The ever-patient Roadcat

Old September 2nd 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

Default The ever-patient Roadcat

Nancy and I have been spending a fair bit of time up in Wisconsin as her
folks have been dealign with health issues. We have usually leaving all
the kitties at home, but last time we went up we had taken Ranger along
to give him a chance to visit.

Our most current trip was this last weekend. Friday morning Harri
Roadcat didn't seem to be feeling herself - she showed no interest at
all in her canned food in the morning, and that's definitely not usual.
We really needed to go to WI, so we decided to take Harri with us.

Once we got on the road Harri settled down quickly. She returned to her
solo Roadcat duties, dividing her time between my lap and Nancy's. We
stopped at the Cracker Barrel restaurant in Davenport, and after eating
I hooked Harri up in her harness and leash and we took a dark-walk. She
warmed up to that quite quickly. We had decided to break the drive up
into two segments so we wouldn't be so tired when we arrived. Our first
night we stopped in Rock Falls, IL.

Without getting into details, let's just say that we won't be staying
there again. Harri loved it, though! There was a kitty tunnel about 6
inches wide where the mattress extended over the mattress frame, and
with the blanket hanging down to the floor it provided an excellent
place for a little kitty girl to hide and ambush passing ankles.

When we arrived in WI we headed for the convalescent home where Nancy's
dad is currently staying. Her dad was sitting out on the porch, so we
were able to sit out in the fresh air to visit. Harri is no fonder of
strange humans than she was before, so visiting was not her favorite
part of the day. And since we were just outside the front door of the
facility, everybody who entered or left the facility walked right past
us, and most of them had to stop to pet the little kitty. Harri most
definitely most could have done without this, but she was a very
well-behaved, very patient little girl and allowed all of the residents
and visitors to do so without ever hissing or taking a swipe at anyone.
She was dealing with the crowds better than I was!

After visiting for a while we returned to the motel so that Nancy could
take a nap and I could take a nap. When I returned from my walk I saw
this cute little orange head peeking out under the room's curtains. When
Ranger had stayed with us at this motel a couple of weeks before he
stayed far away from the window - there were things and people and
vehicles moving around on the other side of the glass, and that was just
too scary for a little Ranger man to deal with. Harri had learned to
deal with those issues when she was in the truck with me, so she was
fascinated to relax in front of the window and watch everything going on
around her.

When we finally got back for the night and climbed in to bed, Harri most
definitely took advantage of the situation. She has decided that the
bedroom at home is Other Kittie's Territory - she will never come up on
the bed at home. In the motel room, though, she was up and down all
night, exploring the room and chasing bed mice and snuggling up against
Nancy and me. She figured out that being solo road cat on a trip away
from home comes with some pretty cool privileges.

On the way home we stopped at a tiny truck stop outside Dubuque for a
bathroom break and to allow Harri to stretch her legs. In the grassy
area behind the building we found a large grassy area with lots of
grasshopper and moths and other things to pounce on.

Once we got back home Harri sat patiently in the middle of the walkway
in the back yard while I opened the doors to let the other kitties out.
She made sure that she was positioned where the other kitties could see
that she was already outside, having just returned from a road trip
where she was able to visit with her adoring fans.

I do believe we're going to have to take Harri with us more often. We
all enjoyed the experience.
Old September 2nd 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Without getting into details, let's just say that we won't be staying
there again. Harri loved it, though! There was a kitty tunnel about 6
inches wide where the mattress extended over the mattress frame, and
with the blanket hanging down to the floor it provided an excellent
place for a little kitty girl to hide and ambush passing ankles.

That's where Persia hid in the hotel rooms when we made the drive from TN to
SC. She definitely wasn't playing the ambush game, though. She wanted to
be anywhere but where she was. Thank goodness she couldn't get *under* the
bed. I don't know how we'd have gotten her out.

Jill

Old September 3rd 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_4_]

"Daniel Mahoney"
[...]

Harri is a very funny, silly, loveable, precious kitty
She's probably telling the rest of your kitties all about her experiences.
LOL
Glad your trip was okay and I'll bet it's good to be back home again.
Kyla

Old September 3rd 08, 01:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Daniel Mahoney" wrote in message
Nancy and I have been spending a fair bit of time up in Wisconsin as her
folks have been dealign with health issues. We have usually leaving all
the kitties at home, but last time we went up we had taken Ranger along
to give him a chance to visit.

