Skwirrel

Old August 16th 18, 09:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock[_2_]

Default Skwirrel

I was looking out the back door yesterday and there was a black squirrel splayed out on the deck sunning itself. I was surprised by how relaxed it looked. We don't have red squirrels here, just the larger black and grey squirrels. But this year we actually have a red squirrel and it's a real runt. Even smaller than the red squirrels I remember as a kid. It's also has a serious screw loose, it will attack anything and even bitch at you while it's eating the peanuts we feed the birds. Where do you think the peanuts come from genius?

Quite a few years ago there was a baby black squirrel that lost it's mother, so we sort of adopted it. It would come to the door every day looking for its peanuts. One day I made the mistake of trying to feed it by hand. Did you know that squirrels have very poor close up vision? Ouch.
Old August 16th 18, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/16/2018 4:40 PM, Bill Stock wrote:
I was looking out the back door yesterday and there was a black squirrel splayed out on the deck sunning itself. I was surprised by how relaxed it looked. We don't have red squirrels here, just the larger black and grey squirrels. But this year we actually have a red squirrel and it's a real runt. Even smaller than the red squirrels I remember as a kid. It's also has a serious screw loose, it will attack anything and even bitch at you while it's eating the peanuts we feed the birds. Where do you think the peanuts come from genius?

Quite a few years ago there was a baby black squirrel that lost it's mother, so we sort of adopted it. It would come to the door every day looking for its peanuts. One day I made the mistake of trying to feed it by hand. Did you know that squirrels have very poor close up vision? Ouch.

Did you hear about the guy in Germany who called the cops last week
because he was being chased by a squirrel? Turns out it was a baby who
had gotten separated from it's mother. Authorities think it was trying
to "bond" with the first creature it saw, which happened to be a man
walking down the street.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ice/961931002/

I have a small bird bath on my back patio. It's very hot in South
Carolina this time of year so the birds drink and splash around in it
and the grey squirrels drink from it. One day last week I saw a
squirrel next to the bird bath go flat next to it. Turned out there was
a white-tail deer walking by. I guess the squirrel thought if it made
itself flat the deer wouldn't notice it. I had no idea squirrels are
afraid of deer. LOL

Jill
Old August 17th 18, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock[_2_]

On Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 5:14:16 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
[...]

So, I'm a Skwirrel Mama? LOL.

I have a small bird bath on my back patio. It's very hot in South
Carolina this time of year so the birds drink and splash around in it
and the grey squirrels drink from it. One day last week I saw a
squirrel next to the bird bath go flat next to it. Turned out there was
a white-tail deer walking by. I guess the squirrel thought if it made
itself flat the deer wouldn't notice it. I had no idea squirrels are
afraid of deer. LOL

Jill

Squirrels can be skittish. We got one stuck in our fireplace and I was worried about how I was going to get it out. So I put my suit of armor on, but it was so petrified that I could just pick it up and put it out the door.

Our current incarnation of the pond has a 'wishing well' and the little birds like to sit on the plumbing and get a drink. The Robins dive right in and take a bath. I'm not too sure how the robins avoid getting sucked out the overflow. Nowhere close to SC, but it's still been a warm summer.

An older version of the pond was much shallower with sides that let the Raccoons dine and dash. So I put an electric fence around the pond. Unfortunately the fence was too close to the waterfall, so the Robins could stand in the waterfall and touch the fence. You can guess what happened to the Robin.. :-( The current pond is much deeper with steep sides, so the Herons can't stand on the bottom and the Raccoons no longer have have fish takeout.
Old August 19th 18, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski

On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 17:14:08 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

I have a small bird bath on my back patio. It's very hot in South
Carolina this time of year so the birds drink and splash around in it
and the grey squirrels drink from it. One day last week I saw a
squirrel next to the bird bath go flat next to it. Turned out there was
a white-tail deer walking by. I guess the squirrel thought if it made
itself flat the deer wouldn't notice it. I had no idea squirrels are
afraid of deer. LOL

Jill

Up here in Buffalo, they aren't. In fact, I saw a grey (or is it gray?) squirrel
climb a tree and get an apple free to two deer below, only to get the core of
the apple once the deer ate the apple and wandered off.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Old August 20th 18, 01:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock[_2_]

On Sunday, August 19, 2018 at 4:18:45 PM UTC-4, John Kasupski wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 17:14:08 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

I have a small bird bath on my back patio. It's very hot in South
Carolina this time of year so the birds drink and splash around in it
and the grey squirrels drink from it. One day last week I saw a
squirrel next to the bird bath go flat next to it. Turned out there was
a white-tail deer walking by. I guess the squirrel thought if it made
itself flat the deer wouldn't notice it. I had no idea squirrels are
afraid of deer. LOL

