Litter dust problem (long, but it does have a point)

Old February 4th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

Default Litter dust problem (long, but it does have a point)

"Marina"
Joy wrote:
I'm sick. I have some sort of respiratory bug, complete with fever and
even an intestinal symptom.

I feel sick too hon, and can barely type.. I was going to put up a post
about the dusty cat litter thingy...I live in Wa State, where it rains alot,
but we've gotten no flooding so far. Anyway, we've got 4 cats, al indoor
ones, and I bought some Tidy Cat with the red lid..VERY dusty, and laden
with germs
It was almost toxic. We returned the jugs of litter to the store, got a
refund and went on to purchase a store brand, which seems to be working
well.
I'd advise wearing a 'dust' mask over your nose,and mouth when you clean the
box, and spray some Lysol antibacterial spray into the air to get rid of the
dust germs. Then wash your hands througly with antibacterial soap.

PUUUURs for you to get feeling better...and for your situation.

Wish I had an answer to your question, but I can only send purrs for you
to feel better soon, and for your garage not to be flooded. I use a
plant-based litter and it doesn't create as much dust as some clay-based
litters, but I don't know if that's a rule or that just happens to be true
about the brand I use.

With so many brands of litter out there, some of them are very expensive,
it's hard to find the right one.

PUUUURS, prayers, love and HUGS
Kyla
and Clowder

Old February 4th 08, 08:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Caroline S.

snip other dust suggestions

I'd advise wearing a 'dust' mask over your nose,and mouth when you clean the
box, and spray some Lysol antibacterial spray into the air to get rid of the
dust germs. *Then wash your hands througly with antibacterial soap.

Sorry, I have to jump in he I've heard Lysol is potentially toxic
to cats (as are other -ol products, e.g. PineSol) I can't remember
which compound it is specifically.

For dust free litters, if pine isn't an allergen, then I recommend
Feline Pine, it's very low in fine-particle dust. It smells nice too,
until it's ready to be changed. Some cats don't like it much though.
It lasts a long time too.

-Caroline S.
Old February 4th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

"Caroline S."
snip other dust suggestions

I'd advise wearing a 'dust' mask over your nose,and mouth when you clean
the
box, and spray some Lysol antibacterial spray into the air to get rid of
the
dust germs. Then wash your hands througly with antibacterial soap.

Sorry, I have to jump in he I've heard Lysol is potentially toxic
to cats (as are other -ol products, e.g. PineSol) I can't remember
which compound it is specifically.

Ohhhhh geeeeeez, I can't seem to get it right
I make sure the cats are out of the room when I spray the air, and I wear my
dust mask when I do a litter change.

For dust free litters, if pine isn't an allergen, then I recommend
Feline Pine, it's very low in fine-particle dust. It smells nice too,
until it's ready to be changed. Some cats don't like it much though.
It lasts a long time too.

-Caroline S.

I've tried that one but my cats don't like it
Thanx for the info Caroline S.
PUUUUUUUrs
Kyla