To John Biltz re Vegas

Old October 30th 03, 01:21 PM
JBHajos

Default To John Biltz re Vegas

I received an e-mail from my niece in Vegas. Apparently some fall-out
from the California fires is reaching the city. She lives in north
Vegas and can usually see the Strip from her home but it's so smokey
it's invisible to her. She has a hard time breathing and her eyes are
irritated and watering; says there's so much smoke the sun is just a
small orange dot in the sky. I seriously doubt the fires themselves
will get as far as you are but wonder how you're faring and if you and
the kitties are affected. From your description of the play among the
puppy and cats, it sounds minimal - - hope so.

Jeanne
Old October 30th 03, 06:15 PM
John Biltz

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 5:21:35 -0800, JBHajos wrote
(in message ):

I received an e-mail from my niece in Vegas. Apparently some fall-out
from the California fires is reaching the city. She lives in north
Vegas and can usually see the Strip from her home but it's so smokey
it's invisible to her. She has a hard time breathing and her eyes are
irritated and watering; says there's so much smoke the sun is just a
small orange dot in the sky. I seriously doubt the fires themselves
will get as far as you are but wonder how you're faring and if you and
the kitties are affected. From your description of the play among the
puppy and cats, it sounds minimal - - hope so.

Jeanne

Well the puppy stuff has been going on for weeks, none happened
yesterday. A weather front moved in yesterday and produced some really
strong winds about 45 mph gusts and the high is going to go from 88 on
Tuesday to 73 today and about 64 for the next week. We should be in the
mid 70s. This is a web cam picture of the strip. Normally from there
the strip would be clear as a bell and you could see the mountains 15
miles in the background.
http://www.klastv.com/Global/link.as...5&nav=168cFTC6 As pure
coincidence the smoke from the fire got here a few hours earlier than the
front. The smoke is not a surprise we often get it from fires in
Southern California and with fires like now it would have a hard time
missing us. You can smell smoke and the sky has just disapeared along
with the mountains into the haze. When the wind is blowing like now it
kicks up all the allergy producing stuff like dust and pollen. Things
like that normally get settled by rains but this is Vegas and rain is a
rarity it lays around waiting for a good wind. So we have had two events
hit at the same time that each alone would produce really bad air
conditions. We have two severe weather warnings out right now: one for
the wind and another for the air. Its pretty bad out there.

Old October 30th 03, 07:04 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

JBHajos wrote:

I received an e-mail from my niece in Vegas. Apparently some fall-out
from the California fires is reaching the city. She lives in north
Vegas and can usually see the Strip from her home but it's so smokey
it's invisible to her. She has a hard time breathing and her eyes are
irritated and watering; says there's so much smoke the sun is just a
small orange dot in the sky. I seriously doubt the fires themselves
will get as far as you are but wonder how you're faring and if you and
the kitties are affected. From your description of the play among the
puppy and cats, it sounds minimal - - hope so.

I think there's a fair stretch of more or less tinder-free desert
between L.A. and Las Vegas - not to worry. Where's Denver in relation
to Vegas? The Colorado fires might be contributing smoke, too.
Old October 30th 03, 08:40 PM
John Biltz

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 11:04:36 -0800, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote
(in message ):

I think there's a fair stretch of more or less tinder-free desert
between L.A. and Las Vegas - not to worry. Where's Denver in relation
to Vegas? The Colorado fires might be contributing smoke, too.

The sky is back! Man that happened fast, in like 30 minutes everything
changed. Winds between here and there must have shifted. Denver is way
northeast of here around 800 miles distance. The winds just don't blow
this way at all. Its about 250 miles/400km from here to the fires with a
lot of desert out there.

Old October 30th 03, 09:55 PM
TJ and The Dust

It's windy as hell today and you can't see any of the four mountain ranges that
surround Tucson. Not even the one less than a mile from my house! The sky
appears overcast with a tinge of dust (like smog). This morning I could smell
the faint smell of smoke! A not so distant reminder of the fire's we had over
the summer. Purrs to all those in SoCal!!!

TJ and that Flabby One

Old October 31st 03, 04:56 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:55:34 -0700, "TJ and The Dust"
wrote:

It's windy as hell today and you can't see any of the four mountain ranges that
surround Tucson. Not even the one less than a mile from my house! The sky
appears overcast with a tinge of dust (like smog). This morning I could smell
the faint smell of smoke! A not so distant reminder of the fire's we had over
the summer. Purrs to all those in SoCal!!!

Guess that's the smoke getting blown along by the jet stream.

BTW, we've got our own fire burning in in SW OK now. Nothing like the
big ones out to our west, but did threaten some homes for awhile last
night. According to the late news they were able to set a backfire at
a road and keep it way from the houses. We're about 5 inches behind
our normal rainfall for the year, and with our typical high Ok winds
in extreme fire danger.

Also, the evening news said the local Comanche tribe has called up
their fire fighters and is sending them out to help relieve the
exhausted Cailfornia firefighters.
--
Steve Touchstone,
remove Junk for email
Old October 31st 03, 05:37 AM
Tanada

Steve Touchstone wrote:

Also, the evening news said the local Comanche tribe has called up
their fire fighters and is sending them out to help relieve the
exhausted Cailfornia firefighters.
--

Purrs and water thoughts for your fires, Steve, and a big YAY!! for the
Comanche fire fighters. There are some tough guys in that group.

Pam, Rob, and the NC nine
Old October 31st 03, 06:42 AM
Yoj

wrote:

[...]

I'm sorry to hear about your fire and fire danger. The news about the
firefighters is good for us. I hope it doesn't leave you unprotected.
I understand that was one of the problems here in California.
Firefighters were sent to battle one of the early fires, leaving
virtually no protection where another broke out.

Joy

Old October 31st 03, 06:43 AM
Yoj

"Tanada" wrote in message
Steve Touchstone wrote:

Also, the evening news said the local Comanche tribe has called up
their fire fighters and is sending them out to help relieve the
exhausted Cailfornia firefighters.
--

Purrs and water thoughts for your fires, Steve, and a big YAY!! for

the
Comanche fire fighters. There are some tough guys in that group.
Charlotte NC's Air Nationl Guard has sent two C-130 tanker planes to
help drop water on the CA fires, but they need so much more.

Continuing
Purrs and water thoughts for California as well.

Pam, Rob, and the NC nine

Thanks we, and anybody who is having fires, need all of both we can get.
We are getting some moisture now, but the resulting clouds and fog are
hampering the air support for the firefighters.

Joy (in Southern California)

Old October 31st 03, 08:18 AM
John Biltz

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:42:24 -0800, Yoj wrote
(in message
):

wrote:

[...]

Nevada has sent 200 fire fighters. Out west that is a normal thing. The
fire fighters get sent back and forth on a regular basis.