Yom Kippur

Old October 12th 05, 01:37 AM
Yowie

Default Yom Kippur

According to my Calendar, the 12th of October is Yom Kippur, the Day of
Atonement in Judaism.

And whilst I am not Jewish myself, I still think its a good idea to
apologise to my friends and family for any hurt or slight I may have
caused through my actions or my inactions.

So, my friends, I apologise unreservedly for not replying to all of
your posts, or not posting that I've been purring for you, even though
I have been. I am sorry for not being able to even read all your posts,
knowing at the same time I am missingout on something I truly treasure.
I apologise for ruffling feathers, or posting something you found
distatsteful, for upsetting or hurting anyone through something I've
done, or indeed, something I failed to do. I beg your forgiveness.

Yowie
(Who learnt what Yom Kippur was about from Dave Y, may he rest in
peace)

Old October 12th 05, 02:09 AM
Shiral

I can't remember any particular instance, but you are forgiven, for my
part. =o)

Melissa

Old October 12th 05, 03:32 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Yowie wrote:

According to my Calendar, the 12th of October is Yom Kippur, the Day of
Atonement in Judaism.

Actually, you're a day early! (It begins at sundown on the
twelfth, and the really religious will be fasting and
attending services until sundown on the thirteenth.) I'm
not Jewish, either, but I work for a Jewish firm who long
ago solved the issue of complaints from their non-Jewish
staff about the "extra" holidays claimed by Jewish
staff-members. In our office, EVERYONE gets Jewish and
Christian holidays, both!

Old October 12th 05, 04:47 AM
Kreisleriana

On 11 Oct 2005 17:37:14 -0700, "Yowie"
yodeled:

According to my Calendar, the 12th of October is Yom Kippur, the Day of
Atonement in Judaism.

And whilst I am not Jewish myself, I still think its a good idea to
apologise to my friends and family for any hurt or slight I may have
caused through my actions or my inactions.

So, my friends, I apologise unreservedly for not replying to all of
your posts, or not posting that I've been purring for you, even though
I have been. I am sorry for not being able to even read all your posts,
knowing at the same time I am missingout on something I truly treasure.
I apologise for ruffling feathers, or posting something you found
distatsteful, for upsetting or hurting anyone through something I've
done, or indeed, something I failed to do. I beg your forgiveness.

And to our Jewish friends, L'shana tova, and have an easy fast.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old October 12th 05, 12:55 PM

Yowie wrote:
[...]

Wow, thanks for the reminder. I'm a non-practising Jew and always
forget the hols, I shall call my parents later and wish them well over
the fast (not that they can fast anymore, as they're 81 and 83!)

Marcia

Old October 12th 05, 01:00 PM

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
Yowie wrote:

According to my Calendar, the 12th of October is Yom Kippur, the Day of
Atonement in Judaism.

Actually, you're a day early! (It begins at sundown on the
twelfth, and the really religious will be fasting and
attending services until sundown on the thirteenth.) I'm
not Jewish, either, but I work for a Jewish firm who long
ago solved the issue of complaints from their non-Jewish
staff about the "extra" holidays claimed by Jewish
staff-members. In our office, EVERYONE gets Jewish and
Christian holidays, both!

Lucky things, if I wanted to take the Jewish holidays, it would come
off my annual leave. My argument is that I'm quite happy to work Xmas
Day, Easter etc., but as the office is shut it's not an option.

Old October 12th 05, 01:05 PM
Victor Martinez

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
staff-members. In our office, EVERYONE gets Jewish and Christian
holidays, both!

That's pretty cool! We're on the FLEX system, so we get a set of holiday
days off per year for us to use when we want, plust 2 personal days to
be used (in theory) for religious/personal holidays.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old October 12th 05, 01:25 PM
Yowie

wrote in message
ups.com...

Yowie wrote:
[...]

Thats a bummer that you forget the holidays, even if you are non practicing.
Then again, I guess they don't have some sort of market value to cash in on,
so the stores don't go crazy reminding you just how many shopping days you
have left about 4 months before the big day.

I sometimes wonder just how many people would actually observe Christmas and
Easter if they were religious holidays only and didn't also come with Santa
and the Easter Bunny. Not many, I would think.

Yoiwe

Old October 12th 05, 02:19 PM

Yowie wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Yowie wrote:
[...]

It's not really a bummer to me, as I don't have anything do to with
religion. I try to remember just so's I can give my parents a call,
they accept my lack of belief and don't mind that I don't go up there
so long as they can speak to me, they don't really bother that much now
either, apart from with the food, naturally. I go see them quite a bit
anyway so they'd rather I came up when I want to rather than use up
holidays just to sit in their place (they know I won't go to synagogue
unless I have absolutely no choice in the matter!) When I was a kid I
loved it, Channukah etc., but now with the family all over the world
it's not the same as the big get togethers we used to have.

For Christmas my partner and I usually help out at a homeless shelter
(and then guilt trip that we only do it at Xmas) but it's nice,
relieves the boredom to be honest and is better than sitting at home
pigging out and watching crap TV. It's amazing how many Jewish people
do all the Xmas presents and trees etc., but I think I'd be
hypocritical if I did that, if I don't celebrate my born religion I
would feel weird celebrating another one! When I have been in
relationships with guys that have gone to their parents for Xmas I
found it really strange. They barely spoke to each other all year, and
then spent money on presents for people they obviously didn't care that
much about, then there was the horrid meal and all the forced jollity
(is that a word?) - wearing paper hats, pulling crackers etc., to be
honest I felt really uncomfortable with it all, as it was all so alien
to me, bah humbug..

Old October 12th 05, 04:38 PM
dopekitty

Yowie wrote:
[...]

Good on ya Yowie. How come christian religions don't have a day like
this? Might cause a bit more humility.

Kristy