(OT) Help w/Thunderbird again?

Old September 5th 12, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default (OT) Help w/Thunderbird again?

I'm trying to get Thunderbird to sort ng posts the way I'm used to in
Windows Mail (and before that, Outlook Express). I'd love to use it as
my newsreader because it does quote correctly. It's irritating the heck
out of me.

I would like it to display the latest posts first, in descending date
order with followups threaded below, regardless of date or who the
poster is. Is this too much to ask? It's giving me fits. I'm not even
sure this application will even allow me to sort posts this way.

Anyone care to email me if they know how/if I can accomplish this kind
of sorting via Thunderbird? Thanks in advance.

Jill
Old September 5th 12, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

jmcquown wrote:
I'm trying to get Thunderbird to sort ng posts the way I'm used to in
Windows Mail (and before that, Outlook Express). I'd love to use it as
my newsreader because it does quote correctly. It's irritating the heck
out of me.

I would like it to display the latest posts first, in descending date
order with followups threaded below, regardless of date or who the
poster is. Is this too much to ask? It's giving me fits. I'm not even
sure this application will even allow me to sort posts this way.

Anyone care to email me if they know how/if I can accomplish this kind
of sorting via Thunderbird? Thanks in advance.

Jill

Try this: Click on the newsgroup name in the left-hand pane to select
it. Then go to the View menu and hover your mouse over the "Sort By"
option. It will expand to a sub-menu with 3 sections. I have mine set to
Date, Descending, Threaded. This keeps all messages from the same thread
grouped together under the original subject, each subject is sorted in
descending order by date (latest at the top). Replies to posts appear
under the post they are replying to, also sorted in descending order by
date.

You might also want to set View--Threads to All, so it doesn't hide the
threads you've already read and make you think you've lost all the old
posts :-)

With this configuration, I see all the subjects (threads) sorted by
date, newest at the top, and all subjects that have unread messages are
in bold. Is that more or less what you want to do?

I hope this helps. I am running a pretty old version of Thunderbird
(2.0.0.24), but hopefully newer versions haven't changed too much and
you can still sort posts in the same way...

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Old September 5th 12, 07:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
nik Simpson

On 9/5/2012 12:52 PM, Nadia N. wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

That still works in Thunderbird 15.0 which I would strongly advise you
to upgrade to. New versions of Firefox and Thunderbird are were security
holes get fixed, and 2.0 is a little on the ancient side ;-)

--
Nik Simpson
Old September 5th 12, 08:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

nik Simpson wrote:

That still works in Thunderbird 15.0 which I would strongly advise you
to upgrade to. New versions of Firefox and Thunderbird are were security
holes get fixed, and 2.0 is a little on the ancient side ;-)

Yeah, it's probably time to upgrade :-) I didn't know Thunderbird had
gotten to version 15 already. I assume they've started releasing new
versions every few months, like Firefox? I held on to FF 3.6 for as long
as I could, too. I just have this aversion to upgrading :-) Of course,
as soon as I upgraded FF I lost some of my favourite add-ons - they
hadn't been updated to work with the newer FF versions, and it doesn't
look like they ever will be. Which is one reason for my aversion to
upgrading :-)

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
Old September 6th 12, 01:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/5/2012 1:52 PM, Nadia N. wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Nadia, that helped. I still don't like Thunderbird but I'm
trying...

Jill