Collared dove for KFC

Old August 21st 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Collared dove for KFC

You all know how much KFC likes her wild food (and the vole that Boyfie
caught a few days ago she didn't notice on the carpet. I brought it to her
attention when I stepped on it but rigor mortis had set in and that is
apparently not acceptable.)
So yesterday morning when I was feeding the chickens before work a collared
dove fell out of a tree right in front of me, yes literally, it nearly hit
me on the way down. It thrashed around on the ground with obviously some
sort of balance/neurological problem. I suspect it might have hit a window
somewhere (collared doves are stupid about flying into windows.)
It managed to flap itself eventually to sit quietly next to my greenhouse.

Fortunately Boyfriend was not helping me with the chickens yesterday morning
otherwise he would have grabbed it up quicktime. I hoped it would recover
because although I know how much good it does for KittyFC to eat a collared
dove it's a dilemma for me because I really like wild birds.
No sign of birdies in the house when I got home from work yesterday. I
looked for the dove in the garden, no sign of it, so I thought it must have
recovered and flown off.
However..when I got up this morning there were feathers everywhere and a
deceased dove on the kitchen rug with the breasts eaten. I guess Boyfie
spotted it overnight.
I left it there. There was still a lot to eat on it and the old lady cannot
eat a whole one in one go any more. There's just two wings left and a bit
of torso as I speak and KFC is fast asleep. For some reason she refused her
evening meal ;-)
I was not sure she would be able to eat a collared dove now, so in a way
it's a relief that she still can, although because I love birds it's a
difficulty.

Tweed

Old August 22nd 08, 03:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Christina Websell wrote:

I was not sure she would be able to eat a collared dove now, so in a way
it's a relief that she still can, although because I love birds it's a
difficulty.

I understand how you feel about birds but at the same time it's good to
know KFC had a 'wild' meal again for a change.

Old August 22nd 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
[...]

Nature is not always careful with our sensibilities, is it? ; I console
myself that Bast made lots and lots and lots of some animals so that some
others could eat them to survive and yet there are still plenty for us to
enjoy watching.

I think Boyfie is *such* a sweet gentleman to look out for KFC as he does.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 22nd 08, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Aug 22, 8:34*am, "CatNipped" wrote:
[...]

Tweed,

This reminds me of something that happened last week. We have
"morning glory" vines literally growing wild on our front fence. We
tear them out every fall, and they come back every spring. They are
beautiful, and I love them when they are green and blooming. The
"down side" if it can be called that, is that they attract
hummingbirds.

Now, I love hummingbirds, they are such beautiful, tiny little
creatures, and they tease the inside cats mercilessly. However, they
apparently forget that not all the cats are behind screens and
windows. As many of you know, I have several stray/feral cats
outside, that I've been feeding (and trapping and getting fixed).
Most are part of one family (with Cleopatra being the matriarch -
catriarch?), and I've named nearly all of them.

One of Cleopatra's grandcats (Tennie) is one of my little sweetie
tamed/feral. She's also the fastest cat I've ever seen. I happened
to glance outside one day, keeping an eye on BushBaby, who's been ill,
and I see Tennie playing. I thought it was cute, and grabbed the
camera to take a picture. I went out and realized that she was
"torturing" something. Tossing it into the air, then putting her paw
on it and holding it down. I thought, oh, she's caught a mouse. I
get closer, and realize she had caught a hummingbird and was
tormenting it.

I tried to go and save it (foolish hooman that I am), and she caught
it up in her mouth, and gave it a hard shake. Apparently, that was
all it needed as it stopped moving. She then settled down to a snack
(a very *small* snack), watching me the whole time. I was both elated
(that my Tennie was a wonderful huntress) and heartbroken (that she
was a "hummer assassin").

DH had seen it earlier that morning, and thought there was something
wrong with it, as he'd gotten very close to it before it moved away.
I hope that is all it was, as I'd hate to have Tennie the Assassin
catching anymore, and she seems none the worse for wear for eating
it. The pidgeons? Please, they like to 'strike' my windshield on car
or my head, the creeps, but not anymore hummers.

I've not put out the hummingbird feeder since Tennie and Tabitha grew
up. I don't want to encourage a food supply. I have enjoyed them on
the morning glories, but now I chase them away. Can't win for losing,
but I love the cats too (maybe more, since they let me give belly
rubs, even Cleo's kids do, though she won't).

