Cats and Music

Old April 8th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Cats and Music

What types of music do your cats like? I just purchased Cusco's
Apurimac III album, and started playing it. The first song is called
Ghost Dance, and when it came on my cats got all puffy and alarmed (it
has heavy drum beats), and ran upstairs. They soon came down with ears
swiveling, and figured that it wasn't going to bite them. Jake was
sitting on the stairs, and suddenly started bouncing from stair to
stair, in perfect time to the beats. It was so funny! Kiara liked the
3rd song - she just had to chase her fluffy tail and bit it into
submission. Maus (RB) and Dweazel (RB) used to love Fleetwood Mac's
Tusk, and would come running whenever I played it. I used to pat their
backs in time with the drums, and they would dig their claws into the
carpet. Silly boys!

Patti
Old April 8th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-08 07:52:13 -0700, Mishi said:

What types of music do your cats like? I just purchased Cusco's
Apurimac III album, and started playing it. The first song is called
Ghost Dance, and when it came on my cats got all puffy and alarmed (it
has heavy drum beats), and ran upstairs. They soon came down with ears
swiveling, and figured that it wasn't going to bite them.

snip

My husband and I were just talking about this. Our old kitty
Tigger(RB) used to go NUTS whenever "Panama Red" by the New Riders of
the Purple Sage would play (Gordon thinks it was the steel guitar
sound). She'd lash her tail, the ears would go flat, eyes would go wide
and she'd hold on to the carpet with all four sets of claws. The
current pair don't seem to react to music in the same way.

Katrina

Old April 8th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Mishi wrote:
What types of music do your cats like?

Persia pays no attention to any music aside from the sound of outside birds
chirping. She pays no attention at all to my (indoors) lovebird, Peaches.
She likes things that crackle, like paper bags or (more recently) her
crackle sack that I got at PetCo. She's all over that thing! Crackle,
crackle, crackle!

Jill

Old April 8th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Mishi wrote:

What types of music do your cats like?

Smudge is the one who notices music. One time a co-band member of mine
came over with a tape he had made of himself playing slow, very mellow
electric guitar chords, with a friend of his playing flute. We were
listening to it in my living room, and Smudge came in, sat down in the
middle of the floor, closed her eyes, and swayed gently. I swear, she
was grooving to that thing!! She went into a trance! The band member let
me make a copy of the tape, but I haven't been able to find it. I want
to play it for her again, she obviously loved it!

When I sing, though, she always looks alarmed, concerned for my health
and safety, or else she just glares at me. Sheesh. I might not be the
world's best singer, but I like to think my voice is at least pleasant
to listen to.

Joyce
Old April 8th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Mishi wrote:

What types of music do your cats like?

I suspect anyone's cats "like" whatever music their people
listen to. Mine seldom hear any but classical (except
whatever is used by the TV programs I watch). They don't
run out of the room when the Saturday Met broadcasts are on,
although they've been known to do so when exposed to some of
the stuff from the TV (usually the sort of super-loud pop
stuff I find unpleasant, too).

I just purchased Cusco's
Apurimac III album,

Gee, there WAS a time when I at least RECOGNIZED the names
of pop musicians!

Old April 8th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 11:54:47 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
yodeled:

Mishi wrote:

What types of music do your cats like?

I suspect anyone's cats "like" whatever music their people
listen to. Mine seldom hear any but classical (except
whatever is used by the TV programs I watch). They don't
run out of the room when the Saturday Met broadcasts are on,
although they've been known to do so when exposed to some of
the stuff from the TV (usually the sort of super-loud pop
stuff I find unpleasant, too).

My little Mimi sat on the sofa with me all through the Ring Cycle when
it was put on TV several years ago. Of course, she slept through some
of it.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old April 8th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 11:59:49 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
yodeled:

wrote:

Mishi wrote:

What types of music do your cats like?

Smudge is the one who notices music. One time a co-band member of mine
came over with a tape he had made of himself playing slow, very mellow
electric guitar chords, with a friend of his playing flute. We were
listening to it in my living room, and Smudge came in, sat down in the
middle of the floor, closed her eyes, and swayed gently. I swear, she
was grooving to that thing!! She went into a trance! The band member let
me make a copy of the tape, but I haven't been able to find it. I want
to play it for her again, she obviously loved it!

When I sing, though, she always looks alarmed, concerned for my health
and safety, or else she just glares at me. Sheesh. I might not be the
world's best singer, but I like to think my voice is at least pleasant
to listen to.

Most of my cats never paid much attention when I sang, but
Tigrita used to confront me face-to-face and meow loudly,
whenever I began vocalizing. (I could never quite figure out
whether she was complaining, or trying to train HER voice, too!)

Stinky really likes my singing (not my attempts at cat noises, as
noted before). I find this very amusing. He even likes very, very bad
singing. It seems to fascinate him. Dante, OTOH, gets that very
worried expression that a lot of people have reported from their cats.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old April 8th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:

Mishi wrote:

What types of music do your cats like?

I suspect anyone's cats "like" whatever music their people
listen to. Mine seldom hear any but classical (except
whatever is used by the TV programs I watch). They don't
run out of the room when the Saturday Met broadcasts are on,
although they've been known to do so when exposed to some of
the stuff from the TV (usually the sort of super-loud pop
stuff I find unpleasant, too).

I just purchased Cusco's
Apurimac III album,

Gee, there WAS a time when I at least RECOGNIZED the names
of pop musicians!

LOL! It isn't pop music, it is more New Age. Guitar, Drum, pan flute
(peruvian), cello, etc. You can listen to them on this website:
http://www.google.com/musicl?lid=cEp...id=3KPrZIIF7IP . I
haven't tried it with Firefox, however. Just IE 6.

Patti
Old April 9th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Mishi wrote:
What types of music do your cats like? I just purchased Cusco's
Apurimac III album, and started playing it. The first song is called
Ghost Dance, and when it came on my cats got all puffy and alarmed (it
has heavy drum beats), and ran upstairs. They soon came down with ears
swiveling, and figured that it wasn't going to bite them. Jake was
sitting on the stairs, and suddenly started bouncing from stair to
stair, in perfect time to the beats. It was so funny! Kiara liked the
3rd song - she just had to chase her fluffy tail and bit it into
submission. Maus (RB) and Dweazel (RB) used to love Fleetwood Mac's
Tusk, and would come running whenever I played it. I used to pat their
backs in time with the drums, and they would dig their claws into the
carpet. Silly boys!

Patti

Mine love Andrea Bocelli. I swear they do.
I usually always have a radio on. The other day it was a little loud,
and on an oldies station....do you remember the Osmond's "Crazy
Horses"? That came on, and five cats went running out of the room. The
intro music, that funky squealing noise must have hurt their ears. Or
they just hate the Osmonds. Could be either.

Sherry