identity crisis

Old July 15th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default identity crisis

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

wafflycat wrote:

Oh and you *don't* need a cockerel in order
to have the hens lay eggs.

Yeah, that bit of information was a real surprise to me, having been a
city girl all my life, so never having had close acquaintance with
domestic fowl! (Is that true of ALL birds, or just chickens?)

Lots of egg-laying species lay unfertilized eggs, which the males
fertilize afterwards. I don't know what the case is for different bird
species, though.

If you think about it, humans "lay" unfertilized eggs, too. It's just
that our eggs are very, very small.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 15th 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat[_2_]

Yeah, that bit of information was a real surprise to me, having been a
city girl all my life, so never having had close acquaintance with
domestic fowl! (Is that true of ALL birds, or just chickens?)

You only have to have a cockerel involved if you want *fertilised* eggs.
Many birds produce unfertilised eggs. And we ladies still produce eggs
without having to have a male involved ;-)

Old July 16th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"wafflycat" wrote in message

Yeah, that bit of information was a real surprise to me, having been a
city girl all my life, so never having had close acquaintance with
domestic fowl! (Is that true of ALL birds, or just chickens?)

You only have to have a cockerel involved if you want *fertilised* eggs.
Many birds produce unfertilised eggs. And we ladies still produce eggs
without having to have a male involved ;-)

It's a common misconception that a cockerel is needed for hens to produce
eggs - and also that hens keep laying eggs all day, loads of them ;-)
One egg a day is the best you can hope for. They have a 23-25 hour laying
cycle as a young hen, which reduces with age. That's why they go out of the
battery farms after a year and a half into chicken pies.
My first hens were pullets that were about to go into cages. They laid like
stink for two years then started to die of egg peritonitis. They are not
designed to live for years. I got a couple of them up to 7 but it was rare.
I got fed up with that so I went into pure breeds, which lay less, but live
much longer. They almost always live until 7-12 yo

Old July 16th 08, 09:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

It's a common misconception that a cockerel is needed for hens to produce
eggs - and also that hens keep laying eggs all day, loads of them ;-)
One egg a day is the best you can hope for. They have a 23-25 hour laying
cycle as a young hen, which reduces with age. That's why they go out of
the battery farms after a year and a half into chicken pies.

Since I got The Laydeez, who are, as you know, ex-battery hens, they've
produced (as of yesterday) 129 eggs between them. They do exactly what is
expected of a hen, an egg a day until the clutch is done, a day off, then
start again on another clutch. Anode, in particular, is a prolific layer,
laying for 15-17 days straight: day off - back to laying. And it would seem
my ex-batts are not unusual. So much for 'spent hens'!

Old July 16th 08, 10:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat[_2_]

"wafflycat" wrote in message

Since I got The Laydeez, who are, as you know, ex-battery hens, they've
produced (as of yesterday) 129 eggs between them. They do exactly what is
expected of a hen, an egg a day until the clutch is done, a day off, then
start again on another clutch. Anode, in particular, is a prolific layer,
laying for 15-17 days straight: day off - back to laying. And it would
seem my ex-batts are not unusual. So much for 'spent hens'!

Make that 130.. Anode has just laid again

Old July 16th 08, 08:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wafflycat wrote:

Yeah, that bit of information was a real surprise to me, having been a
city girl all my life, so never having had close acquaintance with
domestic fowl! (Is that true of ALL birds, or just chickens?)

You only have to have a cockerel involved if you want *fertilised* eggs.
Many birds produce unfertilised eggs. And we ladies still produce eggs
without having to have a male involved ;-)

True, but ours are not so visible (nor do they have any practical use).
Old July 17th 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

wafflycat wrote:
Poor Francis. He adores his hens. He will sit watching them with an
entirely quizzical expression on his lovely feline face as they tuck
into grass; scratch about in the soil looking for bugs, worms, snails,
grit... snip
I now have a cat who thinks he's a hen. He has taken to eating their
sweetcorn. Sigh...

What a wonderful update!
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek
Old July 20th 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

Jofirey wrote:
"Ted Davis" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:33:14 +0100, wafflycat wrote:

I now have a cat who thinks he's a hen. He has taken to eating
their
sweetcorn. Sigh...

That *is* unusual: usually, they want it on the cob
(http://67.54.246.139:9000/tdavis/cats/happiness/corn.jpg). I
have two
others that eat sweet corn - all prefer it on the cob. None like
canned
corn.

I take it the LayDeez had a rough upbringing and are delighted with
whatever form is available.

I love these stories and keep wondering if it would be possible to
keep a few hens in my back yard. What to they need? Shelter, water,
food?

Our city expressly forbids the keeping of chickens - and is one of the
few municipalities in Canada to do so. Crazy really - I mean, we could
save money, save gas and packaging, pesticide control (not that we spray
anyway), and other good environmentally friendly things.

Do cats *ever* take a run at a chicken? I'd be slightly worried about
Otis' propensity to take down large jackrabbits. Of course, jackrabbits
don't have beaks.

Susan M
Otis and Chester
Old July 20th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

wafflycat wrote:
Poor Francis. He adores his hens. He will sit watching them with an
entirely quizzical expression on his lovely feline face as they tuck
into grass; scratch about in the soil looking for bugs, worms, snails,
grit... He is, however, confused in his sense of identity. He has not
been the same since Anode stuck her nether regions in his face and
popped out an egg as she did so. It doesn't help that The Laydeez have
taken it upon themselves to follow me about as they free-range in the
garden. They have discovered that if they follow me into the house they
can see the fount of all wonder: the microwave. For, lo! From the fount
of all wonder doth come forth delicious manna of the gods: warm
sweetcorn. So once they follow me into the house, into the kitchen, and
they stand in front of the fount of all wonder, heads bobbing about,
happy clucking sounds made and behind them is Francis, watching... I
feed The Laydeez their treat of sweetcorn out in the garden. I place it
on a dish and this is leapt upon by merrily clucking hens, followed by
hoovering up of golden yellow goodness and scratching it out of the
dish, splattering it about and they chase up each scattered kernel.
Francis looks on. Once The Laydeez have hoovered up the vast majority,
they are joined by a lovely black & white boycat who has decided that as
The Laydeez seem to be so obviously enjoying the yellow jewels, they
must taste good.

I now have a cat who thinks he's a hen. He has taken to eating their
sweetcorn. Sigh...

Love the story - thank you!

Susan M
Otis and Chester