Flees biting kitten and ....... ME!

Old January 14th 04, 07:45 AM
Sylvia M.

"~*Connie*~" wrote in message
there is nothing you can do outside of flea spray and frontline or

advantage
or other flea medication from your vet for your pet. Fleas are notorious
for being hard to kill. You can bath your cat to help, but the fleas are
living in your environment and there is nothing that will kill the eggs,

so
you need something that will treat for several months.

Good luck.

"Asfand Yar Qazi" wrote in message
Heya,

Sorry for cross-posting. Don't know which group to send to..

So, got this kitten from Charlton in South-east London. Absolute
bargain, only £20. Crazy little blogger. Does really stupid things.
Now about a year old.

But, since he's been going outside, a worrying phenomenon has
started....

SCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHS CRATCHSCRATCH
SCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHS CRATCHSCRATCH
SCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHS CRATCHSCRATCH
SCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCH

And that's just us humans.

First a poem...a very short one:

FLEAS
Adam had em.

A cat does not have to go out to get fleas.
Humans can bring them into the house.
The flea will hop up on your sock, pants, etc, and accept the ride.
Once in, it's everybody's. So are it's progeny.

Good luck getting rid of them...many good ideas have been offered.

Sylvia...out from lurking ;-)

Old January 14th 04, 12:59 PM
Asfand Yar Qazi

Tina Laitinen wrote:

The salt one is very inexpensive and it's been tried already. Salt is not
toxic to cats and the fleas just love it. My mum tried it and she said it
got all the fleas out of her carpet.

Tina

Many suggestions he I will try as many as I can. Thanks a lot :-)

God bless,
Asfand Yar

--
http://www.it-is-truth.org/

Old January 14th 04, 04:59 PM
Alison

Hi Asfand,
What flea treatment have you used? It might be worth going to the
vet, they can supply you with
spot- on treatment that you put on once a month and a spray called
Acclaim , that you use on carpets and soft furnishings. The Acclaim
only has to be done once a year and kills all the eggs the fleas lay.
I think dry cleaning the duvets would kill the fleas and eggs.
The chemist would advise you what cream to use for fleas but any
cream for insect bites would help.
Also, if your cat goes outside he needs to be innoculated against cat
diseases and also wormed. If you can't afford a vet , the local PDSA,
RSPCA or Blue Cross might be able to help .
Alison

"Asfand Yar Qazi" wrote in
message ...
Heya,

Sorry for cross-posting. Don't know which group to send to..

So, got this kitten from Charlton in South-east London. Absolute
bargain, only £20. Crazy little blogger. Does really stupid

things.
Now about a year old.

But, since he's been going outside, a worrying phenomenon has
started....

SCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHS CRATCHSCRATCH
SCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHS CRATCHSCRATCH
SCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCHS CRATCHSCRATCH
SCRATCHSCRATCHSCRATCH

And that's just us humans. The poor cat wakes up suddenly at times

and
viciously attacks various parts of his skin.

What can we do? I've checked this website:
http://www.yourfamilyshealth.com/fam...th/pets/fleas/

and it says to vaccum regularly could have an affect. We can't

really
afford exterminators and stuff right now.

Would this not have happened if we didn't let him inside, and

trained
him to stay inside all the time?

btw, as a side note, does anyone have any advice for us poor humans?
Any cream we can put on our skins to stop the biting? Oh, and will
washing duvets kill them?

Thanks,
Asfand Yar

--
http://www.it-is-truth.org/

Old January 14th 04, 06:02 PM
Sunflower

[...]

One inexpensive aid to ridding your home of fleas is to construct a "flea
trap" All you need is a night light for an electrical outlet located low
down on the wall by a baseboard and a cake or pie pan or other shallow pan.
Fill the pan with water and add a few squirts of dish soap mixing it up
thouroughly but without making suds. When you get ready to go to bed, place
the pan on the floor below the nightlight and turn the light on. In the
darkness, the fleas will jump towards the light, land in the water, and
because the soap breaks the surface tension that would otherwise support
them on top of the water, they will sink and drown. It's pretty frightening
how many you can get up in the morning and see at the bottom! For
households with curious cats (isnt' that all of them?) putting a pie tin
inside of a just slightly larger shallow pan can help keep you cat from
turning it over and spilling the water.

This doesn't work by itself. You have to combine approaches. You MUST treat
your cat for fleas using Frontline or one of the other veterinary available
flea products. Don't waste your money and time and risk your cat's health
by using an over the counter flea preventative on your cat. You must also
treat the home environment, and that involves a lot of vacuuming. Vacuum
every day, and don't forget the soft furnishings like the sofa and the
drapes and the mattresses. Throw away the used vacuum bags every day and
don't let them sit in the closet. I do not know what home insecticide
treatments are available in the UK, but you want to purchase one (a fogger,
perhaps) with an insect growth regulator. Be sure to follow the directions
of any chemical you may buy, and remove the cat's food and water bowls as
well as any people food that might come into contact with the chemical.

You CAN rid your home of fleas, but it's not a quick process. And, once you
do so, you must be very vigilant about a reinfestation. The usual source is
an animal that is allowed to go in and out, or a new animal that's infested
already. If you wish to continue to allow your cat outdoor access, it's
imperative that he receive the Frontline monthly and you continue to
practice a lot of vacuuming and throw away the bags. It's a lot easier on
you and the cat if you just restrict his access to indoors only though.

Old January 14th 04, 09:55 PM
Ivor Jones

"Alison" wrote in message
Hi Asfand,
What flea treatment have you used? It might be worth going to the
vet, they can supply you with
spot- on treatment that you put on once a month

I can thoroughly recommend Advantage - it turns your cat into a walking
flea killer :-))

Ivor

Old January 15th 04, 11:40 PM
Asfand Yar Qazi

Sunflower wrote:

You CAN rid your home of fleas, but it's not a quick process. And, once you
do so, you must be very vigilant about a reinfestation. The usual source is
an animal that is allowed to go in and out, or a new animal that's infested
already. If you wish to continue to allow your cat outdoor access, it's
imperative that he receive the Frontline monthly and you continue to
practice a lot of vacuuming and throw away the bags.

Great. More work. Its my brother's cat, and he's away at University 5
days a week.

It's a lot easier on
you and the cat if you just restrict his access to indoors only though.

Problem is though, that he's an outdoor animal now (he's been brought up
like that I'm afraid.) My Mum, having been brought up in Pakistan with
animals all her life (cats, dogs, chickens, buffalos, etc.!), can't bear
to see it scratching on the door wanting to go out ("Its in its nature,
I can't stop it," she says.)

Some people keep their cat outside in the shed at all times, even when
they've had kittens. What are your thoughts on this?

--
http://www.it-is-truth.org/