Changing Food

Old August 7th 08, 04:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Changing Food

Persia's vet in TN faxed her records to her "new" vet here in SC. This vet
was recommended by the neighbor who has the two black kitties. They do
boarding (hopefully not needed any time soon!) and after hours emergency
care... otherwise I'd have to drive all the way to Savannah, Georgia. Not
an appealing prospect in the event of an emergency.

Hill's Prescription Diet has discontinued their x/d formula. It's being
replaced with c/d. The new vet's office is ordering some for Persia. Now,
Persia loves her x/d kibble. She'd chow down on it all day long if I let
her! (She only gets 1/2 cup a day total and she's *still* a big girl!) I'm
a little concerned she might not take to the c/d. Anyone else have a cat
that eats prescription c/d? Any comments or experiences to share?

She never liked the canned x/d. It's not Fancy Feast! LOL But this clinic
will sell me the c/d by the can (rather than the case) so I asked them to
order some of that, too, so I can buy a couple of cans (chicken) and try it
out. Maybe I can get her to eat a combo of wet & dry.

What kills me is the c/d comes in up to 20 lb. bags. Remember when I won
the year's supply of food? The biggest bag I could get in the x/d was 4
lbs. The coupons were good for bags up to 25 lbs! Oh well, it was free. I
should be so lucky again

Jill

Old August 8th 08, 05:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Aug 7, 11:52*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
Persia's vet in TN faxed her records to her "new" vet here in SC. *This vet
was recommended by the neighbor who has the two black kitties. *They do
boarding (hopefully not needed any time soon!) and after hours emergency
care... otherwise I'd have to drive all the way to Savannah, Georgia. *

snip

Jill

Speaking of places that have boarding.....how is Peaches doing?
Do you have plans to bring her with you or will she stay boarded
for a while?

Debbie
Old August 8th 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Aug 7, 11:52*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
Persia's vet in TN faxed her records to her "new" vet here in SC. *This vet
was recommended by the neighbor who has the two black kitties. *They do
boarding (hopefully not needed any time soon!) and after hours emergency
care... otherwise I'd have to drive all the way to Savannah, Georgia. *Not
an appealing prospect in the event of an emergency.

Hill's Prescription Diet has discontinued their x/d formula. *It's being
replaced with c/d. *The new vet's office is ordering some for Persia. *Now,
Persia loves her x/d kibble. *She'd chow down on it all day long if I let
her! *(She only gets 1/2 cup a day total and she's *still* a big girl!) *I'm
a little concerned she might not take to the c/d. *Anyone else have a cat
that eats prescription c/d? *Any comments or experiences to share?

Rusty was on C/D for about a year or two when he first had urinary
blockage.
He ate it with no complaint. I heard some cats don't like C/D, but not
Rusty.
I vaguely recall TED warning me to watch Rusty didn't gain too much
weight on this
food. Or it could be another prescription food as Rusty had been on so
many
different ones.
But I controlled his portion size and Rusty never had a problem with
weight. In fact,
he has always been on the skinny side.

Canned C/D may be better than the dry. It will give Persia more fluid.
Most cats don't
drink enough and Rusty is one of them. A 25 lb bag of dry food may go
stale fast.

Winnie

Old August 9th 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Winnie wrote:
On Aug 7, 11:52 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
Hill's Prescription Diet has discontinued their x/d formula. It's
being replaced with c/d. The new vet's office is ordering some for
Persia. Now, Persia loves her x/d kibble. She'd chow down on it all
day long if I let her! (She only gets 1/2 cup a day total and she's
*still* a big girl!) I'm a little concerned she might not take to
the c/d. Anyone else have a cat that eats prescription c/d? Any
comments or experiences to share?

I vaguely recall TED warning me to watch Rusty didn't gain too much
weight on this
food.

Persia's already overweight, hence only getting 1/2 cup total per day. She
hasn't been free-fed in years.

Canned C/D may be better than the dry. It will give Persia more fluid.
Most cats don't
drink enough and Rusty is one of them. A 25 lb bag of dry food may go
stale fast.

Winnie

She drinks plenty of water She loves her Drinkwell fountain! But the
common perception seems to be a combination of wet/dry is best so if I can
get her to eat both it would be ideal.

I couldn't lift a 20 lb. bag of food! I ordered the 10 lb. bag for economic
reasons. Hopefully it will have the same zip-lock seal the 4 lb. bag has.

Jill

Old August 9th 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Aug 9, 8:54*am, "jmcquown" wrote:

Persia's already overweight, hence only getting 1/2 cup total per day. *She
hasn't been free-fed in years.

Come to think of it. C/D was reformulated after Rusty was on that
food. So it may
not as fattening as previously.

She drinks plenty of water *She loves her Drinkwell fountain! *But the
common perception seems to be a combination of wet/dry is best so if I can
get her to eat both it would be ideal.

Rusty may have to go on dry Gastro food becuase of his GI problem.
They haven't
come out with canned Gastro yet. TED put Rusty on a canned only diet
after his
second urinary blockage.
I may have not enforce Rusty's water intake by using giving him water
with a syringe to the mouth. My mom's cat enjoyed that. I am too cheap
to buy a Drinkwell for Rusty. Another option is to mix the dry food
with some water like I am doing with the canned food.

I couldn't lift a 20 lb. bag of food! I ordered the 10 lb. bag for economic
reasons. *Hopefully it will have the same zip-lock seal the 4 lb. bag has.

Jill

They sell all these heavy bags of food and litter for cats. Once I
tossed a 40lb bag
of cat litter onto my shopping cart and dented it. Now I only buy 7kg
jug of cat
litter. They are still heavy to haul around as I don't have a
car. Even a case of 24 cans of food is no lightweight for me to walk
home with.
On the positive side, I am getting some weight bearing exercises
hauling things home
for Rusy.

Winnie

OT - Changing My Sign-off CatNipped[_2_] Cat anecdotes 23 August 2nd 08 09:52 PM
Cat changing color allout Cats - misc 0 August 10th 05 06:35 AM
changing food question Justin L Cat health & behaviour 3 January 28th 05 07:12 AM
Changing to a new litterbox ~*Connie*~ Cat health & behaviour 5 December 3rd 04 12:52 AM