Crying kitty/introducing new kitten to cat

Old July 15th 03, 08:38 PM
Fred

Default Crying kitty/introducing new kitten to cat

We adopted a new kitten a couple days ago. She is approx. 9 weeks
old. We also have a 1-1/2 year old female cat who we have had since
she was a kitten.

Two issues:

1. The kitten won't stop crying. We have her staying in one of our
extra bedrooms. Her litter box, food, and toys are all there for her
to use. She is using the litter box and eating well. She is
extremely affectionate when we are with her but constantly cries when
we are not in the room. She is 1/2 Siamease, which may help explain
her vocaliness. I have never heard a cat as loud as her. Is there
anything we can do to help her adjust and stop crying so much?

2. What is the proper/best way to help our new cat adjust to the new
kitten? When we first brought the new kitten home, our cat would
growl and hiss every time she heard or smelled the new kitten on our
clothes. She is not an aggressive cat and has never hissed before.
She is showing some signs of improving but still hisses at first sign
of the new kitten. We have the kitten in a separate room separated by
a couple baby gates. Our cat can see through the gates but won't go
near the room. The main reason we got the kitten was to give our cat
some company. We work long hours and were hoping she'd be happy with
a little companionship.

Thanks for all of your advice.

Fred

Old July 15th 03, 09:06 PM
SongSylvan

1. The kitten won't stop crying. We have her staying in one of our
extra bedrooms. Her litter box, food, and toys are all there for her
to use. She is using the litter box and eating well. She is
extremely affectionate when we are with her but constantly cries when
we are not in the room. She is 1/2 Siamease, which may help explain
her vocaliness. I have never heard a cat as loud as her. Is there
anything we can do to help her adjust and stop crying so much?

Quick question here--did the kitten have siblings that she played with prior to
your adopting her?

2. What is the proper/best way to help our new cat adjust to the new
kitten? When we first brought the new kitten home, our cat would
growl and hiss every time she heard or smelled the new kitten on our
clothes. She is not an aggressive cat and has never hissed before.
She is showing some signs of improving but still hisses at first sign
of the new kitten. We have the kitten in a separate room separated by
a couple baby gates. Our cat can see through the gates but won't go
near the room. The main reason we got the kitten was to give our cat
some company. We work long hours and were hoping she'd be happy with
a little companionship.

Thanks for all of your advice.

I had a similiar case with Chase and Paintball. Paintball kept crying if she
was locked away, and Chase kept hissing. So within a day, I let them loose on
each other. Paintball was much happier--she'd had four sisters and her mama,
and just simply didn't like being locked away from another cat, even if she
didn't know him. Once she was free to roam around the house, Chase stopped
hissing so much and took to 'examining' her. If she got too friendly too fast,
he would hiss and walk away, but he would come back to look her over some more.

(I got Paintball for Chase for the same reason you got your kitten, so I
understand the companionship issue.)

They're now friendly to each other. I personally have the opinion that if the
older cat isn't aggressive, they're not likely to mistreat a kitten, and it's
better off to throw them in together immediately.

Magdalene
IWG #1024/Drill Sgt. of Local 35/Soiled Doves of Colorado
IFoRP # 57/First Mate of "The Flying Scotsman"
KC MasterPiece of the KCRF BBQ Wenches
One of Moonie's Naughty Kittens
Red Gemini Ghetto Smurf
To email me, remove my bodice

Old July 16th 03, 04:14 AM
Andr0meda

Hmmm....interesting.
This might explain my situation as in my post about O'Malley-Hercules and
Xena.
Hercules (new cat) is locked in the bathroom, and keeps crying for attention
and to be let out - I have no doubts that he is non-aggressive. He also
comes from a larger cat group.
Xena (the resident cat - has always been the only cat) keeps hissing and
growling at me when she smells his scent, but ....runs and hides when he
gets too vocal in the bathroom.
O'Mal-Hercules is 5 yrs old; Xena is 4. Neither is a kitten, but the boy is
very small.
The vet reckons, I should let him out.
....are Chase and Paintball both grown cats?
Andr0

Old July 16th 03, 08:11 AM
SongSylvan

...are Chase and Paintball both grown cats?

Chase was five years old and Paintball was ten weeks when she joined our home.
He's now six years and she'll be a year old next month.

Old July 16th 03, 08:11 AM
SongSylvan

...are Chase and Paintball both grown cats?

Chase was five years old and Paintball was ten weeks when she joined our home.
He's now six years and she'll be a year old next month.

Magdalene
IWG #1024/Drill Sgt. of Local 35/Soiled Doves of Colorado
IFoRP # 57/First Mate of "The Flying Scotsman"
KC MasterPiece of the KCRF BBQ Wenches
One of Moonie's Naughty Kittens
Red Gemini Ghetto Smurf
To email me, remove my bodice

Boone and the ghostly kitten cries Margaret Fine Cat anecdotes 3 November 1st 04 10:36 PM
Guest Cat & Kitten LOL Cat anecdotes 30 August 10th 04 02:08 PM
Gem the Gray Kitten (long) Annie Benson-Lennaman Cat anecdotes 21 August 25th 03 01:02 AM