Formula for hand-raising kittens

Old September 15th 03, 07:10 PM
Pat

Default Formula for hand-raising kittens

Just in case anyone else ends up hand-raising a baby kitty I thought I
should post the recipe for the baby-kitty formula I have always used. I
believe it is superior to the stuff you find at pet stores.

To each 12-ounce can of unsweetened evaporated goat's milk, add one VERY
well beaten egg (preferably a fertile one), a rounded tablespoon of
nutritional yeast flakes and the same amount of unpasteurized yogurt, then
beat this mixture with a whisk or eggbeater until it's very smooth, and then
thin it with just enough water (hold the chlorine, please!) to make it the
consistency of cream.

They LOVE this stuff, and thrive on it. As they get older you can thin it
out a little, and eventually teach them to lap it out of a dish. Start by
letting them lick it off your fingers.

Does anyone else have a meowbaby formula to share?

Old September 15th 03, 08:14 PM
CK

Pat wrote:
To each 12-ounce can of unsweetened evaporated goat's milk, add one VERY
well beaten egg (preferably a fertile one), a rounded tablespoon of

snip

Not that I raise baby kitties, but isn't raw egg white supposed to be
bad for cats, destroys taurine...??

Here's one of my fave sites on cat care with info on kitten ca
http://www.maxshouse.com/kitten_care...born%20Kittens
There the yolk (yolk only, not eggwhite) is cooked over steam while
stirring.

Not being an expert on cat nutrition, it is sometimes confusing to get
one kind of info from one place and another kind from another place...

Christine in Vantaa, Finland (Europe)
Email: christal63(at)yahoo(dot)com
Photos: http://photos.yahoo.com/christal63

Old September 15th 03, 08:14 PM
Mary

Does anyone else have a meowbaby formula to share?

This is for puppies and squirrels. I don't use it with squirrels but others
have and their babies are fat, healthy and happy. It sounds similar to your cat
recipe.
1 cup goats milk
1 raw egg yolk organic free range
1 tsp raw honey
1 tsp powdered collostrum
Old September 15th 03, 08:15 PM
OU812?

Pat wrote:
Just in case anyone else ends up hand-raising a baby kitty I thought I
should post the recipe for the baby-kitty formula I have always used.
I believe it is superior to the stuff you find at pet stores.

To each 12-ounce can of unsweetened evaporated goat's milk, add one
VERY well beaten egg (preferably a fertile one), a rounded tablespoon
of nutritional yeast flakes and the same amount of unpasteurized
yogurt, then beat this mixture with a whisk or eggbeater until it's
very smooth, and then thin it with just enough water (hold the
chlorine, please!) to make it the consistency of cream.

They LOVE this stuff, and thrive on it. As they get older you can
thin it out a little, and eventually teach them to lap it out of a
dish. Start by letting them lick it off your fingers.

Does anyone else have a meowbaby formula to share?

That one sounds about the same as the one the vet gave me, except the canned
goat's milk. You can't get that here.. just regular canned evaporated cows
milk (ala Carnation or no-name brands)

Thanks for the info, i'm sure it will be well used!

Kristy
--
The older you get, the tougher it is to lose weight,
because by then your body and your fat are really good friends.

Old September 15th 03, 09:01 PM
Pat

I never heard that, but if you are concerned, just use the yolk. I will
research it and post my findings too.