Our most current trip was this last weekend. Friday morning Harri
Roadcat didn't seem to be feeling herself - she showed no interest at
all in her canned food in the morning, and that's definitely not usual.
We really needed to go to WI, so we decided to take Harri with us.

I always think about taking one of the owners with us when we travel, but
none of them are that fond of the metal monster. Except Speedy, who likes
to sit between the front seats and lick the outsides of our drink bottles.
He also likes to rest his head on the arm of Rob's seat. I'm too busy to
be much fun, but Rob will love on him and discuss what is happening outside
the windows with the mup. We have his harness fastened into a seatbelt so
that he has some mobility (can sit, lay down, look out window etc) but won't
fly around the van if we have an accident. He's a great car/van rider.

It looks like Harri is your great car rider, but then she was a great semi
rider. I'm sorry about Nancy's family issues, Dan. How is her fibromyalgia
doing?

Pam S.

Old September 3rd 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

O T Mahoney puffs out his chest. Datz my girlkitty friend, what else do
you spect of her but cuteness?

Old September 3rd 08, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Daniel Mahoney wrote:
Nancy and I have been spending a fair bit of time up in Wisconsin as her
folks have been dealign with health issues. We have usually leaving all

Lots of purrs for Nancy's folks.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old September 3rd 08, 07:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Daniel Mahoney wrote:

Nancy and I have been spending a fair bit of time up in Wisconsin as her
folks have been dealign with health issues. We have usually leaving all
the kitties at home, but last time we went up we had taken Ranger along
to give him a chance to visit.

Our most current trip was this last weekend. Friday morning Harri
Roadcat didn't seem to be feeling herself - she showed no interest at
all in her canned food in the morning, and that's definitely not usual.
We really needed to go to WI, so we decided to take Harri with us.

[snip]

What a great story, thanks for posting it! She's definitely a travel-
loving cat, and it's great that you had her with you while out of town.
I always miss my gang when I go away - it would be nice to have a cute
kitty face to greet me as I come back to my motel room or other
accomodation.

Harri's a good girl, too!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old September 3rd 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

In article ,
"Granby" wrote:

O T Mahoney puffs out his chest. Datz my girlkitty friend, what else do
you spect of her but cuteness?

And don't forget courage! She was right there, watching out the window,
keeping all the greeblings and bad people at bay. And I'm sure she was
thinking of her dear OT the whole time.
Old September 3rd 08, 02:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

It looks like Harri is your great car rider, but then she was a great semi
rider. I'm sorry about Nancy's family issues, Dan. How is her fibromyalgia
doing?

Pam S.

Lousy - no change. She finally fired her doctor and is shopping for
another one. I'm really glad she made that move, as she's pretty well
doomed to keep suffering until she finds a doctor who recognizes fibro
for what it is and has some aggressive treatment ideas.

Back in SoCal she had an excellent doctor. This guy was more concerned
about your symptomology than your lab results. If your blood work said
your thyroid levels were borderline normal but your symptoms said your
thyroid was out of whack, he'd treat the symptoms. That lead to some
wonderful results. Unfortunately he's now retired, and he's in southern
CA anyway.
Old September 3rd 08, 02:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

Harri is a very funny, silly, loveable, precious kitty
She's probably telling the rest of your kitties all about her experiences.
LOL
Glad your trip was okay and I'll bet it's good to be back home again.
Kyla

More than you can imagine! This was a very difficult trip, and I was so
relieved to be home. I'm going to have to plead with the doc to refill
my anxiety med prescription before our next trip. Having to deal with
all of the additional strangers at the convalescent home had me an
absolute basket case.

But having my little Roadcat to hug when things got too much to bear was
a tremendous benefit, and I don't think she minded either. She seemed to
really enjoy having Meowmie and Paw all to herself.

US cat 'predicts patient deaths' Adrian A Cat anecdotes 2 July 27th 07 12:49 AM
The Acclimating Roadcat Dan M Cat anecdotes 15 July 21st 05 12:00 AM
What a WONDERFUL Roadcat! Dan M Cat anecdotes 26 July 1st 05 12:55 AM
Next patient badwilson Cat anecdotes 49 May 26th 05 06:47 PM
Mithu is a patient big brother Caroline S. Cat anecdotes 23 October 17th 04 10:43 PM