Full Circuit on Male Cat Blockages

Old December 19th 17, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Peter W.

Default Full Circuit on Male Cat Blockages

Do you all remember when male cats were supposed to be neutered as soon as possible as there was "No effect on future urinary problems"? And everyone looked down on people delaying neutering to allow male cats to mature?

Not so much any more. Our 4-year, 6-month old Maine Coon mix went in for blockage on Saturday afternoon. We got it _very_ early. Even so, he got out Monday evening, some four-figures later, with two medications and a bunch of sample diets. We had brought him into CARES in Langhorne, PA, and our regular vet (Rau in Glenside, PA) had sent up his full records since he was 8 weeks old. CARES does a tag-team approach to patient discharge, the vet, vet-tech, and any consultants on-site at the time all participate.

First thing the Vet (29 years old, Penn Vet) and the urologist (31, Cornell) stated was that he was neutered far too young (7 months) for the size, breed and his general health (otherwise excellent). His urethra was under-developed, and if he blocks again, the next step is surgery - essentially almost transgender surgery and not cheap. Apparently, the latest research suggests 8-12 months for typical males, and 18 months to two years for some specific breeds including Maine Coons and Norwegian Forest Cats. Not yet engraved in stone - but trending that way. Something to think about.

Both the vet and the urologist were women, by the way. None of that male sympathy stuff.

As always, take the advice of your *trusted* vet, but ask the question. And there is no reason not to get a second opinion, either way.

Let the flames begin.
Old December 21st 17, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Peter W.

On Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 1:47:46 PM UTC-5, Peter W. wrote:
[...]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8cem07ows..._1192.JPG?dl=0

Seamus (Left) back home, with Murphy (right). Note the bare spot on his foreleg from the IV drip.