Speaking of Geese

Old April 11th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Speaking of Geese

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 15:17:04 -0500, John F. Eldredge
yodeled:

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 21:27:45 -0400, "Howard C. Berkowitz"
wrote:

In article , jmcquown
wrote:

Victor Martinez wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
'watch geese'. Their honk was larger than their bite, although I
won't say a goose bite doesn't hurt. But the premise was, the geese
honking would

When my godson was little, we were at the club and he wanted to go
see
the ducks in the pond. So I grabbed his hand and took him near the
pond.
We were looking at the ducks when a rather large goose saw us and
made a beeline for us with very evil intentions. I grabbed my nephew
and ran as fast as I could, with the goose in pursuit!
Scary critters if you ask me, attacking someone much bigger than
them.

I guess they are territorial Ducks, on the other hand, don't seem
care too much. They just sort of quack and waddle away (or get in the
water
and paddle out a few feet). I hear swans are much like geese when it
comes
to being territorial (and mean).

I understand the requirements have changed, but when I was taking the
Boy Scout First Class test, one had to demonstrate marking trails,
stalking, or classical tracking by footprints and the like. Marking
trails seemed too simple, and tracking, unless you are following an
elephant, tends to be a skill learned very young.

So, I took the stalking option. How did I practice? Near my house was a
city recreational area with a fairly large pond, which hosted a flock
of ducks. I'd carefully crawl up on them, freezing whenever they looked
at me, and go for the mark of a successful stalk.

If I was sufficiently invisible and inaudible, I could goose a duck.

I once goosed a squirrel, although it was more a matter of his
noisiness and inattention, rather than my stealth. The squirrel was
head-down in a park trash can, with only a couple of inches of tail
showing, as he rummaged around, probably eating left-over lunch
scraps. I tweaked his tail, then hastily retreated about 10 feet. The
squirrel dashed up a nearby tree, then gave me a five-minute-or-so
tongue-lashing for having offended his dignity.

You're lucky you got away so easily. An irate squirrel jumped on my
brother's head once when we were little.

Squirrels have an anger management problem ;-)
I was walking around the Botanical Gardens a couple of years ago, minding my
own business just enjoying the plants and the tranquillity when I heard a
strange scolding/barking sound coming from a big tree horse chestnut tree
overhead.
As I looked up to see what the commotion was, a rain of twigs and leaves
came down on to my head. A grey squirrel was so angry with me that he was
plucking off bits of the tree and flinging them down.
I was very intrigued and stood and watched for a couple of minutes but the
squirrel became almost beside itself with rage, more and more tree debris
came down, so I took the hint and went down another path. I figured it
might have babies nearby and I didn't want to upset it any more than it
obviously was.

Tweed

Old April 11th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

[...]

ROFL!!! Anger management problem! That describes it exactly.

Old April 11th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Mishi wrote:

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 20:03:31 -0400, "Howard C. Berkowitz"
wrote:

In article . net,
Tanada wrote:

John F. Eldredge wrote:

If one's "resident editorial assistant" occasionally bites off the
corner of a page, how should one interpret that action?

I once read that Isaac Newton once completed the first draft of a
book, only to have his dog tear up half of the one-and-only manuscript
copy.

Our first owner as a family, Diamond was named after Sir Isaac's
d-thing. Supposedly Newton is supposed to have said "Oh Diamond, you
know not what you have done." One of the fuzzies in H. Beam Piper's
three book fuzzy series was named Diamond after he messed up an entire
inter-galactic company's computer main frame. BTW Piper died in 1965 or
so. Like Robert Heinlein he was ahead of his time.

Pam S. Who considers Piper one of Science Fiction's hidden treasures

Piper, who believed strongly in reincarnation, committed suicide.
Indeed, he was superb. The Fuzzies are good, but I confess to a
preference to the Lord Kalvan series, overlapping with Paratime.

I love the Fuzzy series, but I haven't read the Lord Kalvan ones. I
will have to see if I can find them one of these days. Piper's books
are fetching an ungodly price nowadays!

