New family member?

Old January 24th 06, 07:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default New family member?

The young man in the apartment across the hall moved out
over the weekend (sort of - he took his TV set and stereo,
but left most of his furniture, some of his clothes, and his
cat). He was under notice of eviction, since he hadn't paid
his rent for three months, carefully avoided any encounter
with the building manager, and ignored any written notices.
He did leave food and water for her - plus a litter box
that reeked of ammonia (no wonder she'd been using the
carpet, instead). Since Melisande is a sociable sort, and I
know badly misses her former roommate (Patches, RB) I said
I'd take this one on until they can find a home for her. We
named her Jasmine (if the neighbor ever named her, he didn't
share that information), and if things continue as
peacefully as they've started out, it looks like Melisande
has a new companion.

The manager would take her, but her neutered male snowshoe
started protesting before they even got the little orphan
inside their door. (He likes dogs, but not other cats, it
seems.) She's adorable, very tiny (at least compared to
eleven pound Melly) a black and white splotched domestic
short-hair, and (we discovered to our dismay) declawed.

Melly's approach to her has been cautious, but amiable - no
growls, just a few curious sniffs, and a great deal of quiet
observation. The newcomer, also, hasn't really puffed up
and hissed (just a small, warning spit when Melly got too
friendly). However, now she's beginning to feel more at
ease, I've been hearing the most alarming growls and yowls
from that direction. She's very timid, so apparently hasn't
the courage to attack (or the armament - which for the
moment may be fortunate), and Melly just walks away when she
starts cutting up, but it's Melisande's home, and I don't
quite know how to convince the newcomer that it is SHE who
is the guest, here!

The declawed bit worries me a little - especially since
Melly absolutely REFUSED (vehmently) to have her own claws
clipped in deference to the newcomer's lack of natural
defenses - but judging by the lack of any real friction so
far, it looks as though I'll be buying rations for two,
again. We'll see how it goes tonight (and if they let me
sleep). The way my small apartment is laid out, I don't
have any way of segregating the two, but if they continue
their current behaviour, I shouldn't need to.

Old January 24th 06, 10:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
The young man in the apartment across the hall moved out
over the weekend (sort of - he took his TV set and stereo,
but left most of his furniture, some of his clothes, and his
cat). He was under notice of eviction, since he hadn't paid
his rent for three months, carefully avoided any encounter
with the building manager, and ignored any written notices.
He did leave food and water for her - plus a litter box
that reeked of ammonia (no wonder she'd been using the
carpet, instead). Since Melisande is a sociable sort, and I
know badly misses her former roommate (Patches, RB) I said
I'd take this one on until they can find a home for her. We
named her Jasmine (if the neighbor ever named her, he didn't
share that information), and if things continue as
peacefully as they've started out, it looks like Melisande
has a new companion.

POOO on someone who would abandon a cat like that! although I suspect that's
how I was aquired by Persia. When I reported a "found" cat at the apartment
managers office I was informed a lot of people leave cats behind when they
move out. NO IDEA why. Persia is such a sweet, loving cat; it makes no
sense that someone would simply abandon her.

The manager would take her, but her neutered male snowshoe
started protesting before they even got the little orphan
inside their door. (He likes dogs, but not other cats, it
seems.) She's adorable, very tiny (at least compared to
eleven pound Melly) a black and white splotched domestic
short-hair, and (we discovered to our dismay) declawed.

Yeah, Persia was front declawed. Wouldn't have been my choice but it
doesn't seem to have hampered her any.

[...]

Purrs for a successful integration. Sounds like it will work out, given a
little time. Bless you for taking on the new one.

Jill

Old January 24th 06, 11:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]

Bless you for taking Jasmine in, and may the itnegration go peacably.

Yowie

Old January 24th 06, 12:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
The young man in the apartment across the hall moved out
over the weekend (sort of - he took his TV set and stereo,
but left most of his furniture, some of his clothes, and his
cat).

snip

Congratulations, Jasmine, you've found your onetruehome. Just remember to
play nice, there's pleanty of love for two cats, you don't need to be
jealous.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old January 24th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]

I am so glad you took her in! She must have been so scared. I think some
of the best "kids" are acquired this way, though. I hope all goes smoothly.
Congratulations! You're a two-timing slave again. :~)

kili

Old January 24th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I'd take this one on until they can find a home for her. We
named her Jasmine (if the neighbor ever named her, he didn't
share that information), and if things continue as
peacefully as they've started out, it looks like Melisande
has a new companion.

What a lucky little girl Jasmine is to have someone like you,
kind and caring, to give her a home at this sad time in her life.
Don't have too much concern about her having the handicap
of declaw; we recently successfully introduced a much
smaller cat than the "porkers" here with a very bad history
of abuse after abandonment (in another state). My relative
there had gone over and taken her home after a friend who
lived where she was abandoned told him of her sad life
as a stray at mercy of cruel cat abusers there, after her owner
just moved away and left her there, outside. She is terrified of
any handling of plastic bags and has a permanent "kink" near
end of tail where the monsters tied cats together by tails to
"make them fight". Strangely enough, the porkers here are
very cool with the newcomer and even the bully huge male
of 18# is friendly to her (she is tiny; about 8# or so, compared
to the porkers) and except for some food aggressiveness, all
is great now.No one here goes outside so she lives in a safe,
quiet home now.

Old January 24th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Melly's approach to her has been cautious, but amiable - no
growls, just a few curious sniffs, and a great deal of quiet
observation. The newcomer, also, hasn't really puffed up
and hissed (just a small, warning spit when Melly got too
friendly). However, now she's beginning to feel more at
ease, I've been hearing the most alarming growls and yowls
from that direction. She's very timid, so apparently hasn't
the courage to attack (or the armament - which for the
moment may be fortunate), and Melly just walks away when she
starts cutting up, but it's Melisande's home, and I don't
quite know how to convince the newcomer that it is SHE who
is the guest, here!

It's my observation that it usually is the cat who is feeling
out-of-place and insecure that does the growling and hissing.
Jasmine probably recognizes Melly's prior claim and is trying to
carve out a place for herself. If Melly doesn't feel
threatened, they should do fine. Purrs that they don't feel the
need to work things out too much tonight and you can sleep
peacefully.

--

Wayne, with special purrformances by Will and Heidi
Old January 24th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]

I hope it goes well for you all, she's a lucky cat, sounds like her
previous slave wasn't that interested anyway.

Old January 24th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

SOunds like it is going well actually. WE've never had trouble with the mix
of clawed and declawed cats that we took in. Poor wee one. I'm glad that
Melli has a friend (soon to be friend).

Old January 24th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
snip
The declawed bit worries me a little - especially since Melly absolutely
REFUSED (vehmently) to have her own claws clipped in deference to the
newcomer's lack of natural defenses - but judging by the lack of any
real friction so far, it looks as though I'll be buying rations for two,
again. We'll see how it goes tonight (and if they let me sleep). The
way my small apartment is laid out, I don't have any way of segregating
the two, but if they continue their current behaviour, I shouldn't need to.

Poor baby, she's very lucky that you took her in. Purrs that the
integration continues well.

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi