air filter recommendation

Old September 17th 04, 09:47 PM

Default air filter recommendation

Can anyone recommend a good air cleaner/filter for removing litter box
smell?

Background: I have two cats and one of them refuses to cover her
"deposits" in the box. I clean the box twice a day and one of the
cats refuses to use a littermaid automatic box. Hence, I have litter
box smell between cleanings.

I've been told that the Ionic Breeze air cleaner is good for this type
of application. anyone have any experience with this? Any other
recommendations?

Thanks!
Old September 20th 04, 04:20 AM
Judy

wrote in message
om...
Can anyone recommend a good air cleaner/filter for removing litter box
smell?

I don't know what you're feeding your cat, but feeding a high quality food
helps with the smell.

Background: I have two cats and one of them refuses to cover her
"deposits" in the box.

Why are you complaining? Uncovered poop is easily flushed into the toilet!

I clean the box twice a day and one of the
cats refuses to use a littermaid automatic box.

Can't say as I blame this cat.

Hence, I have litter
box smell between cleanings.

Hence, get off your butt!

I've been told that the Ionic Breeze air cleaner is good for this type
of application. anyone have any experience with this? Any other
recommendations?

Thanks!

I am curious to know how you would deal with dirty diaper odour when it
comes to a human.

Old September 21st 04, 01:36 AM
Tiger Girl

Can anyone recommend a good air cleaner/filter for removing litter box
smell?

I don't know what you're feeding your cat, but feeding a high quality food
helps with the smell.

Huh. I feed my cat extremely premium food (Eagle Pack). It gives his
poop an absolutely toxic odor. Especially the salmon. Ugh.

Hence, I have litter
box smell between cleanings.

Hence, get off your butt!

Good idea. Hence, chill out and get off HIS butt. How rude. Perhaps
you have huge amounts of time to spare to follow your cat around and
clean the box every time it gets used, but some of us are raising
large families or have other serious demands on our time.

This newsgroup was torn apart years ago by people who used a heavy
hand with the judgmental criticism. Let's not have that happen again,
eh?

I've been told that the Ionic Breeze air cleaner is good for this type
of application. anyone have any experience with this? Any other
recommendations?

Thanks!

To the original poster: I have tried any number of air filters - from
running the bathroom fan full time to those Honeywell filters that
plug into the wall to large scale HEPA filters (these really help with
cat allergies too!). The best thing I've found in filters is the
Honeywell ones. They're quiet, some have nightlights in them, and
they plug into the wall. They're about the size of a large male hand.
They use charcoal filters. It is my experience that if you're using
them to control cat box odor you need to change the filters waaay more
often than the manufacturer says - like once a month. Fortunately,
you can buy the filters in three-packs and they're relatively cheap.
The plug-in unit is around $15-$20.

A better solution, if possible, is to change the food. If you are
using cheap food, as our mutual friend assumed you are, you can
upgrade it to Science Diet, Iams, Eukanuba, something like that. If
you're using wet food, switching to dry food is guaranteed to improve
things if my cats are anything to judge by. And if you're using wet
food and have to keep on with that (my new baby came to me with a wet
food addiction; the switch to dry food is clearly going to take a lot
of time) you can experiment with different wet foods. Like I said,
the Salmon Eagle Pack makes an ultimately vile stench. The Lamb,
Chicken, and Tuna ones are not nearly as bad. I'm using Iams to hide
my other cat's thyroid pills in, and it doesn't make his poop stink
nearly as much as _any_ of the Eagle Pack formulae do.

TG

Old September 21st 04, 02:39 AM

I don't know what you're feeding your cat, but feeding a high quality food
helps with the smell.

Innova and Wellness dry cat food. Both high quality foods.

I am curious to know how you would deal with dirty diaper odour when it
comes to a human.

Dude, what is your problem? Why do you feel it is necessary to answer
a honest question with sarastic remarks? Excuse me but since I work
12 hour+ days, I can not always scope the litter box immediately after
the cat exits. Why don't you go take a dump in a litterbox and see
how it smells uncovered after a couple hours. Maybe you should be
eating more "high quality food".

We go above and beyond to take care of our cats and treat them like
children in our family.

Old September 21st 04, 02:45 AM
Judy

"Tiger Girl" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a good air cleaner/filter for removing litter box
smell?

I don't know what you're feeding your cat, but feeding a high quality

food
helps with the smell.

Huh. I feed my cat extremely premium food (Eagle Pack). It gives his
poop an absolutely toxic odor. Especially the salmon. Ugh.

Hence, I have litter
box smell between cleanings.

Hence, get off your butt!

Good idea. Hence, chill out and get off HIS butt. How rude. Perhaps
you have huge amounts of time to spare to follow your cat around and
clean the box every time it gets used, but some of us are raising
large families or have other serious demands on our time.

Oh please! It takes all of 30 seconds or less to flip a smelly cat dropping
into the toilet and flush. I may not be raising a family but I do have
serious demands on my time, regardless, I can most certainly afford the time
it takes to take care of litter box issues, the same way as you can afford
the time to post your opinion and advice to the OP.

Old September 21st 04, 04:56 AM
Judy

wrote in message
om...

I don't know what you're feeding your cat, but feeding a high quality

food
helps with the smell.

Innova and Wellness dry cat food. Both high quality foods.

I am curious to know how you would deal with dirty diaper odour when it
comes to a human.

Dude, what is your problem? Why do you feel it is necessary to answer
a honest question with sarastic remarks?

Any sarcasism is of your perception.

Excuse me but since I work 12 hour+ days, I can not always scope the litter

box immediately after
the cat exits.

I work very long hours also. I am unable to scoop immediately either, but
when I return home after a long day - it takes no time at all to toss the
smelly stuff into the toilet.

Why don't you go take a dump in a litterbox and see
how it smells uncovered after a couple hours. Maybe you should be
eating more "high quality food".

Sounds to me as though you need to get a life.

We go above and beyond to take care of our cats and treat them like
children in our family.

Seeing as you go "above and beyond" when it comes to your cats, why are you
whining?