'Temptations' anti-hairball snacks?

Old August 1st 10, 02:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KenK

Default 'Temptations' anti-hairball snacks?

Anyone tried the Whiska's 'Temptations' hairball control cat snacks? I've
unsuccessfully tried everything else I'm aware of or heard about here
(anti-hairball food I've tried gives her diarrhea). BM problems? Other
problems? I'm going to try Google later this morning.

TIA

Old August 1st 10, 03:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"KenK" wrote

Anyone tried the Whiska's 'Temptations' hairball control cat snacks? I've
unsuccessfully tried everything else I'm aware of or heard about here
(anti-hairball food I've tried gives her diarrhea). BM problems? Other
problems? I'm going to try Google later this morning.

Hi KenK, not being sure what you may have tried, here's the gist of what
I've read.

Most commercial anti-hairball things all act like a laxative. Some more
strongly than others. Many (myself included) feel this isn't healthy over
long term so have taken to other methods. These assume you are well past
the basics of brushing as much excess as feasible on a regular basis.

Several chimed in recently with a sort of 'fiber addition'. I've not used
this personally in any deliberate way but others have had success. Most
mentioned pumpkin (the orange stuff used at Halloween if you aren't USA and
pumpkin has a wider meaning). Folks get cans of it then freeze in small
portions and dole out with the food. Some mentioned this works for any
'winter squash' that the cat likes. It's pureed fairly fine and added by
the tablespoon or with some cats, 1/2 tablespoon twice a day. My cat and
dog like acorn squash baked with butter so they always get a little scoop
when we make some. Apparent effect here on both pets is a mild stool
softening but not at all like diarrhea.

My own methods seem to be related to feeding broth (home made, salt free,
bone broth mostly left over chicken carcasses tossed in a crockpot) and
feeding a bit of extra fat (Olive oil, bacon or chicken rendered fat etc).

Both methods are utterly harmless to try with the fiber addition being the
more well known one. Just keep it salt free as possible for pet use (They
aren't as sodium tolerant as we are in the long run).

Last but not least, my experience has been that cats fed on a dry kibble
diet, no matter how high the quality of it, tend to have more furball
problems. They also have a higher prevalence of other problems due to
moisture intake issues not related to your question.

The easiest path if you are dry feeding now, is to try wet feeding for a
week (remove the dry) and see if it helps. Best method is a small can in
the morning and another in the evening. Fancy Feast may not be the best on
the market, but will do for this and you don't have to mess with storing 1/2
the larger can in the fridge for 'dinner'.

Old August 1st 10, 04:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KenK

"cshenk" wrote in
:

"KenK" wrote

Anyone tried the Whiska's 'Temptations' hairball control cat snacks?
I've unsuccessfully tried everything else I'm aware of or heard about
here (anti-hairball food I've tried gives her diarrhea). BM problems?
Other problems? I'm going to try Google later this morning.

Hi KenK, not being sure what you may have tried, here's the gist of
what I've read.

Most commercial anti-hairball things all act like a laxative. Some
more strongly than others. Many (myself included) feel this isn't
healthy over long term so have taken to other methods.

I did some research since I posted and the snacks I mentioned contain
petrolatum. Same as Laxatone. Quarter to half teaspoon doses of Laxatone
every two or three days don't help her. A single teaspoon dose helps for
a day or two but really screws up her BMs - soft and way too often, last
time five or six in two days! So I likely won't bother trying the snacks.

These assume
you are well past the basics of brushing as much excess as feasible on
a regular basis.

Yes. She's a short-hair.

Several chimed in recently with a sort of 'fiber addition'. I've not
used this personally in any deliberate way but others have had
success.

I've been using 1/8 tsp. generic unflavored Metamucil in each of all
three meals for months now. Can't see that it is helping any. She
dislikes it. I probably should quit.

