Help, my cat is having problems using the box!

Old November 19th 05, 06:05 AM
messycat messycat is offline
Junior Member

Default Help, my cat is having problems using the box!

I have had my cat for almost three years now. Just about the entire time I have had her she has always had a hard time using the litter box to poop in. She urinates in it fine.I also have another cat too, with her own litter box, which she uses fine.

Back to the problem cat. I've tried different litter, places in the house, food etc..to no avail. What else can I do? Should I confine her to a limted space area and see what she does? Could this train her to use the litter box again?

Please help, i'm at my last straw now. I have a new born, and I just can't have my cat pooping randomly in the house. Thanks!
Old November 19th 05, 07:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

It's kinda hard to re-train an adult cat.. what kind of box are you using?
Belkira used to totally hate open boxes, he would only use the ones with a
top.

Privacy is certainly a must, try putting the poop in the box (as opposed to
trowing it away)...

Those are the things I can think about offhand.. I bet others will have
better ideas, I'll pop in if I think of anything.

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

Old November 19th 05, 01:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Suddenly, without warning, messycat exclaimed (19-Nov-05 5:05 AM):
I have had my cat for almost three years now. Just about the entire time
I have had her she has always had a hard time using the litter box to
poop in. She urinates in it fine.I also have another cat too, with her
own litter box, which she uses fine.

Back to the problem cat. I've tried different litter, places in the
house, food etc..to no avail. What else can I do? Should I confine her
to a limted space area and see what she does? Could this train her to
use the litter box again?

Please help, i'm at my last straw now. I have a new born, and I just
can't have my cat pooping randomly in the house. Thanks!

Two things to try:

Add a third box. Some cats like to have a poop box and a pee box. Some
people say you should always have one more box than you have cats.

If the box has a top, take it off. If it doesn't, add one.

jmc

Old November 19th 05, 03:43 PM
messycat messycat is offline
Junior Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow
It's kinda hard to re-train an adult cat.. what kind of box are you using?
Belkira used to totally hate open boxes, he would only use the ones with a
top.

Privacy is certainly a must, try putting the poop in the box (as opposed to
trowing it away)...

Those are the things I can think about offhand.. I bet others will have
better ideas, I'll pop in if I think of anything.

--
Will~
Thanks,

Sounds like a good idea. I've wanted to use an enclosed box to keep the home fresher smelling, but I've always thought my cat wouldn't be adventurous to try an eclosed box. She's kind of a scaredy cat-no pun intended-

Last edited by kevin : November 19th 05 at 04:47 PM.
Old November 19th 05, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

messycat wrote:

Thanks,

Sounds like a good idea. I've wanted to use an enclosed box to keep
the home fresher smelling, but I've always thought my cat wouldn't be
adventurous to try an eclosed box. She's kind of a scaredy cat-no pun
intended-

My scardy cat is the one who seems to like his "privacy" the most. It's
one of the bold ones who insists on an uncovered box. And the 22 pounder
needs his own giant size box of course!

And if that doesn't work, consider trying different types of litter as
well.