A question about feeding canned food...

Old September 14th 04, 05:09 PM
GAUBSTER2

If you have an opportunity get some Wellness and try it. That stuff
smells really good and is one of the best quality foods I've found. I
also like Felidae and Innova, and Precise isn't too bad either. Solid
Gold makes a tuna canned food that is great for treats but I wouldn't
feed it regularly. And they all smell really good!

....all of which are "all life stage" foods which shouldn't be fed to senior
cats (or adult cats, for that matter). Higher phosphorus, sodium, calcium,
magnesium levels, you know!
Old September 14th 04, 05:12 PM
GAUBSTER2

Yet, high levels of salt will contribute to kidney disease, heart disease,
and
FLUTD. Hopefully that would be counteracted by the increased water intake,

but
do you want to take that chance?

No, of course not.
How do I know how much salt is in the food?

You'd have to call the manufacturer and ask them what the sodium levels are on
a DRY MATTER BASIS. Do that with several foods and compare them. If the
manufacturer doesn't know the levels, then you know to avoid that food
altogether. There are a lot of cat food companies that are more concerned with
selling a lot of cat food, than are concerned with feline nutrition.

Old September 14th 04, 06:07 PM

Steve wrote:
snip typcal Hills rhetoric and data that does nothing to prove
phosphorus *causes* renal failure

Not ONE WORD you posted shows that phosphorus "causes" renal failure n
healthy cats and, since I said that it would be contraindicated in cats
with kidney issues, how could you disagree? And what exactly is
excessive? Because Hills says it is it must be so? Where are the studies
that prove what level is "excessive" in healthy cats? And while you're
at it, explain how the perfect food for the cat (a mouse) is higher in
phosphorus than commercial cat foods yet is the optimal diet. Show some
evidence that higher phosphorus *causes* renal failure in healthy cats
or STFU.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old September 14th 04, 06:14 PM

Oh, and Kaeli,
It's best to just ignore Steve Crane and Gaubster. They both lie and
post deceitful innuendo to promote their Hills agenda, and Gobby scans
the newsgroup wth bated breath looking for any post that resembles a
food discussion so he can jump in, post lies, spout rhetoric, attack,
namecall and make accusations while expecting everyone else to do his
research for him. My guess is you already know this, as do most members
of this group, but it is always worthwhile to mention it for new readers
that haven't figured it out yet.

Old September 14th 04, 08:14 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
Kaeli wrote:

I think we're going to go with a variety
of wet food in the morning and afternoon
and leave them some dry overnight.

If you stop leaving dry food out at night your cats will start eating
all the canned you give them because they won't have been snacking all
night and will have a good appetitie. It does take a little time while
you're transitioning but they figure it out.

Tried that. You probably didn't read the other post (it was a few days ago I
think) where I was lamenting that I had to leave it for them because I was
worried they would get fatty liver.
They didn't eat for a whole 36 hours. I got worried. Jeffrey is fat enough
that I worried about FLS with him not eating. Isis is fine. Rowan is too thin
already (she's my sickly baby who has a recurring URI).

I don't leave enough dry for them to get full; just enough so they do
actually eat something for the day if they haven't. They scream at me in the
morning for more food and chow if I give them something they like, so I
figure they're hungry.

Giving them some cooked chicken hearts and gizzards will accomplish this
much better and won't leave a starchy goo stuck to their teeth. :-)

Rowan will eat cooked beef (she loves my tacos). The other two won't eat any
meat that I've tried to give them, cooked or raw.
We tried beef heart, chicken heart, chicken gizzards, cooked ground beef, and
cooked chicken muscle meat. They won't eat canned fish of any kind, including
tuna.
I have odd cats.

What is your definition of good stuff?

Anything they'll eat that costs more than $1 a pound dry and more then .50 a
can wet.
*smile*

I think you mentioned SD,

They hate SD, IAMS, and Innova.

Here's what we've tried...

Paws up for dry:
Chicken Soup Cat Lovers
Royal Canin
Pro Plan
Nutro Max Cat
Nutro Natural Choice
Anything that qualifies as Kitty Micky Ds (cat chow, 9-lives, etc)

Paws up for wet:
Most Fancy Feast flavors (no sliced)
Some Friskies flavors (mostly the shredded)
Some Pro Plan flavors (only kinds with no chunks)
Meow Mix packets (most flavors, not the fish)

Paws down for wet:
9-lives
Wiskas
Wellness