Why do cats lick each other?

Old March 25th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
stonej

Default Why do cats lick each other?

My cats like to lick each other around the ears, head and neck. Why do
cats do that? It is a
sign of affection for each other or some instinct thing?

Old March 25th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 25 Mar, 16:22, "stonej" wrote:
My cats like to lick each other around the ears, head and neck. Why do
cats do that? It is a
sign of affection for each other or some instinct thing?

Funny that you should mention this, because 2 of my females do the
same thing too & I was thinking exactly the same thing this morning.

In my case, the elder female was a year old when the youngest joined
us. & It seems as though the elder one treats the younger cat as she
would her own kitten all grown up. She defends her against the males,
& stands up for her if there is ever a kick - off.
In times of pleasure they both sit in the same cat chair (designed for
one cat, not two!!), & as the elder one joins the younger one, she
licks her silly, pretend nibbles her throat, & the younger cat
reciprocates in the same fashion. Eventually, they stop and fall
asleep with one another

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheela...93123619975410

I would be interseted to know why they do it too?
Is it because one of them has a motherly instinct?
S;o)

Old March 25th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Running Scissors

stonej wrote:

My cats like to lick each other around the ears, head and neck. Why do
cats do that? It is a
sign of affection for each other or some instinct thing?

It serves several purposes: grooming, affection, bonding, dominance.
Old March 25th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 25 Mar, 17:13, Running Scissors wrote:
stonej wrote:
My cats like to lick each other around the ears, head and neck. Why do
cats do that? It is a
sign of affection for each other or some instinct thing?

It serves several purposes: grooming, affection, bonding, dominance.

That makes sense.
Mine are always doing it to one another, but I would say that the
dominant cat has to be Blue-Belle, the blue point older one.
Is this also why they play bite each others throats too?
S;o)

Old March 25th 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Cat Whisperer[_2_]

My male often licks the female around her neck and ears, usually proceeded
by biting her neck repeatedly... some dominant weird behavior!

ups.com...

Old March 25th 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Richard Evans

I would be interseted to know why they do it too?
Is it because one of them has a motherly instinct?

I have five males and a female. Of the males, two engage in this
behavior. Well, one does, and the other tolerates it. Up to a point.
Rascal approaches Weasel and begins licking him about the face. Weasel
seems to enjoy it, but then starts to pull away. Rascal then wraps a
paw around Weasel's neck and forces him to endure more. Weasel objects
strenuously, wrestling match ensues.

Old March 25th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
wmarcello

On Mar 25, 12:22 pm, "stonej" wrote:
My cats like to lick each other around the ears, head and neck. Why do
cats do that? It is a
sign of affection for each other or some instinct thing?

My cats do this as well. They are brother and sister from the same
litter. If you think about it, cats are always cleaning themselves,
but you can see how hard it is for them to clean their head or the
inside of their ears without some help.

Old March 26th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"wmarcello" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 25, 12:22 pm, "stonej" wrote:
My cats like to lick each other around the ears, head and neck. Why do
cats do that? It is a
sign of affection for each other or some instinct thing?

My cats do this as well. They are brother and sister from the same
litter. If you think about it, cats are always cleaning themselves,
but you can see how hard it is for them to clean their head or the
inside of their ears without some help.

And grooming behavior is common among many animals.

Lick, lick... Lisa Katt Cat anecdotes 10 December 18th 06 11:05 PM
Lick, lick, lick jmc Cat health & behaviour 0 February 16th 06 06:31 PM
Lick, lick, lick, lick...bite. sideshowhaas Cat health & behaviour 8 January 27th 06 10:06 PM
mumble mumble mumble, lick lick lick Mishi Cat anecdotes 4 December 27th 04 08:50 PM
cat starting to lick mooviefan Cat health & behaviour 2 April 3rd 04 05:15 AM