How much is a cat's life worth?

Old April 3rd 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default How much is a cat's life worth?

This is a story about Bom Bom.

Bom Bom is a pure-bred Devon Rex cat about a year and a half old. Despite
his young age, he has already become the father of a few litters of
beautiful kittens, two of them with my ex-wife's cat, Isis. He is such a
nice, healthy, friendly and strong cat that deserves a long life and all the
best of it.

But around this weekend it seemed that it all went wrong...

Bom Bom had been living with a family just outside Oslo (Norway) where he
had lots of space to run around in, and kids who loved him. But this spring
they moved, and they had decided that they couldn't have cats anymore. So
Bom Bom was to be replaced to another family. So far, so good. But...

When Bom Bom came into the new home, he found there were *four* queens
there! What does a healthy male cat do? He walks around through the house,
and starts spraying to mark his territory. I mean, what would you expect?
But the lady who was in charge just panicked, called the owner and said that
she could not have him in the house! "Take him back! Now!!"

So she and her co-owner, a friend of hers, took him back. Then they called
my ex to ask if she could keep him in her bathroom over the weekend, until
they got time to pick him up. Although my ex-wife lives in a small flat with
two cats, Isis (now pregnant with Bom Bom), and her father, five years old
Loomis, she agreed to take him in for the weekend. But she was suspicious...
What would happen on Monday? Her worst thoughts were confirmed through a
phone call yesterday: If they couldn't find anyone to take him, they planned
to put him down!

Obviously, there was no plan to advertise him through any rehoming
organisation or whatever, if they couldn't make more money out of him and
his litters, no one else should. Please take a look at a picture of him at
alt.binaries.pictures.animals with the subject "Bom Bom - A beautiful Devon
Rex cat".

My ex-wife decided that putting down this beautiful cat just wasn't going to
happen, so she said that she would take him anyway. And, if she should have
found it impossible, I would have done it, even though I have got much less
space, and two cats already.

The case seems to be solved, a woman in Trondheim, 500 km north of Oslo,
says she will tak him, so I think this story will get a happy ending, but
what if nobody could have taken him in? Then a healthy, happy boy would die
for no other reason than selfish thinking from the owners.

I find it disgusting!

In the meantime, Bom Bom is having a good time at my ex-wife, she let him
out of the bathroom, and Loomis immediately took care of him and wished him
welcome to his house. Loomis is a strange cat, he thinks that all cats that
comes into his house are friends, and should be treated that way, but
strange cats and dogs coming on to his lawn without an invitation, will get
a lesson they never forget! He once chased a Golden Retriever down the road,
so the dog didn't dare to come back before his owner went down to pick him
up...

--
Hans Schrøder

Old April 3rd 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-03, Hans Schrøder penned:
ending, but what if nobody could have taken him in? Then a healthy,
happy boy would die for no other reason than selfish thinking from
the owners.

I find it disgusting!

I'm sorry, but the entire time I read your post, I could think nothing
but:

Yes, hundreds of thousands of animals die this way every year, and is
exactly why I don't understand why people don't neuter their pets.
There are too many unwanted cat pregnancies to justify breeding them.

If this beautiful boy were neutered, if those queens had been spayed,
would he have been spraying?

*sigh*

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 3rd 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-03, Hans Schrøder penned:
ending, but what if nobody could have taken him in? Then a healthy,
happy boy would die for no other reason than selfish thinking from
the owners.

I find it disgusting!

I'm sorry, but the entire time I read your post, I could think nothing
but:

Yes, hundreds of thousands of animals die this way every year, and is
exactly why I don't understand why people don't neuter their pets.
There are too many unwanted cat pregnancies to justify breeding them.

If this beautiful boy were neutered, if those queens had been spayed,
would he have been spraying?

*sigh*

If he had been an outdoor cat, it would have been different. But he isn't an
outdoor cat, so he is no threat to the alley cats in the neighborhood.

Hans

Old April 3rd 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-03, Hans Schrøder penned:
ending, but what if nobody could have taken him in? Then a healthy,
happy boy would die for no other reason than selfish thinking from
the owners.

I find it disgusting!

I'm sorry, but the entire time I read your post, I could think nothing
but:

Yes, hundreds of thousands of animals die this way every year, and is
exactly why I don't understand why people don't neuter their pets.
There are too many unwanted cat pregnancies to justify breeding them.

If this beautiful boy were neutered, if those queens had been spayed,
would he have been spraying?

*sigh*

If he had been an outdoor cat, it would have been different. But he
isn't an outdoor cat, so he is no threat to the alley cats in the
neighborhood.

Hans

But still, he could be neutered and solve all difficulties including
the previous owners not wanting him to have kittens they could not
sell. It won't change him other than that he won't spray and be
territorial. Better all around, but I'm glad he found a family.

Old April 3rd 06, 06:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Hans Schrøder wrote:
[...]

Like you, this story disgusts me. It disgusts me in so many different
ways I can't even separate them all.

Not the least is the *first* family. They could have taken Bom Bom when
they moved, no? They took a beloved pet away from their children, and
taught them that pets are disposable.
I better just stop now. I'm very glad your wife took Bom Bom. He's a
lucky cat.

Sherry

Old April 3rd 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Hans Schrøder wrote:
[...]

I'm glad he has found a home or so I hope. Yes it is disgusting. But
what is just as disgusting or even more disgusting is that none of the
cats have been neutered or spayed as is appropriate. If they had been
none of this would have probably occurred. I am glad that Bom Bom wasn't
PTS because some people are stupid or at least negligent.
Old April 3rd 06, 06:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

rrb wrote:
Hans Schrøder wrote:
[...]

Appending to my own post. Note that the above doesn't apply to Bom Bom's
original owners who deserve whatever they get in live. -what goes around
comes around. I mean geez - moving then deciding they can't have cats
anymore that is the worst - almost as bad as just dumping them.
Old April 3rd 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Hans Schrøder wrote:
What would happen on Monday? Her worst thoughts were confirmed through a
phone call yesterday: If they couldn't find anyone to take him, they planned
to put him down!

I think people who think like that ought to be banned from ever owning
cats again.
I'd also beat them up personally, but that's just me.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old April 3rd 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Victor Martinez wrote:
Hans Schrøder wrote:
What would happen on Monday? Her worst thoughts were confirmed
through a phone call yesterday: If they couldn't find anyone to take
him, they planned to put him down!

I think people who think like that ought to be banned from ever owning
cats again.
I'd also beat them up personally, but that's just me.

They're probably not fit to raise children either, if that's the sort of
example they show them. :-(
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old April 3rd 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

What on earth is on people's mind when they move and don't take their pets
with them? It's not like the animal is an appliance. I don't think I'll ever
understand some people.

I'm glad that Bom Bom has found a new home. Please keep us updated.

--
Flippy in Melbourne, Australia.
Catpage: http://www.flippyscatpage.com