[OT] Tummy ache remedies?

Old January 23rd 05, 04:22 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-23, Margaret Fine penned:

Have you tried taking the pill with food or milk? Even tho it may seem
unrelated to when you actually take the medication this might change the
absorption rate of the pill and help.

Hrm, interesting point. The most "reliable" time for me seems to be about
11pm, so I haven't been taking it with food, though I'm not hungry, either.

Any excuse for a bedtime snack sounds good in my book!

Also, have you tried taking tagamet or drinking coke when your tummy is
actively feeling bad?

Hrm, no. I get addicted to caffeine really quickly, so I work hard to avoid
it. Does non-caffeinated coke have the same effect? (Though imo that stuff
tastes NASTY!)

Haven't tried Tagamet ... I was kind of fishing for more "easy and
non-medicinal" options, but I guess I should have said that up front =)
Still, your point is well taken.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 23rd 05, 04:23 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-23, Howard Berkowitz penned:
In article et, Margaret
Fine wrote:

Also, have you tried taking tagamet or drinking coke when your tummy is
actively feeling bad?

I'll add on that coke syrup concentrate, with no other liquid, is better for
controlling nausea.

What's the active ingredient that does the trick? I really want to avoid
caffeine.

Old January 23rd 05, 04:31 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-23, Howard Berkowitz penned:

Let me throw out several possible remedies, if you don't mind them coming
from a man. :-)

I don't care who they come from, as long as they work!

There are several fairly expensive anti-nausea syrups such as Emetrol. They
work, but I prefer to use a tablespoonful or so, every 15 minutes or so
until I feel better (or about 4-6 doses) of Coca-Cola concentrate. Many
pharmacies stock it behind the counter.

This seems to be an ongoing thing, and often seems to start when my stomach is
most empty, like an hour before I need to wake up, so I'll do this if I have
to, but I hope I don't have to make it a daily ritual!

"Sports drinks" may help, in that they have sugar in them -- which halps
sodium and potassium get absorbed. A rehydration drink with a starch in it
works far better.

Hrm. With starch? Can you give me an example? I don't recall seeing
starches listed on Gatoraide etc, but then, I wasn't looking for them. Maybe
Pedialite (sp?)? I've been told that particular stuff can really help in
endurance races.

There's a classic Chinese soup-like dish called, depending on the
dialect, jook or congee. Take a fairly small amount of rice -- perhaps
half a cup to a quart of water, or even more water, and simmer until
the rice grains start to break up. This can be flavored with lots of
things, ginger and soy being a start -- orange rind, in moderation,
gives a nice taste. Chicken simmered well in it gives you the
Chinese-Jewish approach.

This actually sounds like an awesome "feel better" recipe for more than just
upset tummies. I'll have to file it away. I guess you'd have to be careful
not to add seasonings too lively for the tummy in question.

Let me mention a couple of "upset stomach" drugs that work differently
than antacids, which I assume you've tried. Gaviscon, like
prescription Carafate, actually coats the stomach. Pepto-Bismol has
turned out, in recent years, to be much more medically respected --
the bismuth salicylate it contains actually stabilizes quite a bit and
also has real effect against certain irritation and ulceration.

I've kind of been avoiding meds so far, because I didn't want to do the wrong
thing. What I'd like to know (and can't seem to find) is *why* the pill makes
my stomach hurt. It seems like that critical bit of info would help me pick
the right approach, but all the little booklet says is that you might get a
stomach ache. Helpful, neh?

I read a lot here about giving cats yoghurt if they're on antibiotics. I
wonder if there's any similarity there to what I'm experiencing? I just don't
know enough about this stuff.

I always thought that Pepto-Bismol was a stomach coater. I don't know how it
works, but for really bad stomach aches, I've found that it has two results:
it settles your stomach or it encourages you to throw up whatever's in your
stomach, pink froth and all. The latter is still probably better than keeping
whatever's causing trouble in your stomach.

