does your cat twitch while sleeping?

Old April 22nd 05, 01:56 PM
John Doe

Default does your cat twitch while sleeping?

Right now, Kiki is lying on my left arm and chest, sleeping and
obviously dreaming (I compute while lying down). Sometimes when she
falls asleep, she starts to twitch like a dog does but not so
obviously. I'm sure it is common, but just in case, are others are
familiar with it?
Old April 22nd 05, 02:39 PM
Karen

I haven't seen my girls do it much but Grant used to as well as some cats
growing up. What I think is funny is when their whiskers twitch and their
lips do a little too. Must be dreaming about being quite fierce.

Old April 22nd 05, 05:13 PM
Rhonda

I've noticed our adults cats twitching sometimes, but not as much as
kittens.

Last year, we had a litter of kittens (from a stray), and they were
master-twitchers. They would nurse, then fall asleep, and in 30 seconds
be twitched and jerking like crazy. It was almost instantaneous. They
were just one big mound of moving kitten parts.

Rhonda

Old April 22nd 05, 05:19 PM
Jeneen Sommers

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, John Doe wrote:

Right now, Kiki is lying on my left arm and chest, sleeping and
obviously dreaming (I compute while lying down). Sometimes when she
falls asleep, she starts to twitch like a dog does but not so
obviously. I'm sure it is common, but just in case, are others are
familiar with it?

Both of my kitties (8 years old) twitch in their sleep. They also
snore, and talk in their sleep. Combine all that with taking up
most of the bed, and it's hard for _me_ to get any sleep!

Jeneen
Old April 22nd 05, 05:23 PM
Philip

John Doe wrote:
Right now, Kiki is lying on my left arm and chest, sleeping and
obviously dreaming (I compute while lying down). Sometimes when she
falls asleep, she starts to twitch like a dog does but not so
obviously. I'm sure it is common, but just in case, are others are
familiar with it?

Our late tabby started twitching in his sleep from about age 8. Always
limited to spasms in his legs. As the years passed he would also sleep with
his eyes half open and twitch from time to time!

Then one morning early, there was a cat fight outside. Rusty jumped up on
the bedroom window to watch. LOTS of swearing outside (woke us up). Well,
after the fight broke up, all of us went back to sleep. About a half hour
later, I was awakened again by low level growling and yowling. But this
time it was at the foot of our bed! Rusty was asleep, twitching, and
mimicking the cats he'd heard earlier! Craziest thing! This went on for a
couple of minutes and then subsided.

Old April 22nd 05, 09:35 PM
Ashley

"John Doe" wrote in message
Right now, Kiki is lying on my left arm and chest, sleeping and
obviously dreaming (I compute while lying down). Sometimes when she
falls asleep, she starts to twitch like a dog does but not so
obviously. I'm sure it is common, but just in case, are others are
familiar with it?

Yup, absolutely. Nose, eyelids, front paws are all usually involved. And
every now and then there's a bit of sound as well.

Old April 23rd 05, 12:28 AM
Cheryl

On Fri 22 Apr 2005 08:56:46a, John Doe wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

Right now, Kiki is lying on my left arm and chest, sleeping and
obviously dreaming (I compute while lying down). Sometimes when
she falls asleep, she starts to twitch like a dog does but not
so obviously. I'm sure it is common, but just in case, are
others are familiar with it?

Yup! All of my cats past and present twitch something in their sleep.
Not all the time, but probably during REM sleep (do they have REM
sleep?). I almost want to wake them up but figure its normal, and
they'd just be mad at me for interrupting a dream.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old April 23rd 05, 06:00 AM
Slimpickins

"John Doe" wrote in message
Right now, Kiki is lying on my left arm and chest, sleeping and
obviously dreaming (I compute while lying down). Sometimes when she
falls asleep, she starts to twitch like a dog does but not so
obviously. I'm sure it is common, but just in case, are others are
familiar with it?

**Yes, my dear Blue used to twitch a lot when he slept. He seemed to sleep
soo deeply, falling into a very deep sleep. And always when he awoke, often
quite suddenly, he would immediately head straight to his food bowl and eat.
He was so sweet and enduring. May God rest his sweet soul.

Old April 23rd 05, 09:47 PM

I also find the nap twitch funny... My cats sleep in a SnooziCat
Sleepsack. It is great sleeping bag for cats. When they are sleeping
in the sack sometimes the sleepsack twitches...It is quite
amusing...especially when it grabs the attention / curiousity of our
other cat. It is very entertaining. The twitching I believe is REM
sleep and is normal.

Old April 23rd 05, 10:04 PM
.oO rach Oo.

Yes. Both our girls sleep. Delilah will almost look like she is running and
Stella will do this plus their whiskers twitch and there is the odd meow in
their sleep or chirp. We always wonder what they're dreaming. It seems like
most dreams consist of chasing prey.

--
..oO rach Oo.