Lump in tail

Old February 1st 09, 08:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Clara Semps

Default Lump in tail

One of my cats has always been what we call a "happy tail." He walks
around with his tail held high... especially when eating. About 4
months ago he had a really bad time defecating. Was in a lot of pain
and I wound up rushing him to the emergency room on a weekend night.
Turned out to be just a case of constipation and Lanatone did the
trick.

About 2 momths ago we noticed a rather large lump almost at the base of
his tail. It seemed to bother him and we rushed him to the vet. The vet
said that it could be anything and to bring him back if it gets bigger
or he stops eating or anything more out of the ordinary occurs. While
he seems to be fine, the lump hasn't gotten any bigger, it's still
there but he hasn't been a "happy tail" in a long time.

Anyone have any idea of what I should do? The vet did say I could spend
a lot of time and money on x-rays, biopsies, etc. but he didn't think
it worth doing for a large, male cat over 12 or putting my cat through
the sedatives at his age. I love this big guy of mine a lot, he's a
Tuxedo Ragamuffin, 21 lbs of plushous luscious fur called Chaplin
because he has a black face and white "Charlie Chaplin" type mustache
right under that cute nose of his. I'm out of work and money is an
issue but his comfort and health is also. Should I just leave him alone
to enjoy whatever life he's got left or put him through all the tests
and procedures? As I said, other than his tail hanging low all the
time, nothing else seems to be bothering him.
Old February 1st 09, 09:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Noon Cat Nick

Clara Semps wrote:
[...]

Cats often hide illnesses until it's too late to help them. It's part of
their survival instinct, in order not to give away their compromised
health to prey or predators. This might or might not be the case here.
But it still should be looked into.

Obviously vet bills are out of your range right now. Talk to the local
animal shelters and humane societies, and find out if any of them have
vets or vet techs on staff that will examine your cat at a more
reasonable rate. Sometimes they do.
Old February 1st 09, 04:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Poe

Clara Semps wrote:
[...]

It's a tough call because it could be anything from a benign cyst to
cancer. I agree with the other poster who said try to get some reduced
cost analysis from the shelter, or call around and see if any vets could
do some basics on the cheap. Most vets have their own x-ray machines, so
they could do that. Not all vets have the ability to do lab work,
though, so any blood tests or biopsies would likely cost *something*
because they'd be sent to a 3rd party lab. Most of what they'd do
(blood, urine, even a biopsy I think) can be done with the cat awake, no
need for anesthesia.
Old February 1st 09, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Amber had a lump at the base of her tail a few years ago. The vet said
it was just a cyst and removed it. Some stitches were necessary.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old February 2nd 09, 06:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Clara Semps" wrote in message

Dump your vet. Take care of your cat.

Old February 2nd 09, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot[_2_]

I would think that he can at least do a needle biopsy with out putting under
for it. I would want it done just to rule out cancer at least. I may be
nothing more than a fatty cyst.

celeste

--
Get 600 FREE 4X6 prints and 600 FREE 5x7 prints
sign up for Artscow

Save 25% or more on your eBay® auctions
Snipe eBay Auctions with Bidnip
http://www.bidnip.com/a.php?id=39019

Old February 6th 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Clara Semps

I want to thank all of you for your input. Indeed, I think I will cut
the vet and take care of the cat. The suggestions to call the local
shelters is a great idea. Thank you all. I'll find a new vet and take
him next week. We'll see if it's something benign or more serious. Even
a cyst can be uncomfortable and not fatal so I'll see about getting it
removed.

Thanks again.
Old February 6th 09, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Clara Semps

Default Lump in tail - UPDATE

I called the shelters and they had nothing to offer other than to call
the local vets. So I started calling local vets to see their prices for
a biopsy and if they had any sliding scale available for us out of work
multitudes. I finally found one vet who offered a 10% discount for the
office visit and who's biopsy charge was less than anyone else. They
also said they'll work with me on figuring out what's wrong and how to
treat it without costing me a fortune.

So, we go to the vet tomorrow and I hope for good news.

Old February 15th 09, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Clara Semps

In article , Clara Semps
wrote:

I called the shelters and they had nothing to offer other than to call
the local vets. So I started calling local vets to see their prices for
a biopsy and if they had any sliding scale available for us out of work
multitudes. I finally found one vet who offered a 10% discount for the
office visit and who's biopsy charge was less than anyone else. They
also said they'll work with me on figuring out what's wrong and how to
treat it without costing me a fortune.

So, we go to the vet tomorrow and I hope for good news.

--

Well, I took Chaplin to the vet. The bad news is it is a tumor and most
likely malignant. The needle biopsy showed bad cells. The good news is
Old February 16th 09, 02:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

On Feb 15, 11:04*am, Clara Semps wrote:
In article , Clara Semps

wrote:
[...]

I'm sorry to hear Chaplin has a tumor. The good news is that your
kitty can probably live a long, happy life without his tale. Just
look at the Manx! I hope there's a way to find someone who will let
you make payments. I feel for your predicament. These days the
economy is horrible and we all have to tighten our belts.