Rutherford, at it again!

Old September 18th 04, 03:14 AM
Sara

bonbon wrote in message . ..
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:56:44 -0400, "jimmy the LD"
wrote:

Hi All:
Another update on Rutherford the Brave, the floor-****ing and wall-spraying
cat...

(snip)
Frustrated and sick of smelling the pee,
Jimmy

Jimmy, I just joined, so forgive me if I'm posting with info you've
already received.

Perhaps he wants a larger litter box.

If it's an open box, try one of those enclosed types.

Try a different type of litter.

If it's an open box, and up against a wall, try moving it 8-12 inches
away from the wall. (that solved the prob. with my floor ****er)

Is he an only cat? If so, get him a companion from the shelter. Once
they've gotten acquainted, maybe the new guy will show him the
correct place to ****.

Again, sorry if I'm just repeating what you've already heard - I'm
supposed to be getting ready for work, and didn't have time to read
all of the previous posts. I know first hand how frustrating and
maddening it is when you have a floor ****er, because you love the
little fart.

Good luck.

-bonbon

My friend had a similiar problem...she ended up having to put her cat
outside on a leash for about twenty minutes once every couple of
hours. See if it works. Oh the reason she had to do that was because
he was "too clean" of a cat to put his paws in the "dirty" litter. It
didn't matter how often she changed the litter.
HTH
Sara
Old September 22nd 04, 10:09 PM
Alun

"Mary" wrote in
m:

"AC" wrote in message
[...]

The main point here, is that in bringing what is obviously a
free-ranging, semi-wild cat indoors, you are pushing it uphill
thinking that it will respond in the desired human way. Just put
yourself in the converse situation - how hard would it be for you if
someone said "stop using the toilet, I want you to pee in the garden,
especially when other animals are around - because that signifies that
you are the boss here"???

I don't buy this. I have seen too many ferals and primarily outdoor
cats take to the litter box.

It's going to take time & persistance. The absolute ideal situation
considering no medical problems I would suggest, is building a run
outside (if poss) to ease the transition. This way, it will begin to
understand that it doesn't get punished for this behaviour outside,
but does inside. It's all about understanding and catering to its
natural instincts, and giving the cat hints on what's acceptable,
where. And you definitely need to keep up on the negative
reinforcement (water pistol & loud noise, preferably human). The cat
will respond slowly, but don't expect miracles overnight.

Hey Jimmy, is it safe for Rutherford to go outside?

We had a declawed cat who used to use our son's carpet instead of the
litter box. We didn't have him declawed, his previous owner was made to get
rid of him by her homeowner's association (usual petty dictators).

I think that there is a definite possibility that being declawed means he
doesn't like stepping on cat litter. Unfortunately we never figured that
out at the time, but it makes sense. Do try the special cat litter that
someone suggested.

We did let this cat out, even though he was declawed, but he still came in
and used the carpet, which I think shows the importance of breaking bad
habits ASAP.

Old September 22nd 04, 11:12 PM
Mary

"Alun" wrote

Hey Jimmy, is it safe for Rutherford to go outside?

We had a declawed cat who used to use our son's carpet instead of the

litter box. We didn't have him declawed, his previous owner was made to get
rid of him by her homeowner's association (usual petty dictators).

I think that there is a definite possibility that being declawed means he

doesn't like stepping on cat litter. Unfortunately we never figured that
out at the time, but it makes sense. Do try the special cat litter that
someone suggested.

I agree--I had a cat that was declawed--I actually had it done before I
realized what it really was, no excuse, I know--and she didn't like to
handle the litter either, so she would not cover her poo. I eventually
trained her to by taking her paws and gently covering her mess. But I do
think her mutilated paws had something to do with why she wouldn't cover it
up.