Most mentioned pumpkin (the orange stuff used at Halloween
if you aren't USA and pumpkin has a wider meaning). Folks get cans of
it then freeze in small portions and dole out with the food. Some
mentioned this works for any 'winter squash' that the cat likes. It's
pureed fairly fine and added by the tablespoon or with some cats, 1/2
tablespoon twice a day. My cat and dog like acorn squash baked with
butter so they always get a little scoop when we make some. Apparent
effect here on both pets is a mild stool softening but not at all like
diarrhea.

I've tried a teaspoon of pumpkin before, once a day for a few days with
little success. I'm cuuently trying is again, this time for at least a
week, mixed with one of her meals. She'll eat it, but not by itself.

My own methods seem to be related to feeding broth (home made, salt
free, bone broth mostly left over chicken carcasses tossed in a
crockpot) and feeding a bit of extra fat (Olive oil, bacon or chicken
rendered fat etc).

I've tried olive oil. A quarter tsp. with each of three meals doesn't
help. I upped it to 1/2 tsp. but she won't eat her food then.

Both methods are utterly harmless to try with the fiber addition being
the more well known one. Just keep it salt free as possible for pet
use (They aren't as sodium tolerant as we are in the long run).

Last but not least, my experience has been that cats fed on a dry
kibble diet, no matter how high the quality of it, tend to have more
furball problems. They also have a higher prevalence of other
problems due to moisture intake issues not related to your question.

I only feed her Wellness canned chicken. For months now. Any other brand
or dry food, even Wellness, gives her diarrhea, some more often than
others, usually one meal will do it. The Fancy Feast trout feast doesn't
bother her most of the time, but can be difficult to find. Feeding canned
Wellness, purchased by the case, is simpler. Odd, a year or so ago she
could eat anything. She's 14 - 15 now.

Old August 1st 10, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"KenK" wrote
"cshenk" wrote in

Anyone tried the Whiska's 'Temptations' hairball control cat snacks?

Hi KenK, not being sure what you may have tried, here's the gist of
what I've read.

Most commercial anti-hairball things all act like a laxative. Some
more strongly than others. Many (myself included) feel this isn't
healthy over long term so have taken to other methods.

I did some research since I posted and the snacks I mentioned contain
petrolatum. Same as Laxatone. Quarter to half teaspoon doses of Laxatone
every two or three days don't help her. A single teaspoon dose helps for
a day or two but really screws up her BMs - soft and way too often, last
time five or six in two days! So I likely won't bother trying the snacks.

Yes, messes with her digestion of nutients as well over time.

These assume
you are well past the basics of brushing as much excess as feasible on
a regular basis.

Yes. She's a short-hair.

That actually means less than you may think. Had a set of long hair and
short once. Short hair had the issues and it wasnt just him grooming the
long hair. I had to get a sort of rubber mitt for him. Standard brushes
only work on middle to long hairs. You probably tried this already and do
it but worth mentioning if another didnt know it.

Several chimed in recently with a sort of 'fiber addition'. I've not
used this personally in any deliberate way but others have had
success.

I've been using 1/8 tsp. generic unflavored Metamucil in each of all
three meals for months now. Can't see that it is helping any. She
dislikes it. I probably should quit.

I wouldnt bother with that.

Most mentioned pumpkin (the orange stuff used at Halloween
if you aren't USA and pumpkin has a wider meaning). Folks get cans of
it then freeze in small portions and dole out with the food. Some
mentioned this works for any 'winter squash' that the cat likes. It's
pureed fairly fine and added by the tablespoon or with some cats, 1/2
tablespoon twice a day. My cat and dog like acorn squash baked with
butter so they always get a little scoop when we make some. Apparent
effect here on both pets is a mild stool softening but not at all like
diarrhea.

I've tried a teaspoon of pumpkin before, once a day for a few days with
little success. I'm cuuently trying is again, this time for at least a
week, mixed with one of her meals. She'll eat it, but not by itself.

I am pretty sure the amounts needed to be more. I do know my current cat
Daisy loves acorn squash with butter. Just as is. Lots of butter Mom!

She doesnt get this regular as we don't make winter squashes that regular,
but when we do, she gets it as a variation.