Nature is not always careful with our sensibilities, is it? *; *I console
myself that Bast made lots and lots and lots of some animals so that some
others could eat them to survive and yet there are still plenty for us to
enjoy watching.

I think Boyfie is *such* a sweet gentleman to look out for KFC as he does..

Hugs,

CatNipped

I agree CatNipped. Boyfie is a true gentleman-cat. Apparently, he
likes his Miss KFC (as do we all).

Smokie Darling (Annie)
Old August 22nd 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Marina wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

I was not sure she would be able to eat a collared dove now, so in a
way it's a relief that she still can, although because I love birds
it's a difficulty.

I understand how you feel about birds but at the same time it's good to
know KFC had a 'wild' meal again for a change.

"Authorities" who advocate allowing cats to be indoor/outdoor claim that
the prey they catch and eat provides elements in their diet that
commercial food cannot. I'm not stirring up THAT controversy again, but
for cats like KFC, it may well be true.

Old August 22nd 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Marina wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

I was not sure she would be able to eat a collared dove now, so in a way
it's a relief that she still can, although because I love birds it's a
difficulty.

I understand how you feel about birds but at the same time it's good to
know KFC had a 'wild' meal again for a change.

"Authorities" who advocate allowing cats to be indoor/outdoor claim that
the prey they catch and eat provides elements in their diet that
commercial food cannot. I'm not stirring up THAT controversy again, but
for cats like KFC, it may well be true.

I am not surprised to hear that, Evelyn. We all have to admit that a truly
natural diet for a cat would be what they could catch.
It certainly does KFC so much good to eat a vole, mouse or a bird. It
revitalises her somehow. And improves her bowels ;-)
She rarely poos on the pure chicken diet she mostly insists on - or at least
I cannot find it. I know it must be somewhere, but it ain't in either of
the litterboxes. I might get a horrible surprise one day but I cannot find
it, as yet an4d there is no smell that might lead me to it.
When she has eaten "wild food" with bones and feet and feathers or fur in we
get a firm result in the bathroom litterbox ;-) It's what cats are supposed
to eat, isn't it, really?

Tweed

Old August 22nd 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message

I think Boyfie is *such* a sweet gentleman to look out for KFC as he does.

I'm not sure that he doesn't just rush back to the house to his meowmie
saying "look what I just got here.." rather than looking out for KFC,
although I would like to think that's what he's doing.
He does not know what to do with anything he catches. He's a real hunter
now but prey needs to be brought back immediately for meowmie's approval
apparently. It's a bummer when I am asleep at night we get the rigor mortis
then and the "wot, don't you or KFC want it then?"
Poor boy. He does his best..

Tweed

Old August 22nd 08, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Marina wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

It is indeed! I've always wondered why nobody ever came out with a mouse
flavored cat food - I suspect that cat food is packaged with human
sensibilities in mind, though, not cats'.

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

Old August 23rd 08, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message

I think Boyfie is *such* a sweet gentleman to look out for KFC as he
does.

I'm not sure that he doesn't just rush back to the house to his meowmie
saying "look what I just got here.." rather than looking out for KFC,
although I would like to think that's what he's doing.
He does not know what to do with anything he catches. He's a real hunter
now but prey needs to be brought back immediately for meowmie's approval
apparently. It's a bummer when I am asleep at night we get the rigor
mortis then and the "wot, don't you or KFC want it then?"
Poor boy. He does his best..

Tweed

Really!? I thought he ate some of his catches!

LOL! I can just imagine KFC saying "well, give it here then Boyfie, *I*
sure know what to do with it if you don't!" as she takes it off him. ;

Chin Skritches,

CatNipped

Old August 23rd 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message

I think Boyfie is *such* a sweet gentleman to look out for KFC as he
does.

I'm not sure that he doesn't just rush back to the house to his meowmie
saying "look what I just got here.." rather than looking out for KFC,
although I would like to think that's what he's doing.
He does not know what to do with anything he catches. He's a real hunter
now but prey needs to be brought back immediately for meowmie's approval
apparently. It's a bummer when I am asleep at night we get the rigor
mortis then and the "wot, don't you or KFC want it then?"
Poor boy. He does his best..

Tweed

Really!? I thought he ate some of his catches!

He will eat a small birdie or mousie occasionally but usually when he cannot
get it into the house if for some reason the door is shut - then he is
forced to eat it himself on the doorstep.
Once he brings prey into the house, he rarely touches it again.

Tweed