taking care of cats when you are wheechair bound?

Old September 27th 04, 09:26 PM
jhill

Default taking care of cats when you are wheechair bound?

This may have been addressed here before, but how do people who are
wheelchair-bound feed and clean out the litter tray. My brother is recently
in that state, and can't reach down to the floor anymore to do it. I have
to go over there and do it for him.
Has anyone been successful in putting them on like a bench or small, not
very high table, and have the cats climb up to get to them? Especially
since they have have been on the floor since he got the cats.

Old September 27th 04, 09:38 PM
CatNipped

"jhill" wrote in message
This may have been addressed here before, but how do people who are
wheelchair-bound feed and clean out the litter tray. My brother is
recently
in that state, and can't reach down to the floor anymore to do it. I have
to go over there and do it for him.
Has anyone been successful in putting them on like a bench or small, not
very high table, and have the cats climb up to get to them? Especially
since they have have been on the floor since he got the cats.

As long as the cat has no problem jumping up to the bench or table, I don't
see why putting it up higher would be a problem. I would keep it in the
same room/location as it is now, just elevate it onto something and then
show the cat where it is.

Good luck to your brother, we're sending purrs that everything goes OK with
him and his kitties.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old September 27th 04, 10:10 PM
Jo Firey

"jhill" wrote in message
This may have been addressed here before, but how do people who are
wheelchair-bound feed and clean out the litter tray. My brother is
recently
in that state, and can't reach down to the floor anymore to do it. I have
to go over there and do it for him.
Has anyone been successful in putting them on like a bench or small, not
very high table, and have the cats climb up to get to them? Especially
since they have have been on the floor since he got the cats.

I haven't fed a cat on the floor since we got out first dog. They are
delighted to eat on countertops, on top of the refrigerator, in the middle
of your bed or wherever else the food might happen to be. Mine currently
eat on the counter in the bathroom.

I would think most cats would use a litter box on a sufficiently large
elevated surface. High enough for someone in a wheelchair to scoop.
Changing out the litter might or might not be beyond them. I have to
qualify this as some cats object to the box being moved, others don't have
such great aim, etc.

Jo

Old September 28th 04, 12:08 AM
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"jhill" wrote in message
[...]

I had an idea that suddenly occurred to me, and this is that I would do.
The first day I would get some housebricks, and put the litter tray on that,
so it's just a few inches higher than normal. When the kitties are
confident about using it, I'd add another brick, so it's twice as high and
let them use that for a week or so.
Weekly, I'd raise it so the cats are used to climbing higher and higher to
use their tray, until you get it to the height that you want.
I don't see why this wouldn't work.

Tweed