My own methods seem to be related to feeding broth (home made, salt
free, bone broth mostly left over chicken carcasses tossed in a
crockpot) and feeding a bit of extra fat (Olive oil, bacon or chicken
rendered fat etc).

I've tried olive oil. A quarter tsp. with each of three meals doesn't
help. I upped it to 1/2 tsp. but she won't eat her food then.

See if bacon fat (just save it up in a jar) works better? Unless you don't
do bacon. If so and you have no objection, you can probably find a friend
willing to save off a bit for your cat. Another one is butter which works
in small amounts as most cats are lactose intolerant but in small bits, they
all love it from my experience (note, butter. Most will ignore margarine).

Last but not least, my experience has been that cats fed on a dry
kibble diet, no matter how high the quality of it, tend to have more
furball problems. They also have a higher prevalence of other
problems due to moisture intake issues not related to your question.

I only feed her Wellness canned chicken. For months now. Any other brand
or dry food, even Wellness, gives her diarrhea, some more often than
others, usually one meal will do it. The Fancy Feast trout feast doesn't
bother her most of the time, but can be difficult to find. Feeding canned
Wellness, purchased by the case, is simpler. Odd, a year or so ago she
could eat anything. She's 14 - 15 now.

This sounds like an allergy. That can develop over time. If your furball
issues developed at the same time as the picky eating, then the next step
might be to start checking foods without the common allergens. These are
corn, wheat, and soy.

Old August 1st 10, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KenK

"cshenk" wrote in
:

"KenK" wrote
"cshenk" wrote in

[...]

No, I didn't know it. I've been using a brush with wire bristles first
(which gets a _lot_ of hair!), followed by a regular pet brush.

Several chimed in recently with a sort of 'fiber addition'. I've
not used this personally in any deliberate way but others have had
success.

I've been using 1/8 tsp. generic unflavored Metamucil in each of all
three meals for months now. Can't see that it is helping any. She
dislikes it. I probably should quit.

I wouldnt bother with that.

But it works for me! I've taken it for decades and I don't have any
hairball problems at all!

Most mentioned pumpkin (the orange stuff used at Halloween
if you aren't USA and pumpkin has a wider meaning). Folks get cans
of it then freeze in small portions and dole out with the food.
Some mentioned this works for any 'winter squash' that the cat
likes. It's pureed fairly fine and added by the tablespoon or with
some cats, 1/2 tablespoon twice a day. My cat and dog like acorn
squash baked with butter so they always get a little scoop when we
make some. Apparent effect here on both pets is a mild stool
softening but not at all like diarrhea.

I've tried a teaspoon of pumpkin before, once a day for a few days
with little success. I'm cuuently trying is again, this time for at
least a week, mixed with one of her meals. She'll eat it, but not by
itself.

I am pretty sure the amounts needed to be more.

I have a ton of pumpkin in the freezer plus a large unopened can. Not pie
filling. Hard to find. I can't recall ever seeing canned squash and I
don't eat the stuff. I'll try two teaspoons of pumpkin once a day?

[...]

I'll think about this. Though since the 1/4 tsp. olive oil per meal
didn't help a bit...

[...]

The furballs started when I switched her to Wellness canned. No problems
with the Fancy Feast trout feast. I'll see what I can discover. Maybe I
can find a food she can eat that is also anti-hairball.

Old August 1st 10, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KenK

"cshenk" wrote in
:

This sounds like an allergy. That can develop over time. If your
furball issues developed at the same time as the picky eating, then
the next step might be to start checking foods without the common
allergens. These are corn, wheat, and soy.

That doesn't seem to be it. She gets diarrhea from one Wellness Indoor
Health dry food meal and I just checked and it doesn't list any of these in
the ingredients. Maybe something else?

Old August 2nd 10, 08:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 10:28:07 -0400, cshenk wrote:
My own methods seem to be related to feeding broth (home made, salt free,
bone broth mostly left over chicken carcasses tossed in a crockpot) and
feeding a bit of extra fat (Olive oil, bacon or chicken rendered fat etc).

As you mentioned later, salt is an issue with broth (depending on
your recipe) and most definitely with bacon fat.

