Our Wild Pet Is Gone

Old September 11th 03, 12:30 AM
Pat

Default Our Wild Pet Is Gone

The other day Gloria came over to help me move a desk. Her 4 dogs always
follow along and wait in the yard while she visits. When she was leaving I
walked with her to the gate, where we saw her dog Abram shaking the little
skunk that's been coming in my house.

Well of course Abram got scent-sprayed and left his job undone, so Gloria
finished the little guy off with an axe as he appeared to be suffering.

I didn't have the heart to go right out and bury him, so I held off for an
hour or so. Meanwhile Tommy found out and came to me, visibly upset. I think
he had made friends with the skunk. I know Abelard had, so I kept him in the
house.

When I went out to dig the grave, I found the buzzards had already taken
care of it. I was very sad for the next couple of days. That little skunk
had never done any of us a lick of harm, he just hung around and kept to
himself, and occasionally came to the door asking for a treat.

Old September 11th 03, 05:43 AM
Takayuki

"Pat" wrote:

I didn't have the heart to go right out and bury him, so I held off for an
hour or so. Meanwhile Tommy found out and came to me, visibly upset. I think
he had made friends with the skunk. I know Abelard had, so I kept him in the
house.

When I went out to dig the grave, I found the buzzards had already taken
care of it. I was very sad for the next couple of days. That little skunk
had never done any of us a lick of harm, he just hung around and kept to
himself, and occasionally came to the door asking for a treat.

Oh, no! Poor little skunk, and what a traumatic experience for
everyone!

Old September 11th 03, 05:46 AM
Marina

"Pat" wrote

Well of course Abram got scent-sprayed and left his job undone, so Gloria
finished the little guy off with an axe as he appeared to be suffering.

I'm so sorry, Pat, but that was surely the best thing to do for the poor
little skunk. Many purrs to ease your and the cats' sadness.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old September 11th 03, 10:48 AM

That's so sad, I'm sorry it happened to your little friend! Purrs
for you, Tommy, Abelard, and the little skunk. And for Gloria too,
bless her! I don't know if I would've had the heart to do that,
even knowing it was the right thing.

Hugs,
Joyce
Old September 11th 03, 11:44 AM
polonca12000

That is so sad! I'm very sorry for your loss.
Hugs and purrs,
--
Polonca & Soncek

snipWhen she was leaving I

Old September 12th 03, 02:49 AM
LOL

"Pat" wrote in message ...
[...]

I am so sorry to read this - what a shame. We will light a candle for
the little skunk, and are sending purrs to you and your kitties.
------
Krista
Old September 12th 03, 05:43 AM
Arthur Shapiro

In article , "Pat" wrote:
we saw her dog Abram shaking the little
skunk that's been coming in my house.

That's a terribly sad story; please accept my sympathies. There's something
so rewarding about giving a safe haven to a wild creature. I am always so
happy when the possums show up each night to enjoy some of the cats' rejected
food; I'm sure you felt the same way about your little skunk friend.

Art

Art
Temporary usercode - to be deleted when spam starts. Use MyBrainHurts at this ISP to reach me
Old September 13th 03, 05:35 AM
Pat

Just about every time I read messages in this group I come across something
so very sad. Every time something tragic happens it brings back the memories
of all the beautiful animals I have lost. I occasionally have dreams in
which I am with all the cats and other animals who've shared my life in the
past. Someday I will post photos of ALL of them online along with
descriptions. Sort of like a "virtual pet cemetary" or memorial.