Scraping floor next to water bowl.

Old December 15th 03, 06:13 AM

Default Scraping floor next to water bowl.

One of our two 9-month old kitties will quite often scrape the floor next
to the water bowl. This is almost a digging action, scraping away from the
bowl. My best guess is that this is some kind of instinctual action, like
digging for buried water, but I haven't heard of this kind of behavior in
all of the cat books that I have read. Has anyone else seen this kind of
thing?

--
fred

Old December 15th 03, 06:56 AM
James Collins

One of my cats often does the same thing, as if he is covering his food up.
The floor is vinyl, but he pretends there is dirt there.
I've noticed that it is often when he isn't hungry, but wants to come back
later.

"Karen" wrote in message
.. .
in article , at
wrote on 12/14/03 11:13 PM:

One of our two 9-month old kitties will quite often scrape the floor

next
to the water bowl. This is almost a digging action, scraping away from

the
bowl. My best guess is that this is some kind of instinctual action,

like
digging for buried water, but I haven't heard of this kind of behavior

in
all of the cat books that I have read. Has anyone else seen this kind of
thing?

--
fred

Some do it, some don't. No one *really* knows why.

Karen

Old December 15th 03, 09:36 PM
Barb

I haven't seen this behavior for a while but it always went along with the
cats telling me they didn't like their food. They wouldn't eat and made the
burying motion. Then I would have to give them something else to eat. Now
they just sit there if they don't like something and they get the message
across that way.

--
Barb
I can only please one person a day.

Old December 17th 03, 05:41 AM
rose ricciuto

Large cats in the wild bury their food to protect it from other
predators - just like they bury their spoor to avoid other predators.