Jill

Up here in Buffalo, they aren't. In fact, I saw a grey (or is it gray?) squirrel
climb a tree and get an apple free to two deer below, only to get the core of
the apple once the deer ate the apple and wandered off.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Our squirrels like the fruit trees too, one of our neighbours has a Pear tree and the walkway into the park is always littered with half nibbled fruit.
Old August 20th 18, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock[_2_]

On Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 4:40:07 PM UTC-4, Bill Stock wrote:
I was looking out the back door yesterday and there was a black squirrel splayed out on the deck sunning itself. I was surprised by how relaxed it looked. We don't have red squirrels here, just the larger black and grey squirrels. But this year we actually have a red squirrel and it's a real runt. Even smaller than the red squirrels I remember as a kid. It's also has a serious screw loose, it will attack anything and even bitch at you while it's eating the peanuts we feed the birds. Where do you think the peanuts come from genius?

Quite a few years ago there was a baby black squirrel that lost it's mother, so we sort of adopted it. It would come to the door every day looking for its peanuts. One day I made the mistake of trying to feed it by hand. Did you know that squirrels have very poor close up vision? Ouch.

The black squirrel was back again today, but this time he was splayed out in the Cedar mulch. I was thinking that must be itchy on the stomach, but I guess even the squirrels need a break from the heat. Although this is the only squirrel that realizes where the food comes from, so he could have been hanging out waiting for his peanuts.

The Cardinal came for his food about 8:15 tonight, but they frequently come just before dark. The crazy red squirrel was scampering down the fence behind him. I was concerned that he would attack the bird, so I stepped out the door and the squirrel ran back up the fence. Surprisingly he circled around and came back down in front of the Cardinal to get some food. I was surprised he came back down with me standing out there. He actually behaved himself and ate his peanut in peace.
Old August 20th 18, 02:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/19/2018 4:18 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 17:14:08 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

I have a small bird bath on my back patio. It's very hot in South
Carolina this time of year so the birds drink and splash around in it
and the grey squirrels drink from it. One day last week I saw a
squirrel next to the bird bath go flat next to it. Turned out there was
a white-tail deer walking by. I guess the squirrel thought if it made
itself flat the deer wouldn't notice it. I had no idea squirrels are
afraid of deer. LOL

Jill

Up here in Buffalo, they aren't. In fact, I saw a grey (or is it gray?) squirrel
climb a tree and get an apple free to two deer below, only to get the core of
the apple once the deer ate the apple and wandered off.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

That's cute! I must admit this is the first time I ever saw a squirrel
appear to be cowering when a doe mosied past.

Jill
Old August 21st 18, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default I forgot to say (WAS: Skwirrel)

On 8/19/2018 4:18 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 17:14:08 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

I have a small bird bath on my back patio. It's very hot in South
Carolina this time of year so the birds drink and splash around in it
and the grey squirrels drink from it. One day last week I saw a
squirrel next to the bird bath go flat next to it. Turned out there was
a white-tail deer walking by. I guess the squirrel thought if it made
itself flat the deer wouldn't notice it. I had no idea squirrels are
afraid of deer. LOL

Jill

Up here in Buffalo, they aren't. In fact, I saw a grey (or is it gray?) squirrel
climb a tree and get an apple free to two deer below, only to get the core of
the apple once the deer ate the apple and wandered off.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Nice to see you back, John! It's been a while. I think both grey and
gray are acceptible.

Jill
Old August 26th 18, 04:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tigger[_2_]

Bill Stock wrote:

The black squirrel was back again today, but this time he was splayed out in the Cedar mulch. I was thinking that must be itchy on the stomach, but I guess even the squirrels need a break from the heat. Although this

This may be an instance of anting, which is common in birds, and I
found a couple references on the interwebs, but nothing definitive.

Old August 26th 18, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock[_2_]

On Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 11:09:48 PM UTC-4, Tigger wrote:
Bill Stock wrote:

The black squirrel was back again today, but this time he was splayed out in the Cedar mulch. I was thinking that must be itchy on the stomach, but I guess even the squirrels need a break from the heat. Although this

This may be an instance of anting, which is common in birds, and I
found a couple references on the interwebs, but nothing definitive.

Could be, but I think he was relaxing while he waited for the food train.

The Cardinal sits on the patio door handle and looks in the window looking for his peanuts. We had one that would sit on the window ledge and peck on the window to get your attention.