Combining Hill's c/d-s and Uroeze (Ammonium Chloride)

Old September 6th 03, 09:00 PM
MarkF

Your veterinarian is quite correct on this one. If you dose the cat
with Uroeze according to directions and then add in a food which is
designed to acidify the diet to the proper range of 6.2-6.4 you run
the risk of over acidifying the diet and endangering the cat with the
formation of Calcium Oxalte crystals which form in aicd urine below
6.2.

I spoke to my vet about the situation (my wife spoke to him first) and
though at first he kept to his first argument, ultimately he agreed
with me. I started by explaining that the cat primarily eats the
Uroeze-treated wet food, but that as a "snack" we give him a small
amount of the dry found. He again tried to argue that this would
"over acidify" him, but again this sounded like the argument of
getting too much vitamin C because you're eating oranges and lemons
instead of oranges only. I then asked, "as a snack, should I then
feed him non-prescription food instead?" and he answered, "no, the cat
should only eat prescription food." "Like the Hill's diet, for
example?" as asked. "Yes, that would be good," was his reply.

People don't seem to get the point that eating two foods with an
acidying effect should be the same as eating one food (as long as the
total quantities of food are equal). This seems like very basic
science to me. The only way that using both should increase the
acidifying effect is if I were add the Uroeze to the Hill's diet,
which I am not.

Ultimately, I think I stick with the current plan. Eating primarily
wet food will give him the liquid he needs, and the 1/2 cup of Hill's
diet at night will give him something to crunch on, which he likes.
As a 27 pound Maine Coon monster, the 1/2 cup shouldn't have that much
impact either way.

Thanks for everyone's advice!

Mark
Old November 29th 13, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Ammonium Chloride

Ammonium Chloride (NH4CI), inorganic, colorless crystal component that is soluble in water. It comes from the reaction of hydrochloric acid and ammonia. The ammonium chloride is available in best quality and used in various manufacturing industries. It is basically used in cleansing products, plywood glue, pyrotechnics, cough medicine, flavor food industries, shampoo, as electrolyte, as antispasmodic, as component in metalwork.

http://www.galvanizingchemicals.com/..._chloride.html
Old November 29th 13, 05:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spam
John Doe

Google Groups Spam...

--

Path: eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!eu.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!u s.feeder.erje.net!usenet.blueworldhosting.com!feed er01.blueworldhosting.com!peer01.iad.highwinds-media.com!npeer01.iad.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!p15no2599313qaj.0!news-out.google.com!p7ni3494qat.0!nntp.google.com!bm17n o1068729qab.0!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000go o.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 06:56:45 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Ammonium Chloride
From: ratiram.kxi gmail.com

Old December 2nd 13, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spam
cshenk

John Doe wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

Google Groups Spam...

Bozo Bin you go John. All you do is quote spam with no filtering and
seeing it once is enough. Next time use common sense. If you want to
feed the troll with a reply, trim the SPAM off first.

Carol