I'm a little nervous about the idea of feeding any cat extra dietary
fat on a regular basis. Wouldn't that tend to either depress the
appetite, thus leading to protein deficiency, or else have them
eating too many calories?

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old August 2nd 10, 05:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene

On Aug 1, 12:43*pm, KenK wrote:
"cshenk" wrote om:

This sounds like an allergy. *That can develop over time. *If your
furball issues developed at the same time as the picky eating, then
the next step might be to start checking foods without the common
allergens. *These are corn, wheat, and soy.

That doesn't seem to be it. She gets diarrhea from one Wellness Indoor
Health dry food meal and I just checked and it doesn't list any of these in
the ingredients. Maybe something else?

Fish is also a common allergen. You said she is able to eat the canned
Wellness chicken. Have you tried the Wellness canned turkey as a test
(green can)?

I am sorry you are still having hairball problems. As another poster
said, my experience has been that hairballs decrease when I feed a
canned only diet. IMO since you are having possible allergy problems,
I would avoid the Temptations treats. Stick with Petromalt or just
plain petroleum jelly.
Old August 2nd 10, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KenK

Rene wrote in
:

On Aug 1, 12:43*pm, KenK wrote:
"cshenk" wrote
innews:zcSdnfrnJ83lNMjRnZ2dnUVZ_v6dnZ2d@

giganews.com:

This sounds like an allergy. *That can develop over time. *If your
furball issues developed at the same time as the picky eating, then
the next step might be to start checking foods without the common
allergens. *These are corn, wheat, and soy.

That doesn't seem to be it. She gets diarrhea from one Wellness
Indoor Health dry food meal and I just checked and it doesn't list
any of these

in
the ingredients. Maybe something else?

Fish is also a common allergen. You said she is able to eat the canned
Wellness chicken. Have you tried the Wellness canned turkey as a test
(green can)?

Can't. Only dealer here sells only by the case. Since she seems to be
thriving on chicken I don't want to spend ~$30 on a food she may/can not
eat. Wellness doesn't seem to provide samples of their canned stuff, just
dry. Also, the Fancy Feast trout feast agreed with her before I switched
to Wellness.

I am sorry you are still having hairball problems. As another poster
said, my experience has been that hairballs decrease when I feed a
canned only diet. IMO since you are having possible allergy problems,
I would avoid the Temptations treats. Stick with Petromalt or just
plain petroleum jelly.

Currently I'm going with pumpkin once a day again; this time I'll stay
with it for a week or two. I've been adding a teaspoon to one meal a day.
Advice here was for more. I briefly Googled and 1 tsp. seems to be the
popular dose. I think I'll stay with that. If it doesn't help I'll try 2
tsp. I tried two yesterday as an experiment and she ate it without a
problem. I rashly assume the stuff is harmless to her. I decided to drop
the 1/8 tsp generic Metamucil added to each meal. She dislikes it and it
doesn't seem to matter.

Old August 2nd 10, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene

Can't. Only dealer here sells only by the case. Since she seems to be
thriving on chicken I don't want to spend ~$30 on a food she may/can not
eat. Wellness doesn't seem to provide samples of their canned stuff, just
dry. Also, the Fancy Feast trout feast agreed with her before I switched
to Wellness.

Have you called Wellness to ask? They might send you some money-off
coupons for the canned, at least. I've called them in the past and
they have been helpful, even sending me vouchers when I had vomiting
problems with their beef and chicken canned.

Currently I'm going with pumpkin once a day again; this time I'll stay
with it for a week or two. I've been adding a teaspoon to one meal a day.
Advice here was for more. I briefly Googled and 1 tsp. seems to be the
popular dose. I think I'll stay with that. If it doesn't help I'll try 2
tsp. I tried two yesterday as an experiment and she ate it without a
problem. I rashly assume the stuff is harmless to her. I decided to drop
the 1/8 tsp generic Metamucil added to each meal. She dislikes it and it
doesn't seem to matter.

That right, you were using the pumpkin. I'd stick with it for a few
weeks and see what happens.