Declawing A Cat

Old November 25th 05, 04:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Declawing A Cat

I know this is a topic that keeps popping up over and over again but it just
goes to you that even during the holidays people still think about declawing
their cats. Tonight at Thanksgiving dinner I was shocked to learn that a
couple of guests (they are a married couple) who I had known for years
actually have their cats declawed because they don't like their furniture
being scratched up. When I started on the don't declaw cat side, one of them
said they didn't want to get into this discussion.
I have discovered that those who have no problem with declawing a cat never
want to discuss it.
I pretty much had to hold it in so Thanksgiving dinner wouldn't be ruined
for everyone but I am amazed how people you think you know, you really don't
know. It seems that those who declaw cats really don't want to know about
the facts that state declawing is wrong and how it hurts the cat.

This seems to be why we have such wars on here about declawing. I would
never declaw a cat because furniture can be replaced and if you take simple
steps like teaching them to use a scratching post (and praising them for
doing so) as well clipping their claws and giving a firm NO (or squirting
them with water) when scratching in areas that declawing would not be
needed. I think those who declaw don't want to know the truth or simply
can't handle it. I am proud of being on the side that doesn't declaw. Cats
don't deserve such punishment. They are beautiful and wonderful creatures
and should not be harmed. Those who declaw, let's face it are comitting
animal cruelty and don't even realize it because in their mind it isn't
wrong. When will these people learn? Declawing is wrong no matter how you
slice it. Declawing a cat also results in behavioral problems with the
animal and they also have health problems as well. A declawed cat also loses
one of their main defensive mechanisms should they ever get outside.

Many animal rescue groups often speak out against declawing but it seems
many don't listen. I have yet to meet that one human believes in declawing
but that is willing to go through the procedure themselves (or one similar).
I doubt I ever will. I think those who declaw cats are nothing but cowards.
It is easy to hide behind ignorance when putting their cat through the
procedure but have they ever asked their cats if it is ok? How would humans
feel if cats just scheduled an appointment for them to have important body
parts removed so their home or furniture wouldn't be ruined? I doubt a human
would find that cool. So, for those considering declawing, read the facts.
There are so many non-harmful treatments you can try to curb bad behavior
and best of all it'd be cheaper. Enough said.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

Old November 25th 05, 05:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
I know this is a topic that keeps popping up over and over again but it
just goes to you that even during the holidays people still think about
declawing their cats. Tonight at Thanksgiving dinner I was shocked to learn
that a couple of guests (they are a married couple) who I had known for
years actually have their cats declawed because they don't like their
furniture being scratched up. When I started on the don't declaw cat side,
one of them said they didn't want to get into this discussion.
I have discovered that those who have no problem with declawing a cat
never want to discuss it.

snip

Honestly, I don't understand why people care about their furniture so damn
much. It's just stuff. I never buy expensive furniture so that way I don't
get upset if it gets ruined. If the cats scratch it or it gets stained,
hey, that's what slipcovers are for.
People want to stay uninformed so that way they don't have to feel guilty.
After I learned the truth about declawing, which I have to give credit to
this group for, I felt awful. I let Dash get declawed when I was a teenager
and I had no idea what it really was. I also blame vets for not telling
their clients the truth.

-Kelly

Old November 25th 05, 05:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Well the worst part about this was because it was Thanksgiving dinner you
can't make a scene. I was floored when she said she was taking their newest
cat to get declawed. When I asked why she would do it and that declawing was
wrong she didn't want to get into it. I got up and left and pretty much have
nothing to say to these people anymore.

Old November 25th 05, 05:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I would have opened the door and said have a good night cat abusers are
not welcome in my house
You have every right to make a scene I told my wife sister's off in front
of everyone so she would get the point of running her mouth has after
effects. Every one gave her hell for what she did she went home early

At least you know how this people are and not to associate with them if they
are that way. People real faces always come out one way or another

Old November 25th 05, 06:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Well seeing that it was at my parent's house and Thanksgiving, I just held
in most of what I wanted to say. I pretty much said that I would never
declaw a cat. I feel bad for the cat that is getting the surgery. I think in
some ways I let it be known to her that I am against declawing and that it
is cruel. You can't change someone's mind because those who declaw don't
want to hear the truth.

Old November 25th 05, 06:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

that is not true many years ago over 25 years I declawed my cats to keep
them from hurting each other I had a cat get into a fight and almost loose
an eye. My best friend now a vet was studying to be a vet took me into
what happens when a cat gets declawed I cried after I saw what happened.
Never again have I had it done. Uniformed people are willing to hear the
truth but a informed person that chooses to ignore the truth is the problem

news0xhf.14653$ih5.13895@dukeread11...

Old November 25th 05, 01:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Cat Protector wrote:

I know this is a topic that keeps popping up over and over again but it just
goes to you that even during the holidays people still think about declawing
their cats. Tonight at Thanksgiving dinner I was shocked to learn that a
couple of guests (they are a married couple) who I had known for years
actually have their cats declawed because they don't like their furniture
being scratched up. When I started on the don't declaw cat side, one of them
said they didn't want to get into this discussion.
I have discovered that those who have no problem with declawing a cat never
want to discuss it.
I pretty much had to hold it in so Thanksgiving dinner wouldn't be ruined

for everyone but I am amazed how people you think you know, you really don't
know. It seems that those who declaw cats really don't want to know about

Oh man, yes, isn't that the truth!

the facts that state declawing is wrong and how it hurts the cat.

This seems to be why we have such wars on here about declawing. I would
never declaw a cat because furniture can be replaced and if you take simple
steps like teaching them to use a scratching post (and praising them for
doing so) as well clipping their claws and giving a firm NO (or squirting
them with water) when scratching in areas that declawing would not be
needed. I think those who declaw don't want to know the truth or simply
can't handle it. I am proud of being on the side that doesn't declaw. Cats
don't deserve such punishment. They are beautiful and wonderful creatures
and should not be harmed. Those who declaw, let's face it are comitting
animal cruelty and don't even realize it because in their mind it isn't
wrong. When will these people learn?

Never is the answer, particulary in some hard core cases.

[...]

Yep, teach them early on and often what is and isn't appropriate. There
will still be inappropriate clawing but that is to be accepted when one
is owned by a cat. We don't alter a living thing to suit our own needs,
but rather we must accept them as they are. Perhaps those who cannot
accept them as should reconsider their pet choice.

Old November 25th 05, 01:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Snittens" wrote in message

[...]

They don't want to have to spend any time training the cat nor do they want
to spend the money on a good scratching post or cat tree. Maybe the cat tree
doesn't match their decor or something. They never see the problem as their
problem. The cat is the problem so they have it de-clawed. They bring the
cat home from surgery voilą! problem solved. Instant gratification.

Old November 25th 05, 02:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

No More Retail wrote:
that is not true many years ago over 25 years I declawed my cats to keep
them from hurting each other I had a cat get into a fight and almost loose
an eye. My best friend now a vet was studying to be a vet took me into
what happens when a cat gets declawed I cried after I saw what happened.
Never again have I had it done. Uniformed people are willing to hear the
truth but a informed person that chooses to ignore the truth is the problem

Some people are successful in educating others on the subject
some are not. Being understood and heard can have nothing to do with
the message
but the messenger. If someone was to jump me about declawing my cats
I would think they are extreme and have a major malfunction.
(that's me)

So sure, being right about something, does not negate the need for a
practical
effective method to educate someone.

You know, like if someone threw paint on my new Lion Fur Coat?
It would be better for them to explain where they are coming from
rather than destroy personal property.

Because there was a day, when they was wearing a coat just like mine.