Four -eared cat and a sad piece of news

Old August 21st 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ollie2

Default Four -eared cat and a sad piece of news

href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1046684/Meet-Yoda-cat-FOUR-ears.html"

Bev

PS. A sad piece of news from New Zealand. In one of our cities a
52-year-old woman from a cat rescue service was rung by a man saying he
would kill this stray if someone didn't calland pick it up. She went out
and the next day the police found her body. They are still searching for
the killer. Hard to believe!

The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail.

Old August 21st 08, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

ollie2 wrote:

PS. A sad piece of news from New Zealand. In one of our cities a
52-year-old woman from a cat rescue service was rung by a man saying he
would kill this stray if someone didn't calland pick it up. She went out
and the next day the police found her body. They are still searching for
the killer. Hard to believe!

Horrible! It's not even safe for a cat-rescuer to go pick up a cat?
(I realize there wasn't a cat in this case, but will rescuers now have to
bring an armed guard with them to retrieve ferals and strays?) What a
terrible story.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 22nd 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

ollie2 wrote:
PS. A sad piece of news from New Zealand. In one of our cities a
52-year-old woman from a cat rescue service was rung by a man saying
he would kill this stray if someone didn't calland pick it up. She
went out and the next day the police found her body. They are
still searching for the killer. Hard to believe!

Sadly, not so hard to believe. People intent on finding victims often
tactics of this sort to find them. Something for sale they are interested
in looking at, perhaps. Or in this case luring someone with a soft heart to
a spot where she was vulnerable.

Maybe I'm just paranoid. I wouldn't go to a strange place to meet a strange
guy who threatened to kill a cat.

Jill

Old August 22nd 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Aug 21, 7:16 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
ollie2 wrote:
PS. A sad piece of news from New Zealand. In one of our cities a
52-year-old woman from a cat rescue service was rung by a man saying
he would kill this stray if someone didn't calland pick it up. She
went out and the next day the police found her body. They are
still searching for the killer. Hard to believe!

Sadly, not so hard to believe. People intent on finding victims often
tactics of this sort to find them. Something for sale they are interested
in looking at, perhaps. Or in this case luring someone with a soft heart to
a spot where she was vulnerable.

Maybe I'm just paranoid. I wouldn't go to a strange place to meet a strange
guy who threatened to kill a cat.

I would. Loud Henry and I have gone a lot of places together. I'll
take a jury trial if it comes to that.

--
Will in New Haven
“ It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond

Old August 22nd 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 19:16:39 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
ollie2 wrote:
PS. A sad piece of news from New Zealand. In one of our cities a
52-year-old woman from a cat rescue service was rung by a man saying
he would kill this stray if someone didn't calland pick it up. She
went out and the next day the police found her body. They are
still searching for the killer. Hard to believe!

Sadly, not so hard to believe. People intent on finding victims often
tactics of this sort to find them. Something for sale they are interested
in looking at, perhaps. Or in this case luring someone with a soft heart to
a spot where she was vulnerable.

Maybe I'm just paranoid. I wouldn't go to a strange place to meet a strange
guy who threatened to kill a cat.

That really sucks. I can usually sense an overall feeling of violence
from somebody and I probably wouldn't have made such a trip alone.
When a drunk buddy talks all night about fights he's been in and who
beat up who, it means that he is going to pick a new fight that
evening and if you're the one in the room, then you'll be the victim.

Old August 22nd 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:
ollie2 wrote:
PS. A sad piece of news from New Zealand. In one of our cities a
52-year-old woman from a cat rescue service was rung by a man saying
he would kill this stray if someone didn't calland pick it up. She
went out and the next day the police found her body. They are
still searching for the killer. Hard to believe!

Sadly, not so hard to believe. People intent on finding victims often
tactics of this sort to find them. Something for sale they are
interested in looking at, perhaps. Or in this case luring someone with
a soft heart to a spot where she was vulnerable.

Maybe I'm just paranoid. I wouldn't go to a strange place to meet a
strange guy who threatened to kill a cat.

That's why I am so cautious about things like "My Space", "Craig's
List", etc. (Not to mention the various "personals" and "dating"
sites.) Even people you'd think were old enough to be cautious about
them take people there at face value, with no guarantee they are who and
what they SAY they are! I'm certainly glad I'm not trying to raise a
teen-ager THESE days!
Old August 23rd 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Safety (WAS: Four -eared cat and a sad piece of news)

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
ollie2 wrote:
PS. A sad piece of news from New Zealand. In one of our
cities a 52-year-old woman from a cat rescue service was rung by a
man saying he would kill this stray if someone didn't calland pick
it up. She went out and the next day the police found her body. They
are still searching for the killer. Hard to believe!

Maybe I'm just paranoid. I wouldn't go to a strange place to meet a
strange guy who threatened to kill a cat.

That's why I am so cautious about things like "My Space", "Craig's
List", etc. (Not to mention the various "personals" and "dating"
sites.) Even people you'd think were old enough to be cautious about
them take people there at face value, with no guarantee they are who
and what they SAY they are! I'm certainly glad I'm not trying to
raise a teen-ager THESE days!

There are parental controls (blocks) that can be put on computers. And
parents should monitor (and set time limits on) online access. I'm probably
being far too simplistic. Kids find ways around things.

I can't comment on My Space (or online dating!). But I have a friend who
sold her car in a single day after putting an ad on Craig's List. (Her
husband is the one who actually showed the guy the car.) I'll be selling
some furniture using Craig's List. You can bet I won't be alone if anyone
contacts me and says they want to look at it. Better safe than sorry. It's
a sad commentary on society when a useful tool such as this could be a
catalyst for predators.

Having said that, there are nuts everywhere. In 1984 I put an ad in the
newspaper to sell my wedding gown. The only respondents were men and they
turned out to be obscene phone calls! I can laugh now; at the time it was
alarming. I immediately called the paper and had them pull the ad. Never
did get rid of that damn dress.

Jill