Cat Vomiting - please help

Old November 13th 04, 06:30 PM
Mary

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Mary, they may not "chew" dry food but they sure do break it up. I can
hear Amber doing this.

Good point. They do crunch, as I hear Cheeks doing this
too. However--when I clean up the kitty puke most chunks are intact.

Old November 13th 04, 07:34 PM
---MIKE---

Going back to my first response to Carol.-- try canned food AND have
the vet check his teeth to see if a tooth problem is causing him to
swallow the food whole instead of breaking it up first. When you buy
the canned food, don't get the type containing pieces of meat. Wellness
makes a nice, smooth, chicken food which my cats like.

---MIKE---

Old November 13th 04, 08:01 PM
Barb

Definitely I would try canned food. I have been using Wellness and the cats
love it. My young cat threw up some furballs and then was throwing up every
day. I stopped the interactive toy play I had been doing after she ate. We
do that now before she eats. I feed all the cats 2 times a day and give
just a tiny snack at dinner. I have now been giving that young cat a little
at a time so she doesn't wolf it down. It really doesn't take long. I
believe the canned food is easier especially for my 13 and 14 year olds,
easier on the teeth and the digestion and even the bladder because they get
more liquid with it.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old November 14th 04, 12:06 AM
Carol

To those of you who responded, thank you. I will try Science Diet
canned food. Luckily my (fat) cat loves any cat food.

As far as the vet goes - did you miss the part about my husband just
having surgery? Don't know if you've ever experienced this but every
waking moment is spoken for right now - I even have to help him bathe.
If the cat wasn't practically chewing my ankle off I'd probably
forget to feed him.

I love my cat but my husband comes first.

(Carol) wrote in message . com...
I have a 13 1/2 year old male tabby. About four months ago he started
to vomit usually, but not always shortly after eating. Since I only
feed him once a day that meant he threw up all his food for the day.
Right after that he'd be begging for food. I took him to the vet who
examined him and said he appeared to be just fine. He suggested it
was probably a hair ball and told me to give him hair ball remedy
twice a day for a couple of weeks. I did but that didn't help too
much. I tried feeding him very small portions many times daily. I
even tried tossing the food on the rug to force him to eat slowly.
Nothing really helped. Eventually the vomiting stopped on it's own in
a few weeks.

After having no problems for about two months he's started again. He
threw up his dinner yesterday morning and this morning. I feed him at
8 pm at night but when he threw up it was clearly his entire meal.
Since he sleeps right after eating for the rest of the night I'm not
sure if having the whole meal still in his stomach is unusual or not.

This morning he not only threw up the meal but continued throwing up
for about 15 minutes. He threw up 18 times in all. He has NEVER done
that before. About 15 minutes later he was begging for food.

Here's my problem: my husband just had heart bypass surgery. I am
barely able to cope with what I need to do for him. I cannot take the
cat to the vet and start with tests, special treatments,etc. In fact
I can't take him at all. If he doesn't improve I may have to have him
put down since I cannot allow the cat to interfere with what I need to
do for my husband. There is nobody else that can help me with the cat
or my husband.

I love my cat and don't want to lose him. I was wondering if I should
change his food? I give him Science Diet Feline Light Maintenance
(1/2 cup daily). This has been his diet for the past 12 years and he
has thrived until now. Is canned food easier to digest? I just don't
know what to do.

Don't know if this is related but a few days before this all started
four months ago he ate a mouse. He caught it in the kitchen, ate it
and threw it up, along with his food all over the house. It looked
like a mini autopsy on my living room floor. The vet didn't think it
was related.

He is an indoor cat and has no contact whatsoever with other animals.

Old November 14th 04, 02:20 AM
Mary

"Carol" wrote :
If the cat wasn't practically chewing my ankle off I'd probably
forget to feed him.

I love my cat but my husband comes first.

If you are unwilling or unable to feed this animal
twice a day, you might want to think about giving
him to someone who can do that much for him.

Old November 14th 04, 02:34 AM
Brimsley

(Carol) wrote in message . com...
[...]

You didn't mention whether the vet did blood tests when you took him
in the first time this started. There are a variety of ailments that
could cause vomiting like this, especially in older cats, and it's
necessary to do blood tests to narrow down the possible causes.
Sometimes they vomit when their food is switched, but that obviously
isn't the case here. Some cats are just prone to throwing up, but the
ones I've seen who are that way have been that way their entire life.

Canned food might help. If not, I urge you to at least make a few
calls to see if it's possible to rehome your cat rather than have it
euthanized. It's a fact of life that sometimes people find themselves
in situations where they just can't care for their cat anymore; some
shelters take cats in that situation; some vets are also aware of
possible new homes. I really hope things work out; it's obviously a
difficult situation for you to be in.
Old November 14th 04, 08:03 AM
Phil P.

"Carol" wrote in message
om...

As far as the vet goes - did you miss the part about my husband just
having surgery? Don't know if you've ever experienced this but every
waking moment is spoken for right now -

Sleep 1-2 hours less one day and take your cat to a vet for x-rays. I'm
sure your husband will survive 1-2 hours without you. If his condition is
so serious that he cannot, he should be in a hospital.

Your cat has entrusted his life to you; his health and welfare are your
obligation and responsibility. Don't betray the trust your cat has placed
in you. Make time; take him to a vet.

Old November 14th 04, 01:05 PM
Carol

I am trying a new feeding schedule of three small portions a day. If
that doesn't work I'll try canned food. So far he's been fine for the
past 24 hours.

Believe me I love this cat. He is a wonderful, gentle, loving animal
and I'll do everything I can for him.

He's clearly not sick. It may be that he's getting older and simply
cannot continue on the same feeding routine.

Old November 14th 04, 01:08 PM
Carol

Yes, the vet did blood and fecal tests. Everything was fine.

He's been fine for the past 24 hours. I'm going to try and feed him
three small meals a day. If that doesn't work I'll try canned food.

If I have to clean up vomit every day, so be it. As long as he
eventually keeps down enough to be healthy and happy I'm more than
willing to do that.

Thanks