Things to apply to one's back, and not to apply

Old April 10th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Things to apply to one's back, and not to apply

On 2006-04-09, Howard C. Berkowitz penned:
As I may have mentioned, the bed got shipped off yesterday, so I
made a nest on the floor of several quilts on top of an exercise
mat. Not too bad. The cats find it fascinating to have me on their
level.This morning, I woke up with a sore lower back, probably from
unusual and awkward lifting while loading the trailer yesterday.
You don't think it might be because you were sleeping on an unfamiliar
surface (to wit, the floor)?

I don't think so. Unfortunately, in trying to pack books, I was lifting
at a very bad angle and felt it in the lower back.
What is it about people packing books that compels them to pack first
the books that interest them, as opposed to the books that are
critical? I have boxes and boxes of fiction, history and cookbooks on
the trailer, which are all valued -- but only about a third of my
professional books.
Your description of the parade running across you was hilarious!
A parade it was. Everything but elephants; Mr. Clark, when not looking
like a Buddhist abbot, looks a bit like a lion(ess).

Regards to Mr. Clark & co. who sound like they're coping better w/the
stress than you are! I'm sincerely glad things look better for you, Howard,
at this point, financially and overall; your expertise and dedication to
help
posters of this ng have been appreciated bigtime for a long while.
A suggestion (probably too late): if I had tried to sort all my books
while packing up the house to move cross-country, instead of putting
them in general stacks, discarding duplicates....I'd still be back in
Sunshine State, having enjoyed all the subsequent 'canes and resultant
messes/damage to my property there! You sound like you kinda have
the mind of an engineer-type fellow....deadly when you're in a hurry.
Best wishes for everything and try to loosen up the packing criteria;
if you still have access to a bathtub a hot soak may help low back pain.
If you got any Rx NSAIDS even better.

I recommend liquor-store boxes for books. Since they are made for
holding something dense, namely bottles of booze, they tend to be made
of sturdy cardboard and be a size that isn't too heavy to lift when
filled with books. On the down-side, if too many of your boxes are of
the liquor-store variety, your new neighbors may conclude that you
drink like a fish, as the old cliche' says.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old April 10th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

In article , dnr
wrote:

On 2006-04-09, Howard C. Berkowitz penned:
[...]

Actually, my back pain is pretty much gone; I'm pretty sure it was
overexertion. Had I thought about it, I would have included more lower
back in my workouts.

I took some acetaminophen, but then luckily found an almost but not
quite empty tube of capsaicin cream. Capsaicin (the active ingredient
in chile peppers) is usually the best thing for me if I have a moderate
muscle pain. It has a variety of actions against pain, and, while the
most important medical use is for chronic pain, it often will relieve
an ache with one or two applications.

Everything remains in the air about the latter parts of the move. The
trailerload did get delivered to St. Louis today, and both my hostess
and a couple of colleagues of my partner are thinking of at least
virtually shaking him to get his attention. It was pretty unanimous
that while I'm still doing work, and under the stress, I really need
some laborers and at least one person to manage the process. There's a
certain amount of my needing to co-manage the company to be sure the
funds get created.
Old April 10th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-09, Howard C. Berkowitz penned:
[...]

It's not cheap, but I've been buying folded boxes of many standardized
sizes at U-Haul.
Old April 10th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote in message
In article , Monique Y.
Mudama wrote:

On 2006-04-09, Howard C. Berkowitz penned:
[...]

Howard, don't know if this will help you re packing boxes for books but as
I'm a part-time book merchandiser for Levy Home Entertainment...we have
accounts in K-Mart, Toys R Us, Babies R Us, and Target and if you can get
hold of those boxes it could really be useful for you. Our boxes have thin
blue-green vertical stripes on the sides. We have to be in the stores on
Tuesdays as that's when the new releases come out, so maybe you can try and
get some tomorrow from the vendors. I always have people coming up to me
while I'm working and asking me if they can have some boxes. Hope this is
of some use.
Christine
P.S. Loved this post but be careful of your back!!!