Old January 23rd 05, 04:42 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , "Monique Y.

On 2005-01-23, Margaret Fine penned:

Have you tried taking the pill with food or milk? Even tho it may seem
unrelated to when you actually take the medication this might change
the
absorption rate of the pill and help.

Hrm, interesting point. The most "reliable" time for me seems to be
about
11pm, so I haven't been taking it with food, though I'm not hungry,
either.

Any excuse for a bedtime snack sounds good in my book!

Also, have you tried taking tagamet or drinking coke when your tummy is
actively feeling bad?

Hrm, no. I get addicted to caffeine really quickly, so I work hard to
avoid
it. Does non-caffeinated coke have the same effect? (Though imo that
stuff
tastes NASTY!)

If you use the syrup, probably -- indeed, almost any soda concentrate.
You see, one of the flavoring ingredients in most sodas is phosphoric
acid, which buffers the acidity of the stomach. The concentrated sugar
helps salt absorption.

Old January 23rd 05, 04:48 AM
Seanette Blaylock

"Monique Y. Mudama" had some very interesting
things to say about [OT] Tummy ache remedies?:

Well, straight-up milk doesn't tend to like me, but ginger ale and 7-up sound
like good options. Bananas? Really? Weird.

LIS, works for me. :-)

BTW, what does YMMAPDV stand for? Google doesn't recognize it. I assume it's
related to YMMV.

It is. Your Mileage May And Probably Does Vary. :-)

Old January 23rd 05, 05:11 AM
John F. Eldredge

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:31:14 -0700, "Monique Y. Mudama"

On 2005-01-23, Howard Berkowitz penned:

[...]

The standard do-it-yourself mix for rehydrating someone with diarrhea
is water with salt and sugar (I don't remember how much of each).
The digestive system will absorb such a mix more readily than it will
plain water.

If you are having trouble with low blood sugar in the morning, you
might want to try eating a small snack at bedtime. Something with
anough starch to be digested slowly (such as beans, oatmeal, or
whole-wheat bread) would probably be of more benefit than a sugary
snack, which produces a quick spike in blood sugar, followed by low
blood sugar.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old January 23rd 05, 05:17 AM
Rrb

On 2005-01-23, Margaret Fine penned:

Have you tried taking the pill with food or milk? Even tho it may seem
unrelated to when you actually take the medication this might change the
absorption rate of the pill and help.

Hrm, interesting point. The most "reliable" time for me seems to be about
11pm, so I haven't been taking it with food, though I'm not hungry, either.

Any excuse for a bedtime snack sounds good in my book!

Also, have you tried taking tagamet or drinking coke when your tummy is
actively feeling bad?

Hrm, no. I get addicted to caffeine really quickly, so I work hard to avoid
it. Does non-caffeinated coke have the same effect? (Though imo that stuff
tastes NASTY!)

My mom gave us either seven up or ginger ale. Either one always seemed
to work for an upset stomach. I still use it to this day as it works at
least for me.
Old January 23rd 05, 05:32 AM
mlbriggs

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 05:08:55 +0000, Sherry wrote:

Stomach settlers [this is what works for me. YMMAPDV]: ginger ale,
candied ginger, 7-Up, milk [sometimes], bananas.

Ack, memories. My mom's remedy for a sick stomach was 7-up and a cold washcloth
on your neck.
I can't drink 7-up to this day. It reminds me too much of being sick.
Sherry

Guess I tend to be a worrywart, but every time I hear about repeated
stomach pain I wonder about appendicitis.
Old January 23rd 05, 05:39 AM
pmendhall

Try taking the pill at a different time of day. Sometimes that helps.

Diane

On 2005-01-23, Margaret Fine penned:

Old January 23rd 05, 05:49 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , John F. Eldredge at

On 2005-01-23, Howard Berkowitz penned:

[...]

Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (MingW32) - WinPT 0.7.96rc1

Yeah. Crackers.