Patti

Lord Calvin of Other when is an awesome book. It's the only Lord Calvin
I've read. Are there more?

For those who haven't read the Fuzzy series: Fuzes were little bipeds
that looked somewhat like 2 foot tall Woks (Star Wars series) but they
had small bare faces and huge golden or green eyes, sorta like a cat,
cat like ears and well, I'll have to scan one of the book covers for
you. Hang on...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tanadashoes/album

I hope that works. I cut down a large part of it to get to the main
album page. I made a two picture album with scans from Fuzzy story
covers. I hope they are clear enough. The books have been well read
and loved.

Pam S.

Old April 12th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Tanada wrote:

Mishi wrote:

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 20:03:31 -0400, "Howard C. Berkowitz"
wrote:

In article . net,
Tanada wrote:

John F. Eldredge wrote:

[...]

Rats, that didn't work. Sorry, I'll try again later on.

Pam S. bummed
Old April 12th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

In article , Karen
wrote:

[...]

Over the years, I have begun to overlook the cute tails and refer to
them as tree-rats.

I must confess that while I don't understand Squirrelish, I can mimic
it well enough to be absolutely convinced I can convince a squirrel to
return the most vile of insults.
Old April 12th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

In article et,
Tanada wrote:

Lord Calvin of Other when is an awesome book. It's the only Lord Calvin
I've read. Are there more?

I'm trying to remember how the several stories and, IIRC, novels, were
collected, as I originally read them in Analog magazine. I believe
there were two or three books, Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen, Styphon's
Revenge, and a third that I don't remember. Again from memory, Piper
was working on something in the series when he committed suicide.

The Lord Kalvan books make slight mention of the Paratime Secret, which
is the framework in which a Pennsylvania State Policeman is cast into
an alternate reality. _Paratime_ is in my library, but there are
others.

It's a fascinating and systematic context, which could have been a
wonderful framework for other writers. Essentially, it's an alternate
probability branching universe, with five major timelines. On the First
Level, civilization formed from a successful migration from Mars to
Earth, with the society retaining all knowledge from an advanced
society. Second Level is _almost_ at the same knowledge level, but
there's one key branch. Third level was, IIRC, a partial failure but
retained some of the Martian knowledge, and Fourth Level doesn't have
any but had developed from civilized folk. In Fifth Level, the
migration totally failed, and any human life developed autonomously in
some branches.

Our society is a Fifth Level branch.

The key difference between First and Second Level is that the First
Level people know the Paratime Secret: the technology to move between
timelines. Generally without exploitation, the First Level people trade
and study with lower-level civilizations. Once in a while, a Paratime
Conveyor accidentally picks up a person and drops him into another
timeline.

In Lord Kalvan, the hero, a history major who became a state policeman,
is transported into an alternate Fifth Level timeline where the
Americas were populated completely across the Bering Strait land
bridge, but Europeans also migrated across the longer-lasting Bridge.
He drops into a skirmish in a timeline in which the technique of making
gunpowder is known only to an evil priesthood. It's not quite the
Paratime Secret, but his knowledge, which he does get a chance to
exploit, is a major social effect. He's thoroughly familiar with the
best of medieval tactics, and also builds an enlightened society.

For those who haven't read the Fuzzy series: Fuzes were little bipeds
that looked somewhat like 2 foot tall Woks (Star Wars series) but they
had small bare faces and huge golden or green eyes, sorta like a cat,
cat like ears and well, I'll have to scan one of the book covers for
you. Hang on...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tanadashoes/album

I hope that works. I cut down a large part of it to get to the main
album page. I made a two picture album with scans from Fuzzy story
covers. I hope they are clear enough. The books have been well read
and loved.

Pam S.

Louis will be speaking soon Brian Link Cat health & behaviour 8 April 23rd 05 08:18 PM
Speaking of tails LOL Cat anecdotes 5 August 12th 04 10:00 PM
Speaking of Fleas... jmcquown Cat anecdotes 12 May 27th 04 03:05 AM
The benefit of speaking feline wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX Cat anecdotes 6 September 9th 03 06:08 AM