[OT] coca-cola and rust

Old March 25th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] coca-cola and rust

On 2006-03-25, Pat penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote

I haven't drunk a Coke (nor any other soft drink, for that matter)
since childhood, maybe age 7-8, when I witnessed my father using
it to dissolve corrosion around a battery terminal.

Pat -- my father did the same thing with a mixture of baking soda
and water.

I don't think baking soda is that bad for you (and if it is, we'll
have to stop eating anything baked!).

Would baking soda dissolve the calcium in a water heater?

I don't know -- but that's not the example you cited originally!

I very rarely drink soda, primarily 7 UP or similar when I have an
upset stomach. I don't think soda is particularly good for you. I'm
just pointing out that the example of Coke dissolving the battery
corrosion isn't necessarily showing that Coke is bad.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 25th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 10:18:27 -0600, "Pat"
wrote:

Would baking soda dissolve the calcium in a water heater?

Nope. You could fill the water heater with vinegar, I suppose.

Old March 25th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

William Hamblen wrote:

Real problems are tooth decay and getting fat, or
children substituting soft drinks for milk.

We weren't ALLOWED to! (Of course, growing up during the
Depression had its advantages - we didn't have much money
for such "extras" as soft drinks, whereas milk was
considered a necessary food.)

Old March 25th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote

I haven't drunk a Coke (nor any other soft drink, for that matter)
since childhood, maybe age 7-8, when I witnessed my father using it
to dissolve corrosion around a battery terminal.

Pat -- my father did the same thing with a mixture of baking soda and
water.

I don't think baking soda is that bad for you (and if it is, we'll
have to stop eating anything baked!).

Would baking soda dissolve the calcium in a water heater?

I suspect the "calcium" in a water heater is a much more
complex chemical compound!

Old March 25th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:
For calcium deposits, do you use it straight, or can it be diluted some? How
long to soak, and is any scrubbing required? I'd like to clear the bottom of

My dad soaks shower heads in coke overnight, IIRC.

an empty water heater. The Coke can go in through a funnel at the top then
I'll turn the thing on its side to drain it.

I'd let it soak overnight.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old March 26th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yowie wrote:

However, it might not be rust, it might be tannin, from the tea.

Hmm, I never thought of that. But it makes sense. The drippings on the
saucer turn black, and isn't rust, well, rust-colored?

then soak the thing
overnight in a water with some baking soda in it.

I think I might try this first, actually. Nothing to lose.

Failing that, it might be just easier and cheaper overall to get a new tea
strainer.

Well, that's not a bad point either. A set of 3 cost 99 cents!

Joyce
Old March 26th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

dnr wrote:

This may seem unsympathic, Joyce....but AFAIC Coke is for drinking!

Blecch, not to me! I've always hated sodas (all flavors, except maybe
ginger ale, but I don't even like that very much any more).

My tea strainer is silver and never gets nasty or rusts. Stainless
is also good... If I were you, I'd abandon ship w/that strainer you
describe.

Yes, well, I will get rid of it if I can't clean it. I'm on a very
limited budget, so I go to the dollar store to buy things like tea
strainers. At this point I think I've spent more in the cola than on
a new strainer, though!

Joyce
Old March 26th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:

But a ceramic teapot. Preheat it with boiling water before you make tea.
Pour out the hot water, then add loose tea, then add simmering hot water and
let it steep for a while. When you pour the tea, slowly, into cups, the
leaves (or flowers, twigs, roots, whatever) will stay in the ceramic pot. No
need for a strainer.

I have a ceramic teapot.

Whenever I pour tea, some leaves always come out into the strainer.
Are you saying that pre-heating the pot before making tea will keep
the leaves in the pot when you pour the tea?

Joyce
Old March 26th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Adrian A wrote:

I remember one of my sister's school friends put a tooth in a glass
of coke, it completely disolved in about a week.

Ewwww!! They should have filmed it with a time-lapse camera - that
would be good propaganda for a dentist!

Joyce
Old March 26th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

I'm
just pointing out that the example of Coke dissolving the battery
corrosion isn't necessarily showing that Coke is bad.

I thought you were saying the opposite, since you stopped drinking the
stuff as a child when you witnessed what it did to the battery corrosion.

Joyce