There is a cat living in my garage!

Old July 31st 08, 05:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

Default There is a cat living in my garage!

And he/she hasn't paid the rent!

Well, seriously, there IS a cat living in my garage. I haven't seen it,
but I know it's there.

On Saturday, I got my car out of my garage, and it was COVERED in paw
prints, and cat hair. (mostly white, with some buff/light orange; maybe
a male?)

I thought one of my neighbors 4 cats had gotten in the garage. They are
outdoors almost all of the time, and I've seen them running out of my
garage when I close the door, if I've left it open for awhile.

BTW: I live right in the city. I keep my precious Kenzie indoors, where
it's safe. My neighbor often leaves her cats out all night long, even in
the winter. I see them huddled together, very, very late at night.
Idiot. The cats don't have licenses (required by the city). They don't
even have rabies tags (required by the state). I'm assuming no rabies
tags means no vaccinations, or any real vet care at all. But I digress.
And she's not missing a cat.

So on Saturday, I washed my car, and went over to my elderly mother's
house, to help her with the things she can't do any more for herself.

I got home after dark, and put my car in the garage.

Sunday, I didn't use my car. On Monday morning when I got my car to go
to work, it had paw prints on it again! The garage had been closed from
Saturday night, until Monday morning.

It's been HOT here. And it gets REALLY hot in the garage. There's no way
in or out, except by the main door, or the service door, which I rarely
use.

I figured that the cat, having been locked in for 36 hours, would have
run out as soon as I opened the door. That I didn't see him (I think
I'll call it a him, although of course I don't know for sure) means
nothing. Cats can be FAST, and silent.

Tuesday morning, when I got my car to go to work, there were fresh paw
prints on the windshield.

The cat was still in the garage, all night Monday. So I went and got
some tuna, and a bowl of water. I figured the cat would probably run
away while I was in the house, and the garage door was open, but then I
was wrong before about that.

Tuesday, I get home from work, and the tuna and water were undisturbed.

OK, the cat had left. At least he had not died of heat stroke in my
garage.

I threw the tuna away; it had been HOT in the garage all day. The water
was in a plastic container that margarine had come in. I left it there;
I didn't want to bring it back into my house.
Wednesday morning: all the water is gone. I'm beginning to think the cat
can walk through walls.

I even walked all around the garage. No holes.

My brother and I built the garage in 1984; it took almost the whole
summer. It's 576 square feet. My house is 650 square feet, not including
the front and back porch. The garage is huge. And in the 24 years since
it was built, is has come to be completely full of STUFF. My brother's
1974 MGB, which hasn't run in 3 years. Two motorcycles, that also don't
run. In one corner is a big pile of lumber, left from building the
garage. The joists have plywood over them, making a low ceiling 'attic'.
It full of car tires, rims, car and motorcycle parts. And more STUFF.

I tried looking for the cat, but we all know how a cat can hide in a
tiny space, remain silent, and reappear only when they WANT to. They can
do this inside an orderly, clean and neat apartment.

My garage must have a hundred hiding places I can't get to; or even see.
There are a lot of heavy or bulky things I can't move. I'm disabled.
There are heavy boxes, crates, car and motorcycle parts, and other heavy
things, everywhere.

So now it's Wednesday night. I bought a can of cat food. I put fresh
water in the bowl. I left the big garage door open 3 or 4 inches; plenty
of room for a cat to escape.

I've been home for 6 hours; there is no sign the food or water has been
touched. But I think he's still in my garage.

And now I don't know what to do.

I could try to trap the cat, if I had a trap. But even if I catch him, I
don't have the money to have him treated properly by a vet. He would
need tests for FeLeuk, FIV, FIP, and whatever else he might have caught
living on the street. He'll need to be neutered, and get vaccinations,.
That's hundreds of dollars.

I just had Kenzie's annual exam, vaccinations, and labs, and her teeth
cleaned. Tomorrow, I take her to the veterinary ophthalmologist, to have
the melanoma in her left eye checked. It's very expensive.

I checked the local no kill shelters. They are packed to the rafters
with tame kittens and cats, all of whom have been checked, vaccinated,
neutered, etc. and are waiting for homes. The shelters are full. The
people who foster cats and kittens can't take any more. Taking him to
the Humane Society is a one way trip to a 30 gallon steel drum.

I haven't even SEEN this poor cat, but I feel responsible for him. I
just can't see the way to a happy ending for him.

Ideas? I need help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

Old July 31st 08, 05:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Gandalf" wrote in message
And he/she hasn't paid the rent!

I just had Kenzie's annual exam, vaccinations, and labs, and her teeth
cleaned. Tomorrow, I take her to the veterinary ophthalmologist, to have
the melanoma in her left eye checked. It's very expensive.

I checked the local no kill shelters. They are packed to the rafters
with tame kittens and cats, all of whom have been checked, vaccinated,
neutered, etc. and are waiting for homes. The shelters are full. The
people who foster cats and kittens can't take any more. Taking him to
the Humane Society is a one way trip to a 30 gallon steel drum.

I haven't even SEEN this poor cat, but I feel responsible for him. I
just can't see the way to a happy ending for him.

Ideas? I need help.

If ever there was a reason for an emergency fund through this group, I'd say
this is it. Can you get your paws on/borrow a have a heart trap? If you
can catch it, I suspect that some of us will be willing to donate to get it
vetted and taken care of. Would you be willing to accept another owner if
Kenzie agrees?

Pam S.

Old July 31st 08, 06:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 00:40:52 -0400, "tanadashoes"
wrote:

"Gandalf" wrote in message
[...]

Kenzie WILL NOT accept another cat. She was an only cat when I got her.
I still had my very elderly Blizzard, but they NEVER even accepted each
other. Kenzie would always hiss at Blizzard, who was deaf by then.

Blizzard would try to approach Kenzie, but Kenzie would bap her, and run
away.

Blizzard was 16 years old, and the sweetest, most gentle cat you could
imagine. She walked slowly. Not a threat to Kenzie in any way.

When Blizzard went to the Bridge, Kenzie wa a MUCH happier cat.

Unfortunately.

I tried to introduce 2 other young adult cats; both males, at different
times. It didn't work, and I had to return the wonderful cats (both of
whom I had become VERY attached to) to their no kill shelter :-(

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

Old August 5th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Gandalf wrote:
And he/she hasn't paid the rent!

snip
I haven't even SEEN this poor cat, but I feel responsible for him. I
just can't see the way to a happy ending for him.

Ideas? I need help.

I hope you can get to know the kitty and that someone will be able to
give her/him a home.
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek