Pet Friendly Pesticides?

Old August 20th 08, 03:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Pet Friendly Pesticides?

I can't recall if I asked about this already. I don't know what the woman
who sprays Mom's house uses but it can't be good for pets. She was here in
April, spraying everywhere (even in closets!). Every few days I find bug
corpses. Seems like they die within hours of coming inside. Whatever this
stuff is it's still potent. If I didn't know better I'd think DDT...

I told her then I'd be bringing Persia (and possibly Peaches) back with me.
I said I was very concerned about the pesticides she uses. She seemed
puzzled by this. Unlike the "tax woman" Mom was using, she does do this for
a living; it's not a sideline. Surely this isn't the first time she's been
asked about this by a pet owner?!

Based on the bug carcasses I keep finding (mostly small beetles, spiders and
the occasional disgusting Palmetto bug) not spraying isn't an option.
Doesn't seem just spraying around the doors and windows outside would be
sufficient, either, since she does that too and they still get inside.

When I was back home UPS delivered a package. I have a sign on the door of
my apartment: "No spraying inside, I have a cat and a bird". The man who
delivered the package said, "Deciduous earth." Huh? He said pets can roll
around in it, even eat it, and it won't hurt them. Googling nets a few old
testimonials to this effect but no further information. What is it? Where
would I get it? Is it mixed with water and sprayed? Can't have anything
powdery sprinkled all over the place.

Most articles relating to pet friendly pesticides refer to lawns and
gardens, not indoor treatments. Any suggestions?

Jill

Old August 20th 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 10:13:24 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

[...]

It's actually "diatomaceous earth" (or something similar - I probably
mispelled that). It's the stuff (lots of microscopic diatom shells) that
gets put into pool filters as a filtering medium. Completely non-toxic,
handles bugs by virtues of many micro-pointy edges (broken calcium-based
shells).

Old August 20th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I have an exterminator who comes every three months. I live in East Texas,
and bugs of all sorts and sizes really *thrive* here. The exterminator I
use is very careful. He uses pyrethroids inside the house, and he does
*not* simply spray it around. He dusts carefully in crevices and areas that
the cats cannot reach. He uses a more potent insecticide outside -- around
the doors and windows, as you said, but also all around the perimeter of the
house. I seldom see an insect inside the house.

If the woman your mother has been using seemed "puzzled" by your question,
it's probably time to look around for someone else. Professional
exterminators have known about the need to be careful around pets (and
different preparations to use) for many years.

MaryL

Old August 20th 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

It's actually "diatomaceous earth" (or something similar - I probably
mispelled that). It's the stuff (lots of microscopic diatom shells) that
gets put into pool filters as a filtering medium. Completely non-toxic,
handles bugs by virtues of many micro-pointy edges (broken calcium-based
shells).

Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

Says it's even used as cat litter. That's a new one on me!

Dan
Old August 20th 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Yeah, that threw me, too. She's not a young woman, she owns the business
and has for years. Thanks for your information!

Jill

Old August 20th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:54:37 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

I have an exterminator who comes every three months. I live in East Texas,
and bugs of all sorts and sizes really *thrive* here. The exterminator I
use is very careful. He uses pyrethroids inside the house, and he does
*not* simply spray it around. He dusts carefully in crevices and areas that
the cats cannot reach. He uses a more potent insecticide outside -- around
the doors and windows, as you said, but also all around the perimeter of the
house. I seldom see an insect inside the house.

If the woman your mother has been using seemed "puzzled" by your question,
it's probably time to look around for someone else. Professional
exterminators have known about the need to be careful around pets (and
different preparations to use) for many years.

Our pest controller uses pyrethrum too... and I think there's borax in
there as well - both of which are totally harmless to animals and
people. It was the first thing I asked them about the first time they
came around to spray after we got the kitties... they spray in the
corners and put cockroach bait traps in the closets but she said it
doesn't matter that the cats like to drag them out, bat them around
and chew on them! The stuff only kills insects, not mammals...
Old August 20th 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I've found that pure citrus (it comes in a spray can) sprayed around windows
and doors (and any other openings like around pipes) keeps pests out and the
clowder could lick it if they want with no harmful results.

Chin Skritches,

CatNipped

Old August 20th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

MaryL wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I'm confused - is the woman a professional exterminator, or just a
cleaning person who also sprays for bugs? If she's an exterminator, I'd
second MaryL's advice. However, if she's your mom's cleaning lady, and
is otherwise satisfactory, replacing her might not win you any thanks
from your mother!
Old August 20th 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
MaryL wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

I told her then I'd be bringing Persia (and possibly Peaches) back
with me. I said I was very concerned about the pesticides she uses.
She seemed puzzled by this. Unlike the "tax woman" Mom was using,
she does do this for a living; it's not a sideline. Surely this
isn't the first time she's been asked about this by a pet owner?!

If the woman your mother has been using seemed "puzzled" by your
question, it's probably time to look around for someone else.

I'm confused - is the woman a professional exterminator, or just a
cleaning person who also sprays for bugs? If she's an exterminator,
I'd second MaryL's advice. However, if she's your mom's cleaning
lady, and is otherwise satisfactory, replacing her might not win you
any thanks from your mother!

I'm the only cleaning person around here! That's why her reaction confused
me. She owns a pest control company . Doesn't make any sense to think she
doesn't have any customers with pets.

Jill

Old August 21st 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_4_]

"Daniel Mahoney" wrote in message
news
It's actually "diatomaceous earth" (or something similar - I probably
mispelled that). It's the stuff (lots of microscopic diatom shells) that
gets put into pool filters as a filtering medium. Completely non-toxic,
handles bugs by virtues of many micro-pointy edges (broken calcium-based
shells).

Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

Says it's even used as cat litter. That's a new one on me!

Dan

But it is powdery. I use it outside for my ant problem. You can mix it
with water and spray it, but wet it isn't effective. As soon as it dries,
it is powdery and is effective again.

I had my house treated for termites and they use the same ingredient used in
Frontline. Totally pet safe. It's effective on many other bugs other than
termites; ants are one that its effective against.