Preventing blockages in neutered males

Old June 15th 10, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default Preventing blockages in neutered males

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 10:05:03 -0500, "Kelly Greene"
wrote:

What are you people feeding your neutered male cats to avoid blockages? I
know not to feed them dry food... so what canned products are recommended?
Which are you using and why? How much ash is safe? Are other minerals
involved or suspected to your knowledge? If your cat ever blocked... what
were you feeding him at the time? Any info to keep Rusty's pipes working
will be appreciated.

There are several types of plugs that develop so what works for one
cat might not work for another. Also, I've read that age is a factor,
apparently after age 7 or so the incidence drops.

Espy was blocked just about this time last year. I set up a monitoring
camera over the litter robot and reviewed the tapes daily to make sure
that he went to pee. He mostly just uses that litterbox so it mostly
works out, though there is a non-mechanical litterbox as well.

I just recently stopped doing the taping though. He's now about eight
and hopefully won't have the problem any more. He does mostly eat wet
food, and I've had him (and the three others) eating the Pro Plan
urinary food, but my pet store says that they are no longer making
that in 5.5 oz cans. There is still some in the 3 oz cans but I don't
know if the stuff does any good at all. He (and the rest) also get a
little dry food (Royal Canin number something).