were supposed to
be large.

Not terribly large. Females for one tend to be small - in fact, a large
female is about the size of a regular housecat.

I must be thinking of those other cats - the ones that are a cross
between domestic cats and bobcats.

As for breeding, it was simply becaue she's had a previous history of
being a good mom. We ourselves have had two successful litters with her,
and her previous human had a couple with her as well.

Are good mama cats hard to come by? I don't know much about breeding or
showing cats. With so many strays in the shelters, I'd feel like a ****
for getting a purebred myself, especially since I'm not passionate about
any one breed. I probably could never adopt a kitten again, either,
knowing how many people prefer kittens and seeing so many nice adults
just sitting in the shelter for months while the kittens get homes
really fast.
You do make your buyers sign a contract, right? So your babies don't get
dumped? I've even seen purebreds in the shelter. So sad.

--

IMHO: four litters (pregnancies) is enough to drain the body of any
mother. Pets should not be breeding machines.
Old December 19th 03, 07:44 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:24:36 -0600, kaeli
wrote:

In article ,
enlightened us with...

Old December 21st 03, 07:26 AM
Dennis Carr

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:24:36 -0600, kaeli wrote:

Are good mama cats hard to come by? I don't know much about breeding or
showing cats.

Actually, it's sort of an instinct thing - both of the girls who have had
kittens have been excellent moms, Neresse included. I guess when the
illness took hold, it just went downhill from there - and we didn't even
see this happening until it was almost too late.

(I got more info on Neresse from the vet, btw. More in another post.)

With so many strays in the shelters, I'd feel like a ****
for getting a purebred myself, especially since I'm not passionate about
any one breed. I probably could never adopt a kitten again, either,
knowing how many people prefer kittens and seeing so many nice adults
just sitting in the shelter for months while the kittens get homes
really fast.

Well, ya gotta admit, kittens are just the cutest little things. I
believe it was Ogden Nash, though who said "the problem with kittens is
that they turn into cats".

You're right, though, everybody wants a kitten, they don't want a full
grown cat for whatever reason. And the shelter down the road in Orange is
what I call a "mostly no kill" shelter as far as cats go (that is, they
won't kill a cat unless it's dreadfully ill or injured, or if they are
having population problems), so you could have cats in there for an
incredibly long time.

You do make your buyers sign a contract, right? So your babies don't get
dumped? I've even seen purebreds in the shelter. So sad.

Oh, hell yes. They sign a pretty standard contract, and those who
I don't want to sell a cat to (I have fortunately had only one) I will
diplomatically explain that they don't want one of our cats. Usually by
way of sticker-shocking them out of it.

(It was one of our neighbors, actually. Granted the ones I wanted to sell
to them were at a steep discount being they were not exactly kittens, but
then again we did have the issue of the fact that there was something
about them I didn't trust, and the other detail that they wanted a cat
because they, well, wanted a pet. For that, they should go to the
aforementioned shelter.)

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

OT My Trip to Texas - long Bridget Cat anecdotes 10 December 8th 04 04:44 PM
Kitty Road Trip OU812? Cat anecdotes 4 July 12th 04 12:05 AM
The Trip Marina Cat anecdotes 10 July 1st 04 12:34 AM