Yay!

Old August 4th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gracecat[_2_]

Default Yay!

I searched all morning for a mac friendly usenet reader I liked. I've
went through Nemo and a few more. I discovered Unison. So it looks like
I'm hesitantly back with easier posting access.

Gracie

Old August 5th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Gracecat" wrote in message
I searched all morning for a mac friendly usenet reader I liked. I've went
through Nemo and a few more. I discovered Unison. So it looks like I'm
hesitantly back with easier posting access.

Gracie

I've heard that Macs are *SO* much nicer than PCs, but I've never really had
a chance to use one. Bill Gates has taken over business computing so
thoroughly that I don't know a single company that uses Macs.

Chin Skritches,

CatNipped

Old August 5th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_4_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Gracecat" wrote in message
I searched all morning for a mac friendly usenet reader I liked. I've went
through Nemo and a few more. I discovered Unison. So it looks like I'm
hesitantly back with easier posting access.

Gracie

I've heard that Macs are *SO* much nicer than PCs, but I've never really
had a chance to use one. Bill Gates has taken over business computing so
thoroughly that I don't know a single company that uses Macs.

Our company has a mix. I'd like to switch because the security ops group
has started using SMS to push updates to Windows machines and I've been
forced to reboot in the middle of the day, and while updates are being
pushed my computer is useless. They can't push to Macs or Unix machines.
They even push MS Office and other garbage patches during the day and every
update causes Windows to want to reboot. It's frustrating.

Most of our Mac users have multiple VMWare images so they can boot up
Windows if they need it within a virtual session.

Old August 5th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

Cheryl wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Gracecat" wrote in message
[...]

Good Lord! Your security ops techs haven't heard about "off hours"?
Our patches get tested for a week before they're foisted on the user
community. Then they're pushed out between 0300 and 0600. Users come
in to a freshly patched and booted PC. So long as the users know and
plan accordingly (don't leave a major doc/spreadsheet/etc. open), no
harm done and everybody's happy.

Sam, supervised by Mistletoe
Old August 5th 08, 07:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Gracecat" wrote in message
I searched all morning for a mac friendly usenet reader I liked. I've went
through Nemo and a few more. I discovered Unison. So it looks like I'm
hesitantly back with easier posting access.

Gracie

It's wonderful to see you posting again, Gracie!

Joy

Old August 6th 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_4_]

"Sam" wrote in message
diainc...

Good Lord! Your security ops techs haven't heard about "off hours"? Our
patches get tested for a week before they're foisted on the user
community. Then they're pushed out between 0300 and 0600. Users come in
to a freshly patched and booted PC. So long as the users know and plan
accordingly (don't leave a major doc/spreadsheet/etc. open), no harm done
and everybody's happy.

That's the way we used to do it. But for some reason now that we're using
SMS someone thinks its ok to do it during the day. I took Domain Admins and
other security groups out of my local administrators group and when they
realize they can't patch me any more I'll tell them why. I'll patch it
myself. We don't have the luxury of waiting for testing if it takes a week
because we have a policy that says anything critical must be patched within
5 days, and sometimes 2 days depending on the severity/risk factor.
Servers, too. We mostly hold our breath during the reboots these days.
We're not fully at the virtual infrastructure model, but getting there.
That will relieve the breath-holding and finger-crossing during patching and
even give us a test environment to do a first run. Surprisingly we don't do
that now. And I work for a huge company with